Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2021, 04:46 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thor motorhomes

I know Thor at one time was good. I'm pondering an older Thor motorhomes. Just when was it when the quality went in the tank
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2021, 06:53 PM   #2

I can't say when the quality started going down, but my 2019 Venetian has had several issues since new. All the exterior storage unit doors, including the TV, all leak when driving in the rain(Poor design). I've had 3 pieces of trim fall off(Poor workmanship). I had a list of about 8 issues that had to be corrected by the dealer before I took possession. Their Quality Control was lacking when mine was built. Since I've fixed the problems, the motor home seems to be OK, but I'll look elsewhere in the future. Good luck.
Suzuki.Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:56 AM   #3

I seem to be the one with the best luck, my 2019 Tuscany has had not any issues with the exception of a cylinder of a slide failing, and the keyless start wont hold a program. everything else (that Thor does) is great. several Aquahot issues, and one issue with leveling jacks. Lippert fixed the jacks over the phone in a matter of hours, Aquahot has sent a lot of free parts. My best Thor however was the 2012 Challenger 35KT. never had one issue with it. But I bought it used, and two years old. so don't know what the previous owners had to do. If I had it to do all over again, I would be buying my 2019 this year softly used.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:35 PM   #4

When Thor was first formed back in 1980 it was for the purpose of buying Airstream RV manufacturing. The company had not been profitable for several years so changing that was the first order of business. That was done very quickly but the actions included drastic changes in the manufacturing process and in the warranty practices. About the same time they acquired the Hi-Lo Trailer Company. In 1984 they went public and with the increased capitalization began to purchase other RV manufacturers which were financially struggling. They soon became known for less warranty support, cheaper construction and generally developed a poor reputation. They are currently the largest company in the RV manufacturing and sales industry The company today operates some very financially successful RV brands and some of then have been known for high quality but there are still many in the "older generation" of RVers who still consider anything made by Thor to be of questionable quality. They are now an $8 billion company.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:20 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs down

I honestly did not know that Thor was ever a good quality.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:06 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've own a 2006 Hurricane since 2011 and the coach has performed very well over 400 nights out and about covering over 55,000 miles. I have updated and changed some of the interior and appliances over the years but that was a want and not a need. The house has never forced us home early due to a failure of anything Thor produced or due to an installation error that could be attributed to the Thor production line.

My one complaint about workmanship is they could have done a better job sealing the coach. Had a few leaks early that I was able to correct quickly and over time I've pretty much rework all the exterior seals with a higher quality sealant.

Images are from the summer of 2019, 13 years in service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_172712.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	324919   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190320_201303.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	356.2 KB
ID:	324921  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190320_201209.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	324922   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190714_090810.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	324923  

Old 04-14-2021, 07:21 AM   #7

2014 Challenger owner for 5 years and no major problems. Had a battery control center board go bad and replaced it. Water input at the rear of the fridge for ice maker had to be replaced. Both problems were not Thor's fault. I have a good unit.

Alex
Old 04-15-2021, 03:15 PM   #8

We have had 9 different motorhomes in the last 22 years. Have owned Georgie Boy, Holiday Rambler, Coachmen, Itasca, Winnebago, Jayco, and now we have a 2013 Thor Hurricane 34E. We've haven't had any major issues with it. We did upgrade the F53 chassis with aftermarket stuff for handling, but that's a Ford issue not Thor. As far as quality goes I'd say our 2013 Thor is a middle of the road RV. Not as nice as our Holiday Rambler or Itasca but much better then the Coachmen Mirada and Winnebago Vista we owned.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:19 PM   #9

Just Closed on a 2021 Challenger 35mq today. Read thousands of posts in the last years and saw Thor owners with lemons and problems. But there were were also similar posts and very POd owners on Newmar, Tiffin, and other models who spent Thousands more. I'm convinced no matter how much homework you do you can still end up with a lemon. We shall see.
tzensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzensen View Post
Just Closed on a 2021 Challenger 35mq today. Read thousands of posts in the last years and saw Thor owners with lemons and problems. But there were were also similar posts and very POd owners on Newmar, Tiffin, and other models who spent Thousands more. I'm convinced no matter how much homework you do you can still end up with a lemon. We shall see.

Exactly! You only hear about people’s problem there are lemons made by everyone.

Tags
motor, motorhome, motorhomes, thor