Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2015, 11:56 AM   #1

Thor A.C.E First full season of RVing

Hello All, Just wanted to share my season with anyone who owns or is thinking about owning a Thor ACE. I have a 30.1, and let me start by saying we love it. It was our first RV, so we really don't have anything else to compare. We have had some minor issues, but we expected that. That's the first thing you should understand. You will have some issues. From our first trip, we had some slide issues. Come to find out, our master slide control was linked to the LPG/CD gas detector. We had to eventually replace it, but it really wasn't a big deal after we reset the CB a we were able to extend/retract the slides. There were also some minor rattles and squeaks to work out. They were tightened by camping world "a completely different topic, for a different forum." The front Pax window needed to be replaced, and on the most current trip, I had to open up the furnace and bang on it with a screwdriver to get it to work. Minor inconvenience. One more thing, the handling was not the greatest. It's also a bit loud when you are driving. The wind will also push you around a bit, but with 95 PSI in the tires i have found that the ride is good. I will eventually get a diesel pusher with a raised chassis w/air ride. Long story short, the Thor ACE 30.1 has been great for my family. We travel with 3 dogs, "two Yorkies, and one Greyhound", Wifey, and two kids "4/10". It really has been great for us. There is plenty of room when we are driving and when the slides open, I'm always shocked by all the room that opens up. If you have any questions or comments I'd love to hear from you.

Happy Camping
heath_hambon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Congrats on the first year. No surprise since the A.C.E. line was the best selling model line of Class A motorhome in North America for 2014. Surely not a Diesel Pusher, but a good balance of features, floorplan and price point

Safe travels and best luck for continued success
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:23 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by heath_hambon View Post
Hello All, Just wanted to share my season with anyone who owns or is thinking about owning a Thor ACE. I have a 30.1, and let me start by saying we love it. It was our first RV, so we really don't have anything else to compare. We have had some minor issues, but we expected that. That's the first thing you should understand. You will have some issues. From our first trip, we had some slide issues. Come to find out, our master slide control was linked to the LPG/CD gas detector. We had to eventually replace it, but it really wasn't a big deal after we reset the CB a we were able to extend/retract the slides. There were also some minor rattles and squeaks to work out. They were tightened by camping world "a completely different topic, for a different forum." The front Pax window needed to be replaced, and on the most current trip, I had to open up the furnace and bang on it with a screwdriver to get it to work. Minor inconvenience. One more thing, the handling was not the greatest. It's also a bit loud when you are driving. The wind will also push you around a bit, but with 95 PSI in the tires i have found that the ride is good. I will eventually get a diesel pusher with a raised chassis w/air ride. Long story short, the Thor ACE 30.1 has been great for my family. We travel with 3 dogs, "two Yorkies, and one Greyhound", Wifey, and two kids "4/10". It really has been great for us. There is plenty of room when we are driving and when the slides open, I'm always shocked by all the room that opens up. If you have any questions or comments I'd love to hear from you.

Happy Camping
Hmmm, funny my wife gets me to work the same way you got the furnace to work!
Benicia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:48 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congrats,
The ACE is nice. It's good you can figure out how to fix things. Adding Anti-sway bars might help with being pushed around from the wind/semis.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:08 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the ACE. We had one for three years before moving up to a diesel. Yes, expect a few challenges no matter what you buy. MH's have all the problems of a house on wheels because that is what they are.

As for handling, be sure to check out the Cheap Handling Fix on the Ford blog here at the forum. It makes a BIG difference on the ACE. Also consider the 5-Star Tune for the engine.

Don't worry, this will be the beginning of a grand adventure!
Old 10-10-2015, 07:20 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Im glad to hear you enjoyed your ACE. We have a 2012 ACE 29.2. We put over 15,000 miles on it over the past 6 months (includes trip to Alaska) and could not be happier. However, we too plan to upgrade in the not too distant future.
RVi 2 Auxiliary Braking System
iRent2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:03 PM   #7

I've heard a lot about the cheap handling fix. I've put about 3500 miles on it this summer, and I'm sure when/if I get the fix it will be great. I also agree with the Addisons. I'd love to get something like a 38A Berkshire, or the Itasca pusher around 40 Ft. That will be a little down the road unless I win the lottery.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:30 PM   #8

So funny!
Old 10-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicia Tom View Post
Hmmm, funny my wife gets me to work the same way you got the furnace to work!

Sounds like a good idea, depending on what she wants me to work on...

Tags
ace, rving, thor