Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2020, 12:36 PM   #1

Thor Magnitude to a Discovery LXE

I currently own a Thor Magnitude. I picked it up at the dealership 11 weeks ago. it has been at Camping World (I know) for 8.5 weeks for warranty repairs. I'm so over Thor! I'm looking at moving up to a Discovery LXE 40M. Love the floorplan. Thoughts? Am I making a good decision? Help!
Neeto63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2020, 06:14 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As a current Fleetwood owner, I'd say they are about mid-pack as far as overall quality goes. So you can figure within the first year, you will make the migration to Decatur, Ind. to get your punch list of warranty issues resolved. We did, had about 15 minor items that we wanted the factory to resolve, not going to waste time taking the rig to a dealer. Overall, we have been very satisfied with our Discovery.

The 2020 Discovery's have really moved up-market since our 2018. Aqua Hot, digital dash, technology package and the new improved chassis. We've certainly considered trading up.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:44 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have had our 40M since June. So far its been a great coach. We love the floorplan, especially the rear bathroom. I feel we got a lot of "bang for our buck"... We bought our's off the lot. The only extra options our "M" came with was the rear Girard awning (the front Girard is standard), and rear floor heat (front is standard).

Some of the features include, stationary satellite dish, WiFi Ranger, King Cell Phone Booster, dishwasher, Mobileye Collision Monitor, 3 15K A/C's (one with heatpump). dropdown bed over driver/passenger seats, Aquahot hydronic heating system/water heater, water hose and electric cable on electric reels, 380HP ISL 9 Cummins engine... There's a lot more, but you get the picture...

We had a few warranty items, but certainly no show stoppers. So far, the things that we have experienced are: 1 headlight out (no changeable bulb), scratch in the fridge door, pinhole in one of the MCD shades, loose tail light, loose hydraulic reservoir pump, light strip in rear Girard awning has a bad section of LED's, and the Whirlpool washer has an issue...

So far I have been very satisfied with the coach!
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeto63 View Post
I currently own a Thor Magnitude. I picked it up at the dealership 11 weeks ago. it has been at Camping World (I know) for 8.5 weeks for warranty repairs. I'm so over Thor! I'm looking at moving up to a Discovery LXE 40M. Love the floorplan. Thoughts? Am I making a good decision? Help!
IF you bought the Magnitude NEW, you should be prepared for a financial beatdown, unless you can get the dealer and/or Thor to unwind the original purchase. But, there is not much point in keeping a coach you have lost faith in. These things are supposed to be fun, not frustration. Good luck.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:06 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Two of us bought Discovers LXE in 2017. Mine spent lots time getting repaired. Including our kitchen counter coming loose and when factory repaired it they. put 13 screws though the. outside long slide wall. We. also had leak that the factory could find and our fancy touch panels would randomly quick working. Our fresh tank drain broke off and when repairing it we found the words "BROKE" and the words 'REPAIRED" written in felt pen on the top of the fresh water tank.

Our friend that bought at the same time as us has never been in for repair and nothing has broke that couldn't be fix with a screw driver. It just the luck. of the draw - you may get good one and may be one with problems.

Just note - My Newmar the only thing that broke is one shade and several plastic door catches over the last year.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:08 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

As CWSWine described, it's unpredictable whether the Discovery would be better or worse because individual unit quality is horribly inconsistent at all the manufacturers. In general the Discovery is a pretty decent coach, though. Mid range in price and overall quality.

Trading your Thor would be a financial disaster at this point. Hard to justify, not matter how frustrated you are. Sometimes its cheaper/easier to pay somebody else to fix it rather than depend on warranty or trade, but that assumes you can find a repair tech or shop that can do better. Sometimes mobile techs are better than any dealer shop.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:50 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No contest, Thor or Fleetwood. I have a Discovery, it's had no recalls. Check Thor's reputation.

Tags
cover, discovery, thor