Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2020, 08:07 PM   #71
CRC

Ford Super Duty Owner
how to wire brake controller on Thor Vegas 2018
CRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2020, 10:36 AM   #72

Around 2016, when THOR bought out companies like Jayco, Coachman, Winnebago (formerly high quality), they went on the list of top 6 manufacturers to stay away from due to quality issues. Not coincidental IMHO. https://www.camperguide.org/travel-t...-brands-avoid/

The THOR discussions have been going on for literally decades now. There will always be happy Thor owners, just as there will be/were happy Lada, Fiat and Edsel owners. But in the end THOR is/was a problematic company for many reasons.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:20 PM   #73

IMHO

We own a 2015 33.3 Palazzo. Here is my 2 cents. Freightliner chassis, Cummins diesel engine & Allison transmission are all excellent, dependable units. We've had only one issue with the Arens shift-by-wire unit bolted to the Allison transmission. The coach itself had many quality issues. Most were minor but no unit should leave a factory with some of these issues (sawdust in the AC vents, windshield trim fell off, windshield wiper shaft had no splines, road dirt leaked into rear bedroom, furniture upholstery very cheap & falls apart, etc). However, to be fair, I've seen many issues like this with other manufacturers. Some even worse. You usually get what you pay for. We were happy to get into a brand new Class A for less than $150K knowing the quality might not be the best. If you're a DIYer a Palazzo might be just the ticket. It was for us.
Safetysteve5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:13 PM   #74

Tiffin Owners Club
THOR does not own Winnebago.

To correct a rumor. THOR does not own Winnebago.

Regards, Jerry
JerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:19 PM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadfrog View Post
Around 2016, when THOR bought out companies like Jayco, Coachman, Winnebago (formerly high quality),
You are sorely mistaken. Thor has absolutely no ownership of Winnebago.

PS. WBGO's stock market valuation and sales are WAY up and they still are higher in quality than... many others.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:01 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
You are sorely mistaken. Thor has absolutely no ownership of Winnebago.

PS. WBGO's stock market valuation and sales are WAY up and they still are higher in quality than... many others.
My mistake. I was reading about the worst RV brands in the past few years and saw Winnebago on the list of 6. The article went on to speak of Thor's acquisition of several of these brands and I mixed it up. My apologies.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:39 PM   #77

Let's put it this way. I toured 4 RV factories with Thor being one of them. I'm not buying a Thor. My suggestion is to go on a factory tour if you can and see how they build the coaches. You don't need to be a genius to see miss placed screws or staples, broken pieces of wood or crushed heating hoses. It opened my eyes, it will probably open yours too.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:02 AM   #78

Thor does not own Coachmen either, it now belongs to Forest River. I don't think you can judge any builder by there entry level trailers and models.
I happened to meet John Hanson, former CEO of Winnebago. He considered Winnebago to be a Chevy in the motorhome world and I don't see anything wrong with that. We have owned two of them and now own a Coachmen Mirada. We have had far fewer issues with the Mirada than the Winnies.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:07 AM   #79

My Thor ACE has 20k miles and three years on it. No problems whatsoever so far except the toilet sets on a AC duct platform and my wife's feet don't touch the floor. The only mention is Camping World and their poor service and reputation that I can attest too!
terntes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:19 AM   #80

In order to clear up my erroneous post ( I was posting from memory, which is clearly failing these days): "It all started when Thor Inc., an investment company formed by Wade Thompson and Peter Orthwein, purchased Airstream back in 1980. Then in the early nineties, Thor began buying everything that had a good price and profitable future to include Dutchmen, Four Winds, Komfort, Keystone, Damon, General Coach, Heartland, Crossroads, K-Z, Livin' Lite, DRV, and Cruiser RV. Gobble, gobble, gobble, continued Thor as it used its massive buying power until it controlled close to 40% of the RV market in the U.S."
Old 11-02-2020, 06:37 AM   #81

2017 Windsport 31S - wind baffling noise through front cockpit

Hello everyone,
Please help me. I just got a 2017 Windsport 31S from private party.
I noticed loud wind baffling sounds in cockpit area when MH hit 35 MPH.

Is there anybody has a similar problem? if problem is solved, How to fixed?

I would appreciate very much on you advice.

Thanks
Joo8450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:37 PM   #82

I don't own a Thor product, or Winnebago. I did look at the big tag axle Thor at a dealer. It was in the shop getting repairs done on all the stuff that shook loose from the factory to Spokane, WA where he dealer is located. We did take a factory tour of Winnebago in Oregon after they bought the old Country Coach factory. A tour of the factory means nothing. We had a contract to buy the winnie top of the line diesel, the Grand Tour. When we went to the PDI to pick up the coach, it fell apart. Everything we touched fell apart. Mirrors fell off the wall, the jacks wouldn't work, compartment door wouldn't close. Everything touched fell apart, nothing worked as it should. We got our money back.
We bought used for way less than a new Thor or Winnie and got a quality built coach. After remodel on all appliances, nothing wrong with the old, we just wanted new stuff. We were a hundred thousand below the cost of a new Thor or Winnie. Winne abandoned the Oregon factory and the Grand Tour and Tour models, now replaced with the Horizon models. Would I even consider a Thor, no. I would not consider a new Winnie either.
Yeah, I know, you get a warranty from the factory. OK, what's that worth when your coach is in the shop, if you can find one when on the road, getting fixed? It's worthless. We have been thousands of miles away from an "authorized" service center. So think about that. Where do you go to get that "warranty" stuff taken of when your thousands of miles away from home? Keep in mind also, the lemon law does not apply to motorhomes as far as I know. Just met some full timers who are stuck waiting on repairs so they can get going again.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:05 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joo8450 View Post
Hello everyone,
Please help me. I just got a 2017 Windsport 31S from private party.
I noticed loud wind baffling sounds in cockpit area when MH hit 35 MPH.

Is there anybody has a similar problem? if problem is solved, How to fixed?

I would appreciate very much on you advice.

Thanks

I know certain models had windshield noise issue don’t know if yours is one of them.
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:39 AM   #84

And from the other side , I've owned several used class A coaches all of which I did many$$$ upgrades and repairs,and 3 new. Maybe I'm just lucky but all 3 new were good experiences.We started fulltime 2 1/2 yrs ago in our used coach we'd owned for 4yrs after 2months of watching tv looking left and replacing a few things we went to Hershey rv show,just to look, found a coach with the perfect floor plan and actually checked every box on our list of wants,needs and must haves for us(tv directly in front of recliners)we jumped in and bought new and haven't looked back. Our Thor has been everything we had hoped for and more,comfort,reliability,efficient,performance and looks great doing it. Soooooo remember,rv owners are a LOT like car owners I love -ford Chevy, dodge so on and so on,and I hate Ford Chevy,well you get the idea. Do your research and make your own decision .
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, quality, thor, thor motor coach