Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2019, 07:48 AM   #1

Thor Freedom Traveler A30

We’re looking at upgrading from our travel trailer to a class A. We saw this Thor and fell in love with the layout. Upon initial inspection, I would say it looked and felt very good in terms of quality in this price range. When I got home and did some research, I was scared off by the initial reviews I found. Spending more time this morning I have found a mixed bag of reviews. As is always the case, people generally only post negatives. Seems like all manufacturers have their problems. Anyone driving this particular model? What are your Thor experiences? Appreciate any feedback.
Ebuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #2

I bought a 2017 Thor Axis last year. It was a year old so some repairs may have been made by the PO.

The chassis is Ford so whatever goes wrong with it, its the same chassis as any newer class A or class C gas motor home. No one else is building them.

All of the accessories and components are the same as in other RVs so their problems are industry wide. Haven't had any except the stove burners had stripped screws and fell out while traveling. A quick fix with longer screws.

That leaves assembly and fit & finish. Being a lower cost RV, some of the fit is not as good as high end RVs. Things like moldings are pin nailed with the tiny holes showing. They use light material to keep weight down and low wage assemblers to build them.

We spent 7 months in ours over last winter and are now heading south again. We did some stuff to make it ours, but nothing really broke from use.

I have read about slides acting up, but with our small rear slide, its been fine. The switch is near the door but I plan on moving it back near the bedroom so I can watch for blankets or pillows falling that could jam it.

Our Axis is built on a E450 chassis like a class C. It doesn't have the large carrying capacity and storage of a class A but because its carrying near its max weight, it rides smoother.

Many class A owners are adding all sorts of devices and messing with tire pressures to smooth out and stabilize the ride and handling.

My Axis has upgraded antisway bars but they were already on it along with Sumo Springs. I removed the Sumo Springs and that returned the ride to what I expected.

What ever you pick, take it on a long ride. Get up to highway speed, hit some bumps and pay close attention to how it handles. Most of all, don't believe the salesman, if he says that he can fix the handling.

Good luck.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:37 PM   #3

Thanks much
Ebuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:02 AM   #4

There was a recent active thread called something like Happy Thor Owners. Find and read it. We are one. The best summary I can give you is that Thor sells more RVs than anyone else so naturally has more lemons, but your chances of getting one are no worse with Thor than Newmar and Tiffen. We too found that Thor floorplans worked best for us.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor, travel