Originally Posted by DNVGolden
I have arthritis in my hands and my husband is 90 y.o. and doesn't have the strength in his hands that he used to. Neither of us can tighten the bayonet type sewer hoses. I was excited to get the Thetford Smart Drain. It seemed like such a good idea! However, today was the first time we used it and we could not stop it from leaking at both ends. We reattached the hose several times using the Sure Lock tabs and it still leaked. Fortunately we were at a dump site that had a concrete apron around the hole so we could rinse the mess down. I had put a absorbent "potty" pad under the connection from the coach so we were able to contain the mess there. I am so disappointed! I really need this to work. Does anyone have this system and could offer some suggestion. I did read some reviews and comments were made to be certain you got the hose seated squarely--I really thought I had done that. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!! Donna
I am so sorry that they have not fixed this ongoing problem. I purchased one and it leaked at the coach end almost immediately. When I took the fitting off to see what was wrong, the gasket was out of place and not sealing correctly. I fiddled with it to try to get it to stay in place but it finally got sucked down the hose and into never never land.
The company sent me a complete new kit saying that the adapter had been improved. NOT! Same thing happened. They sent me another complete kit.(
) Exactly the same problem with it. I managed to silicone the soft gasket in place and it lasted for a few months. But, then, the other day I had a leak at the coach fitting... again. I removed the adapter and the gasket was pulled partially into the goesouter!
I was at a Ace Hardware getting some electrical stuff. I noticed a $1.49 package with a couple of electrical cover gaskets. I bought it.
With bad hands this may be a problem to do. Get some help. Push the black gasket holder out of the grey adapter ring. Place the gasket ring end on the new gasket, trace and cut as accurately as you can. I did this with both gaskets in the package. I used water proof wood glue on the gasket and glued it int the (cleaned) ring grove. I glued the second gasket to the first one. I carefully place a box of Kleenex on the gaskets and left it over night. Then I cut the excess gasket away on the inside of the fitting. I pressed the assembly back together (with a pair of good helper hands) and put it on the coach drain. Pulled up tight and does not leak. Will know more in a couple of months of use.
Now, the dog ear fittings... These work very well but... You MUST get the fitting to stay aligned when closing the ears. If it is not latched properly it will leak. With practice I can get it to go on correctly with a try or two. Look very closely at the fittings alignment when you connect them. They must look perfect in alignment all around. If one person pushes the hosed together and the other closed the dogs it might work easier.
I hope this helps. Please let us here know if you have success with doing the above.