Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2016, 06:43 AM   #15

It's a funny thing about Thor products how people either love or hate them. I talked to a product manager at Thor last month. He said (I forget exactly when this took place) that Thor built a new facility to make the diesel pushers. As they were training new people and easing into the facility there product quality slipped for a couple months. He also said that Thor makes a lot more Motorhomes than anyone else and is why they may have more issues.

The Palazzo has many people who like it there's no question about that. And has allowed a lot of folks into the diesel market who wouldn't be without it.

And as you said it has an excellent chassis and diesel and that's a good place to start. BTW, what year is your Palazzo and how many miles are on it?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2016, 06:57 AM   #16

I was watching a video by The Wynns, where they were reviewing entry level DP's from six different motorhome companies.

The Palazzo was one of them and a couple things they didn't like was;

• the sinks and faucets in bathroom were plastic.
• the floor plate in the mast bath had screws sticking up.

Does anyone know if the Palazzo is still that way? I don't remember the year this video took place.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:57 AM   #17

20 months -
yes, Thor diesel line took over the former Monaco(?) building(s) in Wakarusa several years ago - where they now build the Challenger(g), Outlaw(g), Palazzo(dp), Tuscany(dp), and new Venetian(dp) models - like Newmar they all run down the same line, same employees.
They also told me recently that they are splitting the line into two lines - Tuscany and Venetian on their own.
I've also worked with them on developing their next Venetian floorplan - a bunkhouse.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
...where they were reviewing entry level DP's from six different motorhome companies.
• the sinks and faucets in bathroom were plastic.
• the floor plate in the mast bath had screws sticking up.
No, I own one and have never seen mine or any others with 'plastic' anything.
Floorplate? Were they referring to a rear bath model with a floor hatch?
No coach, even the million dollar boys are perfect from the factory, yes, sometimes a screw is loose, even missing, but that's what a PDI is for. It's also one thing to 'test drive' or 'walkthru' several models for a video review - it's a whole different thing when you actually live in one for a while - that's more of a true 'review'.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:09 AM   #19

MisterT, knowing what you do about the production line. Would you buy a 2017 Plazzo?
Old 04-09-2016, 07:10 AM   #20

Quote:
I was watching a video by The Wynns, where they were reviewing entry level DP's from six different motorhome companies.
That woman drove me crazy with all her cutesy posturing; I quit watching them.
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:11 AM   #21

Quote:
I didn't realize I can buy a new Palazzo diesel pusher for about the same money as a new Newmar Canyon Star gas coach.

I'm going to see and drive each of them next week and would like to know what you think and things for me to look for?

Thanks for your help
I have had a gasser and now own a DP. The gasser is loud and rough with the ford chassis. The DP chassis is 100% better ride. However, you will probably find that the extra cost of the DP chassis was made up somewhere. And the cost of maintaining the DP chassis is a lot higher. For example, the DP oil change is several hundred dollars.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:53 AM   #22

For anyone interested here's the video on the Palazzo I mentioned earlier. It's the first coach they review.

It shows the plastic sink, fixtures and floor in master bath.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:01 AM   #23

Exclamation

Quote:
MisterT, knowing what you do about the production line. Would you buy a 2017 Plazzo?

yes, yes... without hesitation

having said that - I'll chime in with my own thoughts after 50k miles since June2014 start of our fulltiming with 2 teens, and on our third coach(initial fifth wheel and gasser were learning experiences!)
Thor has designed a great option for what is referred to as a 'compact' diesel pusher coach - it's on a much lower FreightlinerXCS chassis, but has 'compartment' built storage versus the higher XCR chassis full basement storage. I like the 'single' step entry for the lower chassis, and the XCS height keeps the weight more 'lowered' which adds to driving pleasure. The chassis also keeps the overall height to less than 12', including the two a/c's. The shorter floorplan lengths, ~35' to ~38' overall front to rear. The shorter wheelbase, roughly ~18' to 20' allow easy manuvering and turn radius - making it easier to enter and exit rv parks and parking lots.
Now, yes, I would certainly entertain a Newmar CanyonStar, if I want the rear door and bunkhouse room option - with a FordV10 chassis, as required. I like it, and think that Newmar has excellent build quality, probably of all gasser coaches. The best thing I like about Newmar is that the CanyonStar model is made to look like a coach at the rear, not a toy hauler, as typical. The Thor Outlaw on the other hand, definately has a special toy hauler look - especially with the higher rear roof. That may or may not be what some are looking for.

My next coach will probably be a move up to a Newmar MountainAire all electric model. It's a few dollar more, tho. : )
Old 04-09-2016, 08:07 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
That woman drove me crazy with all her cutesy posturing; I quit watching them.
m

me too - I don't watch them anymore
Old 04-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #25

One thing I like about Thor motorhomes is everything is included, there's no long laundry list of options. Some may not like that because they have a specific build in mind. It seems like a good idea to me.

After saying that I remember the floorpan of the 36.1 the bath and a half, has a booth. Does anyone know if you can get that plan with a dinette instead?
Old 04-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #26

I looked hard at the Palazzo recently and was smitten by the cost to get into a DP...but the more I looked and compared to other units, the more the shortcuts started becoming apparent. The XCS chassis doesn't leave a lot of storage compared to a raised rail chassis. The electronics are very cheap, no HD wiring (to my knowledge...please correct me if I am wrong?). The inverter is cheap as well. Fit and finish were certainly far lower than a Newmar Baystar (gasser) I looked at as well. I felt the fit and finish and quality of furniture, electronics, etc would be a step down from our current Fuzion Chrome Toy Hauler, let alone a higher end gas class a.

I guess it stands to reason...the additional cost of the Cummins and the Freightliner chassis on the Palazzo has to be offset somewhere when comparing street selling prices vs a Canyon Star or a Tiffin gasser.

In the grand scheme of things, if one is going to spend 160k or so for an entry level DP, why not spend another 20-30k and get something (IMO) much higher quality? Or go with the (much) higher quality high end gas units? At least that is what I am wrestling with trying to find our next unit, and all that being said, I love my Cummins in my Ram 3500 so much that I cannot imagine going back to a gas truck (torque, low rpm cruising, exhaust brake, etc)...let alone buying gas 30k lb motorhome
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:56 PM   #27

Quote:
One thing I like about Thor motorhomes is everything is included, there's no long laundry list of options. Some may not like that because they have a specific build in mind. It seems like a good idea to me.

After saying that I remember the floorpan of the 36.1 the bath and a half, has a booth. Does anyone know if you can get that plan with a dinette instead?
Their way, or spec a few options I'm willing to pay for... Hmm
jmon129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #28

Hey gtsum2,

Was the comparison you did based on the 2016 Palazzo? The only reason I ask is I just found out that the 2016's were completely redesigned from the other years.

Tags
newmar, thor