Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2017, 10:07 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
I hate to rock the "Thor Sucks" boat, but our experience is almost the exact opposite. We walked into the show in Raleigh last February with a short list of 5ers and walked out with a new Thor WS31 Quantum. We walked in and this coach was the third one that we had looked at. We found a big thing on this one that wasn't on any other class C or class A in our range. Later we found the exact 5er we were looking for except the garage was too small. We were willing to h/a to the dealership and would have been there 15/25 minutes before closing, but the rep at the show refused to even call and see if someone would stay a few minutes late to look at that single unit. We came back to this class C and sat down with a VP from Thor. We went through this coach and looked all through the cabinets and mechanical. We went and did the PDI on the following Wednesday. Since the first week in March, it has been back to the dealer twice. Once for a fiberglass tab in the LED panel on the overhead that had broken and the light was loose, and the second was to get LP on my way to a camping trip. I have a running list of things to address under warranty. The worst things on the list are mainly from wires and hoses that crimp or bind (or where) when the slide moves. I have addressed most of this simply by moving a hose or using wire ties to hold the bundle together an inch higher to avoid the slide. I may replace two of the flexible plastic lines with longer stainless flexible lines just to give them a little more room to move. I met with the same VP yesterday and told him that the biggest QC complaint that I had was the lack of clean up and out as areas were completed. After growing up in a Ford dealership and having helped build racecars, if I see a screw laying somewhere, I try find out where it came from. The fit and finish of my cabinets and everything else is great. I know that ours is one of the first made with this interior cabinets and also one of the first sent to a new Thor dealer. After reading all the negativity, I was afraid I had made the worst mistake of my life. I find that this coach has been a great buy, especially for something with so many moving parts. Do I want to make upgrades to certain items? Yes. Do I understand the choices made for equipping the coach? Also yes. I also know that the Thor family makes the vast majority of the RVs in the market today, thus would proportionally have a higher rate of complaints.

I watched a series of videos on the building of a Tiffin coach. I saw some of the same things that are complaints on Thor coaches, and a few things that I don't like on any coach, regardless of the make. I would hate to see what the price point would be to have everything perfect and all of the systems QC tested to real world standards. If Thor was having all of the QC issues, then the dealers would be dropping them. Look through the price points of all coaches across all lines and the lower the price point, the lower the QC and yes, corners will be cut. Do the corners affect the structure ? Sometime, mostly not.

But I will ask a parting question.... How many will take the same effort to post a positive experience that will take the time to post a negative one?
I'll answer the last paragraph: there's a multi page thread on the Newmar forum of owners that is "nothing's wrong - again." It was started in response to a couple of people who had problems and can't let go of their unhappiness.
For them, their issues say more about them than Newmar. They don't get it - probably never will - but the rest of us are satisfied owners.
As someone said "if you own a motor home you need to have a good tool assortment or a high limit credit card." My MH satisfies my need to tinker with something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Newmar, of course and do take a look at the 1 1/2 bath Canyon Star, even if you have to back up some years. Don't worry about the length and the bigger the better, unless it won't fit in your driveway. I've never found engine power to be a problem with any of them, unless you insist on being KING OF THE MOUNTAIN.
Our 41ft is about it for us and considering that we wanted to forgo the tag axle, this time around. Every park we've ever been in, has had large coaches, including the state and national parks and don't think that there are that many, who have people that know how to measure a site. Really funny with the ones that have a log for stopping your rear travel and don't consider how much overhang, you might have.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #30

We went through the Newmar factory after we bought our Bay Star Sport 2702. It's the smallest and least expensive coach Newmar builds. It's built on the same line as the million dollar coaches. The line moves every 30 minutes. That means the workers can work slower on the simpler units and spend more time getting things done.
The workmanship is excellent and the engineering team has the weight distribution nearly perfect.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, thor