Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2017, 08:16 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Any opinion demeaning the entire Thor brand is just uninformed.
And Thor Motor Coach (TMC) has only been around since 2010...7 years of nothing but growth.

Thor was created when the founders rescued Airstream from possible BK. Thor has only grown since then and now includes, DRV Luxury Suites, Entegra, Dutchmen, Heartland and so many other wonderful and reputable brands...that even compete against each other - like Entegra and TMC's Tuscany, Aria, and Venetian lines.
https://www.thorindustries.com/get-t...the-companies/

Thor Motor Coach is the product of Damon, FourWinds, and Mandalay Luxury Coach. These are all wonderful RV's in many, many price points.
https://www.thorindustries.com/get-to-know-us/history/

And, TMC prices are low, NOT because of being poorly built. The price point beats other brands because:
*The best "economy of scale" - buying power for build parts unequaled by any other brand.
*A 100% Debt-Free business model - every unit built is pre-sold to the dealer network.
*No special orders - almost everything is standard equipment - but, diverse floor plans overcome the need for customization.

Knowledge is power. Bias is weakness.

We LOVE our Thor built RV
With all due respect, this thread is about the quality of Thor branded motorhomes, not about the company, and not about their other brands. The fact is that Thor branded RV's across the board consistently score poorly in reliability surveys.

Thor should be using those economies of scale to buy better components, more skilled labor, and better engineering (think Toyota and their peers who have risen through the ranks on a foundation of quality/reliability) but instead (and Thor is not alone in this), volume is king, and reliability takes a back seat.

So it's the appropriate knowledge that's powerful, and knowledge-based bias by the informed consumer is the result.
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
With all due respect, this thread is about the quality of Thor branded motorhomes, not about the company, and not about their other brands. The fact is that Thor branded RV's across the board consistently score poorly in reliability surveys.

Thor should be using those economies of scale to buy better components, more skilled labor, and better engineering (think Toyota and their peers who have risen through the ranks on a foundation of quality/reliability) but instead (and Thor is not alone in this), volume is king, and reliability takes a back seat.

So it's the appropriate knowledge that's powerful, and knowledge-based bias by the informed consumer is the result.
Please share a link to these "reliability surveys."

But anyway, quoting flat numbers is easily disputed since TMC sells more motorhomes than any other maker.
Best selling Class A = TMC A.C.E.
Best selling Class C = TMC FourWinds

The venom pointed at Thor on the internet, crosses all type RV's. And as I highlighted, TMC has only existed since 2010, so much of this venom is without basis.

There is no, and probably never will be a RV made like an auto (be it Toyota or Chevy). They are all basically "hand-made." Automation could improve some things, but the scale of RV sales does not support that manufacturing model. But, I prefer handmade cabinetry,

TMC already uses pretty much the best parts available. Same parts used in most all brands - with no "one-offs" to prevent easy/convenient repair. Even Schwintek is used on some 40 brands.

And about labor, there's reportedly over 10,000 open positions in Elkhart alone. No easy fix there for any maker.

The Internet is flooded with negative comments from owners of brands bashing other brands they don't own.
For us, we've personally owned 3 different RV's which were all Thor subsidiaries. They were all fantastic and well appointed...with a price point no other maker could match.

I submit "bias" is a prejudice and never a good thing because it exists based on old or erroneous information.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bias

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:24 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Please share a link to these "reliability surveys."

The venom pointed at Thor on the internet, crosses all type RV's. And as I highlighted, TMC has only existed since 2010, so much of this venom is without basis.

Plus, quoting flat numbers is easily disputed since TMC sells more motorhomes than any other maker.
Best selling Class A = TMC A.C.E.
Best selling Class C = TMC FourWinds

There is no, and probably never will be a RV made like an auto (be it Toyota or Chevy). They are all basically "hand-made." Automation could improve some things, but the scale of RV sales does not support that manufacturing model. But, I prefer handmade cabinetry,

TMC already uses pretty much the best parts available. Same parts used in most all brands - with no "one-offs" to prevent easy/convenient repair. Even Schwintek is used on some 40 brands.

And about labor, there's reportedly over 10,000 open positions in Elkhart alone. No easy fix there for any maker.

The Internet is flooded with negative comments from owners of brands bashing other brands they don't own.
For us, we've personally owned 3 different RV's which were all Thor subsidiaries. They were all fantastic and well appointed...with a price point no other maker could match.

I submit "bias" is a prejudice and never a good thing because it exists based on old or erroneous information.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bias

Safe travels
Now THAT is bias

Safe travels to you as well.
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:49 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No bias here.

We believe all makers are bringing something good to the market, otherwise they would not be in the market.
Also, we do not knock any brand, because any generalization would just be wrong and easily disputed.

In addition to our 3 Thor RV's, we've owned RV's from 4 other brands as well...so no bias there either.

If you don't have an RV yet, best luck. The brands you have discussed on iRV2 are very good. Take your time to shop around and best luck for a great deal (left over 2017's are heavily discounted right now).
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:23 PM   #61

If I say it, it's the truth.
If you say it, it's a bias.

But I would like to see those surveys also.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #62

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
What are Sonic's credentials? What does he drive? No credentials on on the list.
rccrafters69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:40 PM   #63

Boat owners will understand this best.
2 of the happiest days of my life, when I brought home our new 2013 Thor Tuscany,
and the second happiest day...when we traded it in!
Martinichuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:04 PM   #64

Hmmm... Well, I have had a Thor product since new and dealt with many various build-quality issues since purchase. My full list had well over 50 items on it, but some highlights include:

1) Bathroom sink and shower drains not attached. That's right, water was running right into the cabinet or under the floor when using them. The wonderful pre-buy from the dealer didn't catch these either... I noticed them while picking up the coach (a 4-day process).

2) On the drive home from the pick-up in Dallas to Sedona, water was coming in from the front cap. Turns out the top of the windshield WASN'T ATTACHED to the front cap! There was a 1/2" gap all the way across the top of the windshield! I drove like this for almost a year, sealed with gorilla tape (a very effective temporary fix, BTW). When I took it back to the factory to get this (and many other things) fixed, they had to re-shape the plywood that keeps the shape of the front cap so the windshield would fit.

3) Set screw missing from a slide motor - it was never installed. Again on the drive home, the slide motor came out of it's mount, but not before getting the slide partially extended on an overnight. Luckily I had done some research and could fix it on my own, but I feel sorry for anyone else this happened to if they didn't know how to fix it! I created a make-shift shim to stick above it until it could get fixed.

4) Leaking passenger-side window. The sealant wasn't applied well and there were gaps, however the leak indicates that the internal seal used when installing the window was not installed properly. Of course they only added more sealant to try to fix it, which was temporary. Luckily the shop in Phoenix I use got it sealed but I know it will eventually leak again.

5) Floor separation from the walls at the front of the coach. This seems to be a common issue with Outlaws, not sure about other Thor models. When I was at the factory, I saw how they were put together. There are marks along the walls where screws are supposed to go. I saw fewer than 50% of the screws in the marked spots. Some were along the marker lines so that were actually doing something, but many were completely random and clearly were not doing their job holding the walls to the floor. This partially poor construction and partially bad engineering.

6) The tracks where my front shades come down were installed improperly and the shades did not stay in the tracks. Instead they hung straight down. This was mosty fixed at the factory, but it's still not a good fix.

On top of these there are many, many cosmetic issues that I've either fixed or ignored. In every corner where the wallpaper meets the ceiling or another fixture, there is wrinkling and a cut mark such that there is an empty spot where the wallpaper should be. Missing screws in the trim, things like that.

Keep in mind, this is just my partial list. I still use my rig as much as possible and generally enjoy it. I think I have worked out most of the manufacturing kinks except an issue with the chassis (which is technically a Ford issue).

I point these things out not to bust on Thor, but to make them do a better job. They have a horrible incentive program which does not reward quality, only speed. This makes it difficult for them to increase the quality and construction of their coaches and leave the buyers angry and dissatisfied. I hope they (and others) will someday straighten out their acts and give consumers a quality vehicle.

I understand that other manufacturers also have issues. Whether it is more or less than Thor, I don't know. Regardless, this thread is about TMC, so that's what I've commented on from my own experience.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:20 PM   #65

I have a Thor 30.1 many issues since I bought it new in 2014. I would not recommend a Thor product they have been less than helpful.
Eric Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:28 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinichuck View Post
Boat owners will understand this best.
2 of the happiest days of my life, when I brought home our new 2013 Thor Tuscany,
and the second happiest day...when we traded it in!

I also got cursed with a 2013 thor Tuscany... mine lasted not even a year before I got so frustrated and lost my butt selling it..
Live and learn...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #67

As someone who is still in research mode prior to purchasing a class A, these comments are both valuable and disheartening at the same time. My wife and I both love the Thor Aria; it's perfect but I'm scared to death to at this point of making the investment on a Thor product. I have to do this right the first time around.
Mccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:46 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccowboy View Post
As someone who is still in research mode prior to purchasing a class A, these comments are both valuable and disheartening at the same time. My wife and I both love the Thor Aria; it's perfect but I'm scared to death to at this point of making the investment on a Thor product. I have to do this right the first time around.
The only thing I can say I was you a couple of years ago. Go read the forums of all the other MHs pages and you won't buy a MH. Buy the MH that fits you and do your homework on the dealer you will purchase from that is the most important part of the equation Good luck and enjoy
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:40 PM   #69

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dcbenny - great advise. If you're not concerned about buying a MH, you're not paying attention. So learn all you can, know what are the features/floor plan you want, get the best price, understand how Customer Service Reps function and become you own best advocate for things that can/will go wrong. IME I contact the CSRs first and get some help troubleshooting the issue and finding the best service center. Contact the service center and work with them AND CSRs. Thor CSRs have been excellent and helpful.

One last piece of advise, if you think you can drive a house on wheels down the road at 65 MPH for a few thousand miles and not have something come loose or vibrate, don't buy a MH.

Just our experience.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbenny View Post
The only thing I can say I was you a couple of years ago. Go read the forums of all the other MHs pages and you won't buy a MH. Buy the MH that fits you and do your homework on the dealer you will purchase from that is the most important part of the equation Good luck and enjoy
I first looked at Thor, start reading about Thor and said no way. I then found a Forest River floorplan that I thought I could live with and then spend a week looking at the Forest River forum, and said, "no way I'm buying a Forest River."

In the end, I opted to buy a Thor ACE, deciding that all low end coaches have quality problems, and even many mid to high end coaches.

I went into it with my eyes open, and when I picked it up last week, identified about 20 issues, most relatively small. A couple I'll probably eventually take up to Thor factory repair.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, thor, thor motor coach