Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2015, 08:24 PM   #1

Thinking about flipping my 2015 Georgetown XL for a 2016 Berkshire XL 400BH DP

Love my current coach but no mater how much I try to improve it, I don't think I will be completely satisfied. I bought my class A last September in exchange for a class C RV and I was hoping for much more.

Perhaps my expectations are too high on the way a nice motorhome is suppose to run and I my be desapointed with a DP so that is why I am still debating. My dealer as a brand new 2016 on the lot exactly how I would've built so very tempting. ..

If anyone had experience with a DP, would you go back to a DP or its more or less a waste of money?
2015 Georgetown XL 350TS FireMist | Firestone Ride Rite 4 corners air bags | Koni’s FSD Shocks | Safe T Plus | BlueOx Rear Track| 5 Star Tuned | Centramatic's Wheel Balancers | Best handling Georgetown XL Bare None !!!
johnnya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2015, 09:47 PM   #2

Yep, it happens to many of us. I had a 2103 Allegro 36LA. Nice coach and we were quite happy with it. Seven months later we made the mistake of going through a 2014 Phaeton 42 LH. Dang this is nice.
You will probably get all sorts of responses about how much you will lose on the trade, you should get your last coach first, you should have done more research first, etc etc. take the good with the bad and sort through what makes since.
I don't know of too many people who have gone from a gas to a DP and regretted it. I also know there are lots of people who happy with there gas coach and have no intention of ever going to a DP.
Just do what your comfortable with. These are all depreciating assets and in the long run it just doesn't make much of a financial difference.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You only live once, get a coach you are happy with.
Had a gas coach and now a dp.
Could never see going back to gas, but that's just us.
If you haven't driven the dp dont.
Unless you are ready to trade!
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:42 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I enjoyed my 2009 Safari Simba 33SDD, but it needed some improvements in the handling dept. from day one. I replaced the shocks to Koni FSD, I performed the cheap handling fix, installed Safe-T-Plus, installed a rear trac bar, and had the UltraPower upgrade. They all helped, but it always left me wanting. I now have a 41ft., tag axle, 2015 Newmar Dutch Star with Comfort Drive. Such a big difference between the two.
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:02 PM   #5

There's always going to be something better, I guess you have to figure how much that something better is worth to you and how much your willing to pay to get it.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:01 AM   #6

we traded from a 13Blackwood 5wheel to a 15Georgetown to a new 14Palazzo 33.3Bunkhouse - all within 3 months last year. We have never looked back with the DP compared to the gasser and 5er. Set up is so much easier, the air bags are a big difference between the gasser and DP, and the floor plan is finally what suits us!
(though we ARE looking at trading to a FR Charleston 430BH tag axle bunkhouse!)
: ) do what suits you...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Nows the time, while you can still get top dollar for your 15. The 16 will still cost the same 6 months from now, but your 2015 depreciation will be more.

We went from a C to a 35ft diesel and rarely look back. It has all we needed. The air ride and engine in the back plus now the cheaper diesel fuel and better mpg makes it worthwhile. Just like you we had to justify the money difference, and so far we are ok. Although the diesel is expensive upkeep.
Good luck. If the money doesn't strap you, go for it.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:50 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnya View Post
Love my current coach but no mater how much I try to improve it, I don't think I will be completely satisfied. I bought my class A last September in exchange for a class C RV and I was hoping for much more.

Perhaps my expectations are too high on the way a nice motorhome is suppose to run and I my be desapointed with a DP so that is why I am still debating. My dealer as a brand new 2016 on the lot exactly how I would've built so very tempting. ..

If anyone had experience with a DP, would you go back to a DP or its more or less a waste of money?
You don't say how much you use your RV during the year...you still work or you are retired.....if you are still working and use it on vacation and get away weekends....then I'd stay with your present coach til such a time you retire...if you do go up to a DP....then go all in with a tag axle..or you still will be missing the best ride you can et..Just Saying...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:23 PM   #9

Just do it. (if you have the dough)
Old 07-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a Georgetown owned it for about 9 month.. Went to a DP and love it....
Old 07-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #11

I've had the privilege to use a Monaco DP, and when it came time to looking for our own, no matter what we drove a nothing else would do. (Except the Jayco Seneca FED but those weren't ideal for us either) The power and ride are something we couldn't beat.
Troostr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:16 PM   #12

Berkshire all the way!
Old 07-18-2015, 09:25 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
That's how they get you to buy a newer one. Making it better than last years model.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:51 AM   #14

Thanks for all your reponses. Even if I'm only in my mid forties and uses the coach only for weekends and summer vacation, I think I will be pulling the trigger for the 2016 400BH . A word of advise, would be to try out the coach you are planing to buy on the road first. I've chosen my Georgetown based on floorplan, colors and equipment and never even thought about asking my dealer to take it for a spin. I've assume a class A was the summum in drivability and the only difference would have been on MPG. So I will take the Berkshire for a spin and see the difference, if I can see a noticeable difference we will then talk numbers. Thanks again for for your comments.
2015 Georgetown XL 350TS FireMist | Firestone Ride Rite 4 corners air bags | Koni’s FSD Shocks | Safe T Plus | BlueOx Rear Track| 5 Star Tuned | Centramatic's Wheel Balancers | Best handling Georgetown XL Bare None !!!
johnnya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow