Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2020, 04:15 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck30157 View Post
It’s obvious that all class A motor homes have multiple problems. There isn’t any way to get around them. Buy the floor plan that you will be happy with. Then when all the issues are repaired, you’ll have a unit you can enjoy. I’m on my fourth class A, a 2019 Palazzo 37.4. The floor plan is great. The issues were many. If you can do the work yourself, it can get done right. I still cringe a little when I open the dining slide but after 4 repairs it’s finally ok. With all the problems we have had, we really like his unit.
Not all class A’s have problems. Just the ones made after 2008-2009. That’s when the craftsmanship and quality went away. After that they build them fast and cheap. The quality control departments have been eliminated. They now let the customer be in charge of that. Most don’t know what they are looking at, unless it quit working. This saves a lot of $$ for manufacturers because some people end up fixing the problems themselves.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2020, 09:30 PM   #58

I bought a one year old ACE 27.2 gasser. I had a weird plumbing hot/cold reversal problem I was finally able to solve myself, and otherwise haven’t had problems. The materials are very cheap, but you know that going in. I really like the floor plan and the Ford mechanicals are good. I’m a DIYer, so maintenance and general repairs are not too big a deal. I would not buy a new RV, first year depreciation is big and the small factory screwups will have been fixed. We travel about 5k/yr, not huge, so we just couldn’t justify a larger investment. I haul a small 4x4 behind four down, it gets me to the stream to fly fish. Plus, I can put my SUP on top of it. All in all, pretty satisfied. I’m afraid if I went to an RV show I’d end up with a payment book, and at 73 I don’t need that.
richguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:43 PM   #59

That was too funny. The sad think is I have 2015 Thor Tuscany and I have had many of the same problems.
Tuscanyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:58 AM   #60

2yrs fulltime great coach ,great service from factory, wouldn't change a thing.2019 Thor Challenger 37FH
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:58 AM   #61

I prefer my horses dead
blang311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:42 AM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Thompson View Post
I second that! I think they started by making cheap toy haulers.
I had a Thor toy hauler. I was constantly repairing and improving things that were either just falling apart or were actually broken during normal use. I was a nice trailer and I enjoyed it and fortunately I like working on things and can weld because there was a lot of that to be done. I got a lot of satisfaction out of my repairs (things like redesigning and fabricating furniture mounts, repairing and improving the frame and things mounted to it, etc) and had some fun trips with it, but wouldn’t do it again.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:13 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by aupser View Post
I will be pulling the trigger on a diesel motorcoach soon.. I like the floor plans of the thor Pallazo very much. a couple years old used is what I will concider. any thoughts on the quality of the thor line?
Own a Thor. Wish I didn't. Enough said. Wrote to VP concerning my issue with quality of interior. "Out of warranty" is all they said. Cost me over $10,000 to replace inferior seat coverings after 3 years. I can be reached anytime at my email address about this, pictures too! I wouldn't buy Thor or any of their subsidiaries ever again. Looking at Tiffin this time around. I hear they back their products, including the interior problems Thor refused to acknowledge.
Funtraveling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:37 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by aupser View Post
I will be pulling the trigger on a diesel motorcoach soon.. I like the floor plans of the thor Pallazo very much. a couple years old used is what I will concider. any thoughts on the quality of the thor line?
As with any purchase (house, car, truck, RV) there are numerous choices, some better than others, others worse than most. Thor makes a lot of different models and we've had a Pallazo for going on 2 years now and are very pleased (so far). Obviously, with any product going bad, you will hear about it -- very seldom you will hear anyone discuss how good they are having it with their particular model / brand. Our 2015 Thor is a beautiful coach, with a well thought-out floor plan. We bought it used in October, 2018, and it had only 9K miles on it. We've got almost 20K miles on it now and plan on driving it more and more, if all else stays good. Sure, there are going to be times that we are down and can't travel, but not all the problems rest on Thor's shoulders. Just recently, we were ready to leave out on a 4 day weekend trip over the Memorial Day weekend. All packed and ready to "rock and roll" and was going to move the coach out from its current shed on our property to hook up our Jeep and, lo and behold, the automatic transmission wouldn't shift out of neutral. Come to find out, the Arens shifter connected to the transmission had water in it and shorted out. A week and $2,500 later, we were fixed and ready to go on another trip. But this was not a THOR issue. This was Arens, as I discussed the issue with an engineer at Arens and he stated that they knew the shifter was bad in the 2015 - 2017 models and would retain water from the road. Yes, Thor might put a few cheaper items in the coach, like in the video I saw in this thread where "Thor" couldn't pop popcorn. Looked like a very cheaply made microwave, to me anyway. But they also do a little more in other areas and make the coach very livable, comfortable, and drivable. Good luck!!

My 2 cents worth anyway. There are bad apples in every make, model, etc.

Gene & Nette
2015 Thor Palazzo 36.1 DP
2016 Jeep Wrangler
Old 07-15-2020, 06:52 PM   #65

I owned a brand new Thor. Spent two years fixing and tinkering. The more I dug into the coach myself, the more I realized how much of a fool I was for spending so much money on a Thor. I traded it in for an entry level Fleetwood Flair. I've been in every nook and cranny of the Fleetwood Flair...the construction and attention to detail were night and day. One thing I will give to Thor was the customer support I received. Anytime I needed a part...they would send me the part quickly.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:16 PM   #66

I have owned 2 diesel class A's in the 37 foot class. both have Cummins ISC. The first one was a 2005 Fleetwood Bounder. The second is a 2016 Thor Palazzo 36.2 that I am only owner on. The Palazzo spent months in the shop on warrantee work. Un closed hole in Right rear fender from construction along with a couple other holes. The overhead bunk lift above the driver and front passenger seat kept falling down while traveling down the road because the pins would pop out. The Axxera video display / radio / removable monitor would never seat properly. The crappy main entry lockset latch bolt broke. the gas cylinder under the entry door broke off. The residential refrigerator was not properly attached at the top and partially fell out when I went over a speed bump and pothole combo in a RV park driveway. House and chassis batteries failed at different times due to very deep cycling while on display before I bought it. The control board on the gas furnace used to flood and short every time it rained till I waterproofed the bottom od the board. I could probably come up with a couple more if I thought about it longer. All in all I still like the RV It is on a great Freightliner Chassis It has a King size bed that can be slept in without deploying the slideout. It has a GE side by side washer and dryer.

If you buy one do a very thorough PDI, and go in with your eyes wide open and an axe to grind. Thor warrantee service was poor in 16-17 when mine was in warrantee. in my area. buy local if from a dealer rather than traveling for a deal. They can actually be ok. Mine was a problem because I bought at end of model year one that was on the lot a long time. I traveled a long way to get it. I did stay overnight on my PDI, but I didn't look hard enough or long enough or test enough and the dealer either didn't know about issues or didn't care. I'm still using mine and except for the incomplete construction items I wound up having to fix most of the problems myself. Very incompetent dealer service network. The only people I trust are the Freightliner service centers that do a great job on service in my experience.
Dave the mnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:47 PM   #67
EJW

Fascinating thread. Great insights and lot of detail.

We bought a new Thor Chateau in early March. So far, so good. A few small issues. I was able to fix them myself with help from this awesome forum.

We've had 2 short trips. Looking to take a longer trip next week.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Take care!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:04 PM   #68

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We purchased our 2018 Thor Palazzo 36.1 based on the floorplan and the price. Of the 2 years we’ve owned it, it’s been in the shop for the equivelant of 1 year mostly because of the full wall slide not operating properly. An authorized Thor repair facility made some design changes to the slide that have allowed us to use it 5 times (in & out) in the last 10 days. We’ve experienced other problems but Thor has followed thru and made the repairs under warranty. We love this coach and wouldn’t trade it for anything else. Thor has been very good at working with us to fix the problem and we remain happy with our purchase.
AlnDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:57 AM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlnDeb View Post
We purchased our 2018 Thor Palazzo 36.1 based on the floorplan and the price. Of the 2 years we’ve owned it, it’s been in the shop for the equivelant of 1 year mostly because of the full wall slide not operating properly. An authorized Thor repair facility made some design changes to the slide that have allowed us to use it 5 times (in & out) in the last 10 days. We’ve experienced other problems but Thor has followed thru and made the repairs under warranty. We love this coach and wouldn’t trade it for anything else. Thor has been very good at working with us to fix the problem and we remain happy with our purchase.
So you have owned the coach for two years and one of the two years it's been in the shop? And you wouldn't trade it for anything else? That would drive me nuts and I would trade it to the first person that looked at it.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:45 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
So you have owned the coach for two years and one of the two years it's been in the shop? And you wouldn't trade it for anything else? That would drive me nuts and I would trade it to the first person that looked at it.
Agree... I don’t like my coach being gone more than a few days and no..... we are not full timers.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, quality, thor, thor motor coach