Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2017, 06:25 AM   #29

I will say one more thing about repairs that has worked for me (at least with Tiffin and my current dealer):

1. Call Tiffin with the issue and they'll figure out what you need and often send it to you (I got my radio replaced by them when it died. They trouble-shot with me over the phone and then sent the new head unit when they confirmed it was the radio and not a fuse, etc). If it is a non-Tiffin part, like jacks or the generator, you should call the manufacturer. When my generator wouldn't run (on the THor) , I called Cummins with the codes, the found me a nearby repair center who pulled the generator and fixed it without me having to leave it (the rig) there.

2. When appointing with the dealership - let them know you're waiting for the rig - and bring (or have the manufacturer) send them any parts they've determined will be needed. This worked when my HWH hydraulic jacks kept leaking down in the front - I called HWH, they diagnosed the problem and identified the parts that would be needed. I called the dealership and they checked and had the parts in stock - appointment made, repairs done while the wife and I did some local sight-seeing, drove it home after - HWH even sent me an invoice to give to the dealer covering the repairs.

3. If you are buying a rig from a dealer-tell them you won't leave it for repairs for months at a time, tell them you'll make an appointment well in advance, that you'll wait for the repairs to be performed, do as mentioned above and respect their time and they should respect your time.

4. If they tell you they're waiting for parts..........not sure you shouldn't call BS on them. Tiffin AND Thor could seem to get me parts sent to my house within a day or two (including a dining room chair).

it's worked for me so far with the Tiffin. Haven't needed any major repairs so far, though
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2017, 06:34 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDALHB View Post
Perhaps the articulate poster could elaborate on his insightful commentary with some experience or context?

Not the OP, and I would elaborate if I could, but a non-disclosure agreement prevents me from going much further than saying they bought it back.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
I will say one more thing about repairs that has worked for me (at least with Tiffin and my current dealer):

1. Call Tiffin with the issue and they'll figure out what you need and often send it to you (I got my radio replaced by them when it died. They trouble-shot with me over the phone and then sent the new head unit when they confirmed it was the radio and not a fuse, etc). If it is a non-Tiffin part, like jacks or the generator, you should call the manufacturer. When my generator wouldn't run (on the THor) , I called Cummins with the codes, the found me a nearby repair center who pulled the generator and fixed it without me having to leave it (the rig) there.

2. When appointing with the dealership - let them know you're waiting for the rig - and bring (or have the manufacturer) send them any parts they've determined will be needed. This worked when my HWH hydraulic jacks kept leaking down in the front - I called HWH, they diagnosed the problem and identified the parts that would be needed. I called the dealership and they checked and had the parts in stock - appointment made, repairs done while the wife and I did some local sight-seeing, drove it home after - HWH even sent me an invoice to give to the dealer covering the repairs.

3. If you are buying a rig from a dealer-tell them you won't leave it for repairs for months at a time, tell them you'll make an appointment well in advance, that you'll wait for the repairs to be performed, do as mentioned above and respect their time and they should respect your time.

4. If they tell you they're waiting for parts..........not sure you shouldn't call BS on them. Tiffin AND Thor could seem to get me parts sent to my house within a day or two (including a dining room chair).

it's worked for me so far with the Tiffin. Haven't needed any major repairs so far, though

Great post.
LawyerMilloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:45 AM   #32

Send a message via Yahoo to xjpr
Bought a 2015 thor challenger 37kt a few months back, nice coach, exceptional floor plan, but cheapest possible components are used, water pump failed and research revealed it was the cheapest available, heat vents-no louvers, entry door latch failed trapping wife inside,this is VERY common i've found. guess you have to expect some trouble putting a house with all systems on a rolling chassis. builders are in it for profit and the bean counters have oversight on the engineers. previous rv was a fleetwood, '02, ran it 2 years 15k miles,had some minor issues during that run but nothing major. as long as major systems function I Can deal with pumps,latches etc.
xjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:53 PM   #33

I just found a fitting leaking on the hydraulic pump for the LCI levelers. Based on what I am seeing, it is probably a cracked flare. That means that the entire fitting has to be replaced and depending on how much slack they put in the line, maybe the entire line. I have sent both Thor and the dealer an email. Best solution for me is for LCI to send a line and I can run it to the dealer and swap it. Second best is for them to drop ship the line to me. This also a reminder for me that I need to get two justin lines. One to reach the LF jack and one that will reach the LR.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:14 PM   #34

for the original post, I'll comment since I deliver many of these 'brand new' units from the factories directly to dealers: (part time, it's a little 'hobby')...

- a Newmar Canyon Star drove the same as a Coachmen Mirada Select, and the interior appointments on both are nice, but the Coachmen gave me no problems, while the Newmar had a piece of trim from the slide fall off while driving.

- my Thor Palazzo has had some issues, but I've read that 'any' manufacturer can fall into that same boat. Thor's name may come up more often, but the sales numbers might indicate why that is... there are just so many more of them built and sold compared to some others. Some have a better reputation, but your own experience will trump what others might say. Our Palazzo has performed fine, and I expect any of the similar priced compact diesels might be the same.

- what 'products' a factory uses does have some say in the final pricing of the product, of course, but throwing out 'the cheapest' and 'poor quality' terms might not be fair, considering the situation. If the public wants a 'cheaply' priced RV, then it makes sense that the factory will not put 'expensive' products in the build... it's just not practical or financially feasible. I guarantee that if you look at the line up from Newmar, the King Aire is not going to have the same products that the Dutch Star has, nor will it price the same, or anywhere close.

- yes, a larger, better water pump might make you 'feel' better, but in the end it IS only a small priced product, and it's not going to break your bank, if you consider the need to 'upgrade'. You can also purchase an Aria, a Venetian, or a Tuscany if you want to upgrade from the base diesel Palazzo, and the amenities and products will be reflected in the additional pricing.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:46 PM   #35

Freightliner Owners Club
In 2016 the RV manufacturers shipped 430,000 units, 1/4th were manufactured by THOR. Most RV owners who are satisfied with their RV's do not post videos of how great their RV is.

I have posted before that my 2016 Siesta Sprinter (Thor product) has served me well for 2 years and 26K miles. It spent a total of 7 or 8 nights at the dealers since new. Both my dealer and Thor have been very cooperative in handling any warranty problems.

I don't mean to downplay some of the horror stories here of problems with both dealers and manufacturers, and the fact that all manufacturers have complaints is not very comforting when it's your RV parked in the back lot.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:21 PM   #36

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
Nice coach not perfect but none are

I owned a 2011 Thor Daybreak and had a few issues which were not handled well by Camping World. I went back to Thor service and they made all the corrections in a professional manner. It took multiple trips over 2 years to get the way I wanted it then decided our grandaughter needed extra space traveling with us. We were impressed with General Rv so went shopping for a bunkhouse Diesel. After looking at all the manufacturers and models we decided on a Thor Tuscany 40bxxte. It is a great layout. My good experience with Thor factory service sold me on it. General Rv also has been great on little issues like replacing a rear air conditioner or Lippert solenoid on the hydraulic unit. I never leave the unit overnight at the dealer and they comply by being ready to service it customer waiting status. The point is they all have problems and the most important thing is getting them repaired the correct way in a timely, professional manner. Being an engineer, I am very picky. I don't consider my motorhome as a POS!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gk polishing.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	467.5 KB
ID:	178244  
rccrafters69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:01 PM   #37

Thor makes lower end products so you probably get what you pay for.
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:40 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2017 Thor Hurricane 34J and we love it. I purchased it May 25, 2016 and by the end of May 2017 we have almost 13000 miles on it. I had a few little problems with the coach initially and my dealer fixed them an Thor has been great. My Onan generator is another story. Onan 5500 is the standard in the RV industry for gas motorhomes. So no matter what make you buy you will have to deal with that.
The Ford V-10 loves to run 70, but 65 will save you about 2 mpg. Using the tow/haul mode the 6 speed trans will downshift when braking and handles very well.
Our grandkids love the bunks and we use the drop down bed for storage of the air mattress we add for the sofa bed. We also put a 4" memory foam mattress pad under our mattress. If I had it to do over I would buy a 2 or 3" pad and still put it under the mattress. My only complaint with the coach is the lack of room on the back side of the bed. It is only a problem twice a day. It has good storage, large refrigerator, decent counter top. The bathroom is not bad as far as size. The best thing in our coach is the outdoor kitchen!
Most sites it takes me less than 20 minutes to be fully hooked up, with or chairs out sitting under the awning.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:45 PM   #39

I'm going to just cut to the chase without going into all the other aspects, and arguments about Thor and the products they use.

The 2017 Thor Windsport 34J is a nice looking MH, no doubt about it, but you have to look a little deeper.

IMO...One of Thor's biggest problems is when they switched to Schwintek Slide Systems from Lippert. And especially on "Full wall slides" (FWS) on Class A's. I not only have read 100's, but probably 1,000's of posts—here and elsewhere—about this FWS problem. I personally have 2 friends who both bought brand new Challengers last year and both have had nothing but problems with their slides. One of them, the day he got it home and opened it for the 1st time. Both have had their MH's to the dealers multiple times—which most don't have the knowledge nor the staff to deal with these types of problems—and 1 took it back to the factory—with the Lippert Engineers there—and is still having problems. IMO, this is a systemic installation/mechanical problem, and again...especially with FWS's. Some other manufactures have also adopted this Lippert product.

From everything I've read—in a nut shell—the Schwintek slide system has very little probability to work correctly if it's initially installed wrong or out of spec. Without going into all these details, the system has to be installed and aligned nearly perfectly—which among many other things—distributes the weight properly on the rollers. There are other issues that play into this proper installation too. But, because THOR IS the #1 manufacturer, they're cranking out these RV's at a record rate and just don't have nor take the time to precisely install these slide systems correctly on every RV. On top of that, they don't check them out correctly during final QC before they ship to the dealers and therefore many end up in the unsuspecting hands of consumers that are looking at the bling and price point, and THOR it seems to be OK with passing this % of folks off to the dealers and let them deal with it.

Are there THOR Class A MH's out there with FWS that have no problems? Of course there is. But.....as I said, IMO, it's a hit and miss thing whether you'll get a Thor MH, with a FWS that works properly in the beginning and over the long haul. Are some things going to go wrong on all MH's, of course, BUT, IMO, the slides are one of the most important components of these new MH's pleasure & comfort. I don't give a rats rear end about the floorplan, if the slides are not reliable. Who cares?

We we're looking very hard a THOR product when we were first looking for a Class A and decided not to purchase...for the slide reason alone. We were not going to spend this kind of money and take a "chance".

One last thought...
You mentioned that this dealer you're thinking of buying from is only 2 miles away from home, so service shouldn't be a problem.

Being close to the dealer doesn't mean anything. Most all dealers today all across the USA are so over run in their service dept., along with the problem of finding competent staff & mechanics, it's RARE to find a dealer that will take care of you the way you should be. Doesn't matter whether it's covered by warranty or not. Buying an RV IS NOT like buying a car or any other vehicle in any way, shape or manner.

My 2 cents.

Good luck in your search.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:17 PM   #40

Thor Products

Thor is the largest mfgr of RVS from towable to drivable and from cheapie to very high end like Airstream and Entegra. The produce an RV for most any budget and desire. Due to their sheer volume of production there will be problems but as an earlier poster said we only hear about the problems. Thor has become a behemoth by acquisition but they have demonstrated that they allow most of the individual companies they acquire to continue to operate pretty much as they did. This conversation could go on for hours but it’s hard to criticize their success.
Alangrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:27 PM   #41

Schwintek

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
I'm going to just cut to the chase without going into all the other aspects, and arguments about Thor and the products they use.

The 2017 Thor Windsport 34J is a nice looking MH, no doubt about it, but you have to look a little deeper.

IMO...One of Thor's biggest problems is when they switched to Schwintek Slide Systems from Lippert. And especially on "Full wall slides" (FWS) on Class A's. I not only have read 100's, but probably 1,000's of posts—here and elsewhere—about this FWS problem. I personally have 2 friends who both bought brand new Challengers last year and both have had nothing but problems with their slides. One of them, the day he got it home and opened it for the 1st time. Both have had their MH's to the dealers multiple times—which most don't have the knowledge nor the staff to deal with these types of problems—and 1 took it back to the factory—with the Lippert Engineers there—and is still having problems. IMO, this is a systemic installation/mechanical problem, and again...especially with FWS's. Some other manufactures have also adopted this Lippert product.

From everything I've read—in a nut shell—the Schwintek slide system has very little probability to work correctly if it's initially installed wrong or out of spec. Without going into all these details, the system has to be installed and aligned nearly perfectly—which among many other things—distributes the weight properly on the rollers. There are other issues that play into this proper installation too. But, because THOR IS the #1 manufacturer, they're cranking out these RV's at a record rate and just don't have nor take the time to precisely install these slide systems correctly on every RV. On top of that, they don't check them out correctly during final QC before they ship to the dealers and therefore many end up in the unsuspecting hands of consumers that are looking at the bling and price point, and THOR it seems to be OK with passing this % of folks off to the dealers and let them deal with it.

Are there THOR Class A MH's out there with FWS that have no problems? Of course there is. But.....as I said, IMO, it's a hit and miss thing whether you'll get a Thor MH, with a FWS that works properly in the beginning and over the long haul. Are some things going to go wrong on all MH's, of course, BUT, IMO, the slides are one of the most important components of these new MH's pleasure & comfort. I don't give a rats rear end about the floorplan, if the slides are not reliable. Who cares?

We we're looking very hard a THOR product when we were first looking for a Class A and decided not to purchase...for the slide reason alone. We were not going to spend this kind of money and take a "chance".

One last thought...
You mentioned that this dealer you're thinking of buying from is only 2 miles away from home, so service shouldn't be a problem.

Being close to the dealer doesn't mean anything. Most all dealers today all across the USA are so over run in their service dept., along with the problem of finding competent staff & mechanics, it's RARE to find a dealer that will take care of you the way you should be. Doesn't matter whether it's covered by warranty or not. Buying an RV IS NOT like buying a car or any other vehicle in any way, shape or manner.

My 2 cents.

Good luck in your search.
Schwintek became an industry issue for many mfgrs. I can’t imagine how much that system cost Lippert to replace and repair. Winnebago used them on our ‘13 Journey and fortunately we were near to Goshen IN and had Lippert replace the mechanism completely (NC). An unfortunate reality of the RV biz is at times the consumer becomes the test market on new rigs or upgrades on brands. RVS are still made by humans unlike Detroit and their robots.
Alangrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:15 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Junk.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, thor, thor motor coach