Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2017, 11:55 AM   #43

Find a good repair facility - the ones at the dealerships are not always the best!

In flying, there is a concept called 'home built/experimental' aircraft and the 50% rule. That is that the 'builder' has to do at least 50% of the building. Think of a Thor as a 'home built' RV - plan on doing a lot of the finish work yourself! If you're handy or the previous owner fixed a lot of stuff, you'll be happy. Otherwise make sure you get an extended warranty and a good shop to fix the inevitable issues that will occur (you will get issues with any RV - any time you drive it, it's like getting with a minor or major earthquake).
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2017, 12:51 PM   #44

Low quality build that won't last...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:53 PM   #45

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
Interesting smart ass terse comments! Not everyone can afford a $400,000 motorhome!

Any entry level unit will have cost compromises that unfortunately result in quality issues. No excuse for that but reality. Has anyone seen all the "we are hiring signs" in and around Elkhart? New people are challenged to keep up with the builds required. I'm sure training is on the job and causing issues.

That being said, some expensive motorhomes have big problems as well. Anyone read about the Newmar Dutchstar burn up? Anyone watch the videos on the Entegra terrible driving problems?
rccrafters69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:11 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Choices

All brands are going to have troubles. We researched for nearly a year before buying a used Winnebago Vista ( 2015).

We looked at new Thors, used Thors and several other brands. Knowing we were buying at the entry level of Class A's .... and knowing any brand will have issues we went with the Vista.

Why? It was the most simple in systems and accesses to those systems. The one slide only moves the dinette and the sofa, only one electrical outlet in the slide. No gas lines (fridge or cook top) in the slide. Queen bed with access on both sides and not in a slide. All gas operations are on one side. Most counter space for cooking. Basics... simplicity... We have had some issues, but that is RV life.

We do not care about TV's, outdoor entertainment systems etc. More toys are more maintenance issues. If we want to watch tV... we plug in our internet to the TV. .... enough for us.

Anyway, for what its worth... we are happy with the Winnebago.
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:06 PM   #47

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We're closing out our 6th season with an 11 year old Thor built Hurricane 31D. The coach has been a solid performer over the past 332 nights and 42,000+ miles since purchased used the spring of 2011. The Hurricane model line compared to the Windsport is about like Ford and Mercury (when Mercury was still being produced). Same basic vehicle but with a few upgrades.

You will find the wood work rather light but you need to consider the coach isn't a heavy high cost DP. There are limits to how much a builder can pack onto the chassis and still give an owner a reasonable weight allowance of stuff they may wish to bring along. Other items such as the fridge, HVAC, water heater and such are not Thor made products and are also found on every other coach is the same cost range.

I like my Thor built coach and have no reservations with the purchase. In the six years of ownership only once has it been to a repair facility and that was for a dash AC recharge and only because I didn't want to buy a set of AC gauges. How many owner of an 11 year old rig can state the same? Not many. There isn't a coach builder that doesn't have problems and the more they build the higher the problem count will be just based on population. If the rig you're looking at fits your anticipated usage then go for it. Have fun and enjoy the family time and adventures it provides.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:39 PM   #48

It falls into you get what you pay for, Not everyone can afford a Prevost conversion. I have had a Thor (Skamper TT) wasn't a POS but at the time the most I could afford. Never had any major issues but seemed to need a lot of tending to. It was not as nice as a lot of units out there but it cost 1/4 of the cost new. kinda the same if your comparing cars,boats,planes.
mwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:51 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Any opinion demeaning the entire Thor brand is just uninformed.
And Thor Motor Coach (TMC) has only been around since 2010...7 years of nothing but growth.

Thor was created when the founders rescued Airstream from possible BK. Thor has only grown since then and now includes, DRV Luxury Suites, Entegra, Dutchmen, Heartland and so many other wonderful and reputable brands...that even compete against each other - like Entegra and TMC's Tuscany, Aria, and Venetian lines.
https://www.thorindustries.com/get-t...the-companies/

Thor Motor Coach is the product of Damon, FourWinds, and Mandalay Luxury Coach. These are all wonderful RV's in many, many price points.
https://www.thorindustries.com/get-to-know-us/history/

And, TMC prices are low, NOT because of being poorly built. The price point beats other brands because:
*The best "economy of scale" - buying power for build parts unequaled by any other brand.
*A 100% Debt-Free business model - every unit built is pre-sold to the dealer network.
*No special orders - almost everything is standard equipment - but, diverse floor plans overcome the need for customization.

Knowledge is power. Bias is weakness.

We LOVE our Thor built RV
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:30 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Junk.
Explain please and elaborate on your basis of knowledge.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:05 AM   #51

Thor Quantum GR22. Good so far except for radio (axxera) not Thor fault. Wires were run by drunk monkey but everything works. Cleaned them all up with zip ties. Screws left laying around and lots of sawdust. Some loose trim. Fixed all myself except for radio. We love it and wouldn't hesitate to buy Thor again.
carlgorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:45 AM   #52

Oldbird ive found most people comments on things they know nothing about. Buy what you like what you can afford and enjoy it. Thes people making comments wont be paying for it riding in it and probley never see it.
Ive owned old motor homes new motor homes high end motor homes and low end motor homes
New high end cant be used for 4- 6 mo. Because there back at the factory being repaired so you can use them. Low end you use and repair as you go.
Buy what fits you not some one else. I have a damon and a itasta bothe are old . i would leave ti California to day in either if i wanted to lower my standards.
Kenaleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:04 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
And Thor Motor Coach (TMC) has only been around since 2010...7 years of nothing but growth.

Thor was created when the founders rescued Airstream from possible BK. Thor has only grown since then and now includes, DRV Luxury Suites, Entegra, Dutchmen, Heartland and so many other wonderful and reputable brands...that even compete against each other - like Entegra and TMC's Tuscany, Aria, and Venetian lines.

Thor Motor Coach is the product of Damon, FourWinds, and Mandalay Luxury Coach. These are all wonderful RV's in many, many price points.

And, TMC prices are low, NOT because of being poorly built. The price point beats other brands because:
*The best "economy of scale" - buying power for build parts unequaled by any other brand.
*A 100% Debt-Free business model - every unit built is pre-sold to the dealer network.
*No special orders - almost everything is standard equipment - but, diverse floor plans overcome the need for customization.

Very well said! Regards
Old 10-01-2017, 06:37 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

Im sure i will be blasted because of my first post but i have serious questions about Thor quality.

I have purchase a 17' 34J min mid July, the family got to enjoy it for a week and it went back in for some minor issues as well as some serious issues and has been there ever since.

Serious issues: Roof leaking, Windshield leaking, Plumbing leak in the outdoor kitchen causing cabinet damage and the wall slide leaking. At first CW diagnosed the slide as leaking seals but upon further research they found the slide has slide forward and has buckled in the center. They have a string run along the bottom of the slide in the out position and there is a 3/4" bow in the center. They have requested that the slide be removed and needs to be rebuilt as it has structural issues. Thor suggested a shim kit and some new roller.

Keep in mind, this coach has 300 miles on it since purchase. The dealer insisted that the shim kit would not work and Thor finally sent a rep in to see my coach and meet with me as i was unhappy about being without my new purchase of 7 weeks.

After meeting with the rep and seeing the buckling slide, they have approved the work. CW will be removing all the cabinets and the bunk area, removing the slide from the coach and rebuilding. They state that the slide will have to be laid on the floor on the service center and the plywood that makes up the floor be removed. Any structural issues with the aluminum frame will have to be welded up before re assembling the slide for reinstallation.

Watching all this happen to a new unit really brings the build quality into question, there is not other way around it. I have asked the rep about having out unit replaced and it went unanswered.

No way to spin this as normal issues. This coach has serious structural issues and it looks as if i am stuck with it. Not a good feeling.
FL_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #55

I don't know if CW would be the best one to work on it. You may want to explore the possibility of having the unit taken back to Indiana to the factory repair center. I know the windshield will be a Ford issue.
Part of the problem I see with CW is the complexity of the slide and the other is time to do the work. Try the approach with Thor that it would be less costly if they did the labor and then on the backside if there is another issue there cannot be the blame game between Thor and CW.

I am sorry that you are having these issues. Please keep us updated and you are probably going to have to continually chew on CW's ass to keep making progress.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:40 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Thor probably makes 75 percent of RVs on the road. Here's a list of RV companies owned by Thor

crossroads keystone have never been known for quality
mwallin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, thor, thor motor coach