Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2021, 07:13 AM   #1

Thor ACE - Yes or No

In the market for a new/used Thor ACE 32.3. What are your thoughts? Quality? Best dealers?
KniRee5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2021, 07:20 AM   #2

You might want to look thru the Thor forum here

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:47 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First off, welcome to Irv2! Here, you will find lots of answers to questions that you didn't even know you had!

The Thor ACE is an introductory Class A. As such, many of its features are not substantial or the highest quality. That said, Thor has packed a lot into it and it is a fun MH to own and drive. Be aware that the dog house may not be that well insulated so it may be noisy to drive. As noted, there are a lot of posts concerning it on the Thor forum.

We had one for four years and it worked well for us. We did put some improvements into it (5-star tuning, handling improvements, fuel pump upgrade, etc), but overall a nice little MH.

Good luck in your search for the perfect MH!
Old 05-29-2021, 07:52 AM   #4

Thanks. Great info
Old 05-30-2021, 05:31 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Let me start by saying I don't have an ACE so I can't give you first hand advise.

This is a video that was posted, so if you do proceed make sure you take a good hard look before paying and driving off dealer lot.

Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 06:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KniRee5 View Post
In the market for a new/used Thor ACE 32.3. What are your thoughts? Quality? Best dealers?
We have a 2014 Ace 30.2. We have been happy with it. As stated above it is entry level motorhome and for the price it is a great value. Any motorhome in that same price point is going to have similar or the same components. Donít let brand sway you they are all similar and product lines are similar going up from Ace to Challenger on Thor and the other manufacturers are same.

The doghouse insulation is a standard issue on all gas coaches. We havenít done anything on ours and have found when climbing mountains the engine screams a bit but I might just have gotten used to it. Maybe since I have five kids under 12 it drowns the noise from back so I havenít fixed it 😂.

I would not hesitate to buy another Thor product and I donít regret buying the Ace model I have.

In looking at the 32.3 model it is basically same floorplan as mine. They made it a foot bigger to fit king size bed and the bathroom is layed out a bit different. The waste tank is 40 gallons which I wish ours had. I wouldnít hesitate if this floorplan works for you.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:00 AM   #7

There are lots of them on the road - They must work pretty well! Go for it.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:19 AM   #8

Our first motor home was a 2017 ACE 29.3. Agree with above comments regarding their being "entry level". However, it suited us fine at the time, but we were ready to move on, and wanted a bit more room.

The 29.3 storage is ample, and features are pretty well thought out. Towing capacity is actually more than many comparable models.

Like many (if not most) motor homes, being a DIY-er is a big plus, as you'll no doubt encounter all sorts of glitches along the road.

Good luck with the search, and let us know what you find!

Mickey
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 05:00 PM   #9

Thanks for all the great feed back.
Old 05-30-2021, 05:14 PM   #10

I dont have an Ace but do have a Hurricane by Thor. Thor motorhomes are not known for quality builds. What they are, are cheaply built motorhomes sold at low prices. They have a forum you may want to peruse before you buy. Lots of complaints as well as those that love their coaches. I work on my Hurricane all the time fixing the things that were not properly done at the factory during its manufacture. So if you are handy and like to fix things a Thor product may be your best bet.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:12 PM   #11

We purchased a used 30.3 2019 from CW in AZ in Jan 2020

This truly is an entry level coach.
EXAMPLE: When you repair things, be ready for the screws to strip out when you remove a panel to do work, and then try to put it back on.

You need to be ready to have little irritating issues.
I was ready, so I don't regret our purchase at all. We enjoy it every time we take it out.
Purchased with 4,200 miles, we have put about 6k more on it.

One side note that might make you realize how much THOR thinks of the ACE.
The warranty on the house is null if you full time, or rent the unit out. NICE.
I would expect all coaches at the price point to not be much different.

Again - I would buy it again. I had my eyes open.
GordSClemnte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KniRee5 View Post

A friend has an Ace 31'. She's happy.
Bookmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:12 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm in my tenth year of weekend and summer travels in the cousin of the Ace (see signature) and couldn't be happier. The house systems and chassis have performed as expected over the years. Have never needed to take the coach to an RV or Ford service center to have anything repaired or serviced. Never had to end an outing early due to a system failure.

I acquired used from a dealer that only deals in used rigs back in 2011. Spent several hours without the sales staff present going thru the coach looking for problems and issues. Only down checks were the roof seals needed work and all six tires were bald (repo swap as the coach only had 18K miles). Negotiated a fair price and never looked back. Either know how to inspect a rig or hire someone to do it for you and if you're not willing to walk away from a potential sale then hire someone since your opinion is biased. If you find one that is well maintained, the floor plan fits you intended usage and the price is within your budget then go for it.

At present I probably would not buy a Thor model only because they do not have a floor plan I am interested in. I'm waiting on my lottery numbers to come in for a two or three year old Tiffin Allegro 34PA.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
Let me start by saying I don't have an ACE so I can't give you first hand advise.

This is a video that was posted, so if you do proceed make sure you take a good hard look before paying and driving off dealer lot.

That was funny...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, thor