Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2014, 12:08 AM   #1

"Theatre seating" layout question

It seems as if you guys know more about layouts the sales people I speak to. I went to the RV show today, and saw a fifth wheel with "Theatre seating", two recliners on one wall, a large tv on the other. Then I saw almost the same in a pull behind.

When I got to the class As, I looked at a Discovery 40E and I commented to the salesman that I would love that coach, if they has two recliners in place of the "L" couch. "Oh, they have that" he said and said there would be no difference in price (the "show discount" would apply). So i went over to the Newmars.

Well the Ventana (4037 if I remember right) was also "almost". (I loved about everything else too) I asked a salesman, and he said he didn't think they have any floor plans where the drivers side couch is replaced with two recliners. So I figure I would turn to the real experts (you guys) Anyone know of a class in this range with a "Theatre seating" layout?
cgswss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 06:36 AM   #2

Some people just remove the sofa after the fact and replace with two recliners. The sofa will disassemble and there are multiple places that sell RV recliners. Others also use recliners made for S&Bs. If you use search there are a few threads pertaining to this. Someone else will probably know a plan with what you want but this is a relatively easy mod to do after the fact. Note though if the recliners you choose are too big and don't disassemble you may need to remove your windshield to install.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:47 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Look at Fleetwood's Discovery 40x. Has recliners in place of couch and has table between chairs. We love ours. Problems of removing a couch and buying chairs is lack of space to place any type of table which means nowhere to place the remote!
Old 02-07-2014, 06:51 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have pondered removing the driver's side sofa-bed and putting a reclining love seat in its place. Camping World has some modular theater type seating on their website but they don't have any samples in the local store.

Has anyone actually seen, sat in or purchased the modular theater seating from CW?
Old 02-07-2014, 07:02 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Give this site a try. www.shop4seats.com they have a few interesting reclining seats.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:03 AM   #6

We removed the sofa and bought two LazyBoy recliners. The backs just slide off and easily fit through the door. Also moved the TV and and placed it behind the other sofa on a lift.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #7

Thank you for the suggestion on the 40x. With the OPT627-40X-D option, it is SO Close! only issue is that the TV is mounted on the wall of the head instead of on a lift behind duel recliner. If there were anymore then my Dad and I, it would be perfect (4 could watch the TV) but we are really trying to get a big tv in front of both of us. I'm still looking.

Thanks everyone!

336muffin: did you do the lift yourselves or did you have it installed? I assume there are shops out there that would do mods like this???
Old 02-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #8

We found a residential reclining Loveseat with console that would fit and replaced the passenger side sofa/sleeper. It opposes the fireplace and TV on the drivers side. It is much more comfortable than any RV after market one we tried and has a higher backrest for sleeping soundly while watching a movie. It was also $500- $1200 cheaper than RV units we looked at.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #9

I was thinking about something like that, but I just can't see how to get it in-- even if we remove the passenger seat. I realize the back separates from the seat, but I'm afraid I would have to replace the windshield (because we broke it trying to get the thing in). Besides we would have to have it done- even when he's recovered Dad wouldn't be lifting heavy stuff.

I guess I really have to find a shop that does stuff like this
Old 02-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
We removed the sofa and bought two LazyBoy recliners. The backs just slide off and easily fit through the door. Also moved the TV and and placed it behind the other sofa on a lift.
We did exactly the same thing with our last two motorhomes. Everything fit through the door. Just go buy quality furniture at the store. "RV Furniture" is a way to increase the price, not the quality. You will be happy when you make your coach fit you.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrngTrillium View Post
Some people just remove the sofa after the fact and replace with two recliners. The sofa will disassemble and there are multiple places that sell RV recliners. Others also use recliners made for S&Bs. If you use search there are a few threads pertaining to this. Someone else will probably know a plan with what you want but this is a relatively easy mod to do after the fact. Note though if the recliners you choose are too big and don't disassemble you may need to remove your windshield to install.
I agree 100% Swapped out a very uncomfortable sofa/bed that came with our unit for a "home theater" set. Best mod that we have made. Just don't look for your replacement at RV places. I think you find that stick n brick furniture will be built better and will be a bunch cheaper. Caution: if the new furniture is going in a slide be sure that it is of the "wall away" kind.
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
From what I've read in the Newmar Forum, they'll pretty much customize to what you want. Could you have them substitute recliners for the couch on the driver's side? OR have them leave out the couch on that side & get 2 La-Z-Boy recliners - those would be easy to get in the door (than a reclining loveseat) with the backs off.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
From what I've read in the Newmar Forum, they'll pretty much customize to what you want. Could you have them substitute recliners for the couch on the driver's side? OR have them leave out the couch on that side & get 2 La-Z-Boy recliners - those would be easy to get in the door (than a reclining loveseat) with the backs off.

Lori-
You know I'm a little surprised the salesperson didn't mention that when I was looking at Ventana. I told him I really liked that coach and told him it would be perfect if it had a recliners- and he looked at the other floor plans and said they didn't have it.

We have been talking about the different things I have looked at and we have looked up on the web, and he is sure we are going to go ahead with a custom build. Hes going to be living in this full time after our trip (I still think we will be gone for a lot longer then two years.) His banker buddy told us the unit they have is a Newmar "All Star", 42 ft diesel pusher. I have not seen it yet, but we are told its a "toy hauler", which would be great with us. If we get that, I'm sure Dad will have the inside redone and put in some sort of "TV Room" For what we could buy the banks position on that, we could have a LOT of remodeling done.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a Dutch Star 4369 that has the theatre seating you are looking for. This one also has the optional couch in front of the TV cabinet, as well as the larger buffet with table and chairs. The standard floor plan has a bar counter with 2 mounted stools.

I'm sure Newmar would option in the 2 chairs in place of the couch, and the advantage you have on the 4037 vs the 4369 shown here, is that the 4037 has a standard couch that is 8" wider - so you could probably get a larger table between the two chairs

2014 0 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 Class A Diesel Motorhome (Stock# 7965)

The 4369 floor plan comes "standard" like this (Mountain Aire shown)

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote