Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2019, 09:28 AM   #15

I like a combo system, maybe smaller generator, hybrid inverter, large solar and LiFePo battery bank (not enough to completely replace gen.) upgraded chargers/alternators.
After the flywheel bolts backed out on our brand new Palazzo generator on our first dry camping trip, I was glad I had just added mid sized solar and LiFePo batteries.
Eliminate or reduce impacts of "single point failures"
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2019, 09:36 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBoz View Post
It's not just Tesla, but they have been the brand most affected by fires in vehicles.

Lithium ion batteries have also caused fires in laptop computers, cell phones, cameras, hoverboards, kids' remote controlled toys, and even e-cigarettes. The vast majority of these use relatively small batteries, and the resulting fires are usually easily contained.

Not so with vehicles, which use sizable banks of batteries. Just one example of the intensity of a Tesla fire in Shanghai last month - - https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...7&action=click

I don't know about anybody else, but I'd prefer not to be sleeping in the confines of an RV if an intense fire like that broke out in its battery bank.

Throw cut-rate cheaply produced, poorly engineered lithium ion batteries into the mix, and you've got a disaster waiting to happen.
I can definitely appreciate your concern for safety.
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBoz View Post
It's not just Tesla, but they have been the brand most affected by fires in vehicles.

Lithium ion batteries have also caused fires in laptop computers, cell phones, cameras, hoverboards, kids' remote controlled toys, and even e-cigarettes. The vast majority of these use relatively small batteries, and the resulting fires are usually easily contained.

Not so with vehicles, which use sizable banks of batteries. Just one example of the intensity of a Tesla fire in Shanghai last month - - https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...7&action=click

I don't know about anybody else, but I'd prefer not to be sleeping in the confines of an RV if an intense fire like that broke out in its battery bank.

Throw cut-rate cheaply produced, poorly engineered lithium ion batteries into the mix, and you've got a disaster waiting to happen.
The Tesla fire in China is still being investigated. I believe Tesla uses a different lithium ion chemistry from LiFePO4.
Other types of lithium batteries (hoverboards, computers, phones, etc.) are of a different chemistry.
LiFePO4 (as used in RVs) is generally considered safe and certainly much safer than other chemistry used in smaller devices.
But to each their own. I have them (LiFePO4), researched them, use them and feel safe with them. I certainly don't worry about them starting on fire while I am sleeping. I am more concerned that the pedestal I am plugged into is faulty and/or the wiring in my RV has come loose over time and therefore creating a fire due to loose connections generating heat and fire. When was the last time you checked your breakers and screws in your electrical panel???
Old 05-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #18

Wouldn't that pretty much eliminate boondocking in the NW - say Seattle/Portland when the clouds turn gray and raining for four months?
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightUR View Post
From what I understand the capacity is there and, there are 3 ways to charge this "Battery pack." I think they said the rig has an additional 58V alternator that charges or keeps the "Battery pack" charged while driving down the road. Then you can charge it with shore power at the CG. Then/or the 300V solar panels on the roof.,,,
There are problems with the power numbers and descriptions in the article. Specifically -

A. How quickly will a 540-watt roof-mounted solar panel array recharge a half depleted 36.4 kWh battery bank?

B. If shore-power charging relies on three pure-sine inverters for roughly 11,000 watt of energy what will the recharge rate be?

C. What is the additional loading on the power train when running an 11-kW 58V alternator to support the roof A/C(s) when on the road and the dash A/C is not adequate?

D. And the big unknown, what is the power consumption rate of the temperature controlled compartment the batteries are located in?
Old 05-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've been saying for years that all electric is the future of RV's. That would include big enough batteries to eliminate the generator, but not in my lifetime. Large electric vehicles will work it's way through the trucking industry and eventually end up in RV's. Maybe by 2040?
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:16 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I’m very concerned that Thor will kill entegra
Samuise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuise View Post
I’m very concerned that Thor will kill entegra
IMO they did as soon as they bought them.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:58 PM   #23

Ridiculous...
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:22 PM   #24

I'm old school, I'll stay with Genset.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:48 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
There are problems with the power numbers and descriptions in the article. Specifically -

A. How quickly will a 540-watt roof-mounted solar panel array recharge a half depleted 36.4 kWh battery bank?

B. If shore-power charging relies on three pure-sine inverters for roughly 11,000 watt of energy what will the recharge rate be?

C. What is the additional loading on the power train when running an 11-kW 58V alternator to support the roof A/C(s) when on the road and the dash A/C is not adequate?

D. And the big unknown, what is the power consumption rate of the temperature controlled compartment the batteries are located in?

C. I bet the additional load on the engine will exceed the fuel burn of the genny and drive engine combined.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:17 PM   #26

I live in the south, air conditioning is life support, I would not buy this thing
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:20 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Wouldn't that pretty much eliminate boondocking in the NW - say Seattle/Portland when the clouds turn gray and raining for four months?
how so? Solar panals are not the ONLY source of energy(supply). Hmm, did you read the article?
Old 05-07-2019, 07:28 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post

Having read the article I'm sure you picked up on the fact that it's a Concept vehicle.
So....do you have an Opinion about this "futuristic" technology, or did you just want to inform us about why you think the "numbers" are problematic?
(it's concept vehicle, so I get it that the numbers aren't perfect yet).

Tags
diesel, generator, lithium, power, solar, thor