Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2017, 04:05 AM   #1

Thor ACE 30.3

We just ordered ours and expected delivery of May. I would like to hear from those that own one what you think of it and experiences. Really, what can we look forward to with our new purchase.
ohau8622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2017, 05:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohau8622 View Post
We just ordered ours and expected delivery of May. I would like to hear from those that own one what you think of it and experiences. Really, what can we look forward to with our new purchase.
We bought a 30.1 in December and have been happy with the floor plan and find it very comfortable. The 30.3 looks like virtually the same plan except the bedroom is a mirror image of ours.

Ours was a bit loose on the highway and got downright nerve wracking on windy days or when being passed by large trucks. My wife likes to drive ours, and had a hard time holding it in her lane. On uneven pavement the top would start rocking side to side or the tail would start wagging causing the steering wheel to start sawing back and forth. When it did both at once we'd both yell "We're gonna die!" OK. That last sentence was not completely true, and I'm kidding about the severity, of course But ours needed work.

I have performed the Cheap Handling Fix (CHF). Click the link and read to your heart's content. Good news for me is that it's free. Great news is that for us it was a huge help. I now drive confidently with one hand even among truck traffic and can more confidently negotiate crooked, bumpy roads without the rocking motion that off-camber bumps used to set up.

I've also bought a Blue Ox Trac Bar and hope to get it installed today -- weather permitting. I think I would be OK with the RV as it stands with the CHF completed, but it's still gets a tad of tailwag, and I want to get it as right as I can for my wife to drive when I'm not along.

Next step MIGHT be a steering stabilizer. I'm not settled on which one exactly, but the Roadmaster Reflex is a strong contender. However, I feel that if I can get the tailwag under control this won't be necessary.

Anyway, go to the Ford Motorhome Chassis forum, and you can read all you want to know about your chassis.

One more thing, and I'll let someone else talk. Our grill had to be replaced, and Thor is doing that under warranty. Our factory grill emitted a very high pitched and loud, shrill whistle at highway speeds. Or, my wife said it did; I couldn't here it. But other people could, and Thor acknowledged that it was an issue. Maybe yours will come with the replacement grill.

Welcome aboard.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:26 AM   #3

Thor ACE 30.3

Ok now you scared me, we are first timers here.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohau8622 View Post
Ok now you scared me, we are first timers here.
I'm sorry. That was not my intention. My post may have had a bit of hyperbole, especially the part about screaming "We're gonna die!" That's just me; I can't help myself.

My problem, as well as others here, is that the coach is tall. When we hit an off-camber bump or dip, such as we find at some road intersections, the top would tend to sway side to side more than we wanted. In reading on the Ford Chassis forum, I kept seeing references to the "CHF", and on searching that I found the thread on the Cheap Handling Fix, which John discovered in 2010 and graciously shared. It's free and easy to do. I did it front and rear on mine and feel I've improved the handling considerably. There's also a poll with more info HERE.

For me, I actually think it's fine now. But as I said, my wife drives our rig sometimes while I'm off seeing the country on two wheels, and I felt it still has enough tailwag to address for her safety. I don't know about yours, but our 30.1 has 11 feet of overhang behind the rear axle. In a crosswind or when near big trucks, the tail tends to wag a bit. Of course, when the tail moves that affects the steering tires which makes the steering wheel deflect a bit. She's uncomfortable with that, so I'm installing the rear stabilizer.

You'll take delivery and decide for yourself. In reality, the F53 frame that our coaches are built on is a tried and true platform and has been for since, I think, 1999. Who knows how many are running up and down the road as delivered with perfectly happy owners.

So if I've not scared you totally away maybe you could fill out your profile with where you live. You may find some camping buddies.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #5

No all is good. We just received our VIN so I'm sure another 6 weeks before delivery.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:49 PM   #6

On the short wheelbase MH's you'll get a ton of wind push by Buses and TT's as they pass you. Pushed off the road onto the shoulder constantly. We had a 1999 29 Foot Georgie boy Pursuit for years and it was down right terrifying until I installed a rear trac bar, or pan hard bar, that fixed the tail wag, a front steering assist system, we installed a unit called "steer safe", this fixed the wind push by larger vehicles and four new Koni shocks, really evened out our ride and was the finishing touch. It was like night and day, no more push or wag when we were passed by larger vehicles. We have a 2010 38 footer now, completely stock and have zero issues. It's all wheel base induced.
RJL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:27 AM   #7

Great to know

Tags
ace, thor