Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2021, 09:03 PM   #1
US1

Thinking about this DP, but know nothing

Have an opportunity to get a mint condition 2006 40í DP with what I am told is a Cat C7 350 hp? The question mark is there because I donít know if thatís even the right description. I know NOTHING about diesels, other than Iíve read stay away from yrs of XX range , or motor which are under powered or X brand. So without getting into inspection conversation just yet and looking at this motor only, is it a good trouble free motor thatís not a wimp to move a 40í DP along effortlessly?
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2021, 09:18 PM   #2

Did you run car fax?
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Oh.. have you looked at tuners for this engine ? There are a lot of diesel tuners out there.. Google some of those.. I bet you can turn the baby up ..
Old 09-23-2021, 09:19 PM   #3

I've got same motor in my '05 Tiffin weighing about 29,000 pounds and same length. Not quite effortless movement but it gets me moving.

Some big hills will slow me down but I am rarely the slowest rig on the road either.

Fuel economy is another biggie for some. At 6 to 7 Mpg I say it's pretty darn good for the size and aerodynamics of a brick. Or as a friend who tows a 25 foot travel trailer with a pickup said ”No way, I only get that with my setup with no slides and a crappy excuse for a kitchen”
Old 09-23-2021, 09:43 PM   #4

Give us a little more info to help you. Brand, year, model would be helpful. A 350 Cat is a good engine depending on the year
Theturboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:17 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I did a test drive in a 2007 34’ Country Coach with a C9 400hp (yes the did make some of those) and while it was a very nice coach, I wasn't impressed at all with acceleration, but it did ok holding a given speed on a grade. I would think a C7 in a 40’ coach would be under powered, but I haven't driven one like that.

There was also a lot of engine noise and heat in the bedroom over that Cat while driving, and this was a Country Coach. Since we use the bedroom while on the road, this was a deal breaker. So you really have to go out and experience it and see if it does what you want it to, and vice versa.

By comparison my little 6.7 Cummins (360/800) doesn’t do so well on grades or accelerate well, but it is quieter and cooler in the bedroom and it gets 8-9+ mpg. All about compromise. But since youre in the 40’ market you have a lot more to choose from. That C7 might be pretty much trouble free if its been maintained properly, but I wouldn’t expect “effortless” except on level ground once you are up to speed.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:49 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
Have an opportunity to get a mint condition 2006 40í DP with what I am told is a Cat C7 350 hp? The question mark is there because I donít know if thatís even the right description. I know NOTHING about diesels, other than Iíve read stay away from yrs of XX range , or motor which are under powered or X brand. So without getting into inspection conversation just yet and looking at this motor only, is it a good trouble free motor thatís not a wimp to move a 40í DP along effortlessly?
Thanks
You don't say what make and model you are looking at. But for the most part a 2006 coach would be built on a 2005 Freightliner Chassis. I have a 2006 Winnebago Journey and that is correct, it has the Cat C7 350 HP with the Allison 3000MH 6 speed transmission.

There were some other versions of that chassis engine transmission combination, but in all likely that is the chassis it has.

Other brands were built on the Spartan Chassis with the Cummins motor in it. I have a friend with a Newmar Mountain Air Spartan Chassis and 450 HP Cummins ISL. Last trip, both towing cars, climbing hills I was waiting for him at the top. Granted, the Mountain Aire is 4 feet longer and has a tag, but he could not keep up with me.

Lot of guys out there think a Newmar on a Spartan with a Cummins 450 or 500 hp is something you need. Mine pulls a car boat or motorcycle trailer 70 MPH with the cruise on. Handles the rolling hills in New Mexico with ease. Couple mountains I climb it will shift 2 gears and climb at 45-50 MPH As a former truck driver, I was weaned on Cat. Cat decided to get out of the on road engine business, because they did not want to compromise their motors with all the new emission stuff. They still build a ton of off road and equipment engines. And you will probably have better luck getting a cat worked on than any other engine. You pull into a CAT dealer and that's all they work on. Just make sure you learn how to get at the engine before you need to, because they may ask you. But once in, CAT techs know there stuff.
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:55 AM   #7
US1

Thanks for the info. I didn’t mention the coach because I am on a fact finding mission on the motor itself. For comparison the first Ford V10 are known for blowing out spark plugs, and the 6.0’s have a history of lifting heads thus needing studded, regardless of the vehicles they are in. But to offer more info just in case, It’s a 2006 Fleetwood Revolution with low miles. I have no more info at this time as I’m just starting the research. If the motor has a history of being underpowered for these size RVs or a common issue, then that will determine if I take the next step or just pass.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
Thanks for the info. I didnít mention the coach because I am on a fact finding mission on the motor itself. For comparison the first Ford V10 are known for blowing out spark plugs, and the 6.0ís have a history of lifting heads thus needing studded, regardless of the vehicles they are in. But to offer more info just in case, Itís a 2006 Fleetwood Revolution with low miles. I have no more info at this time as Iím just starting the research. If the motor has a history of being underpowered for these size RVs or a common issue, then that will determine if I take the next step or just pass.
Just a thought and I donít know if info would would be available for that era coach, but you could try running the Vin # and see what shows up.
Country Road is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:11 AM   #9

One has to define "Under powered". Cat is a great engine with a long successful history. I had the 330 Cat in an 03 40' Tiffin. I towed an 02 Avalanche (6400#) and drove everywhere we wanted to go. The mountains could be a bit slower, but the scenery was great. The amount of time actually spent driving is only a fraction of the time spent in the RV. 72,000 miles and eight years before we replaced it with another Phaeton in 2011. If you like everything about the coach and it is truly in "Mint" condition, I would not let the 350 Cat stop the sale. Good luck
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:25 AM   #10

Around that 2006 time frame I was able to tour the Cat engine factory in IL. Quite impressed when they took us into the engine dyno test room. They told us that EVERY engine made there is hooked up to fuel and exhaust and test run to make sure everything was working as designed. The few engines that didn't pass the run test were sent to a re-work area before being tested again.
I don't think the other brands run EVERY engine they make, but rather do a sampling of production as their QC process.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:42 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

IMO the Cat C7-350 is a fine engine and 2006 is prior to the enhanced emissions stuff that went into effect 1/1/2007, so better in terms of fuel economy and simplicity. But generally speaking, you need not worry about any Cat or Cummins diesel engine in a motorhome as long as it has had reasonable maintenance.

Underpowered is a relative thing. The figure or merit for diesel RV power is 100 lbs of GVWR per hp (or less) and most are designed to be very close to that figure. That will get you where you want to go comfortably, though not as sprightly as your car or truck (a car typically has 20 or less lbs/hp).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote