Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2016, 06:59 PM   #1

Thor Tuscany weird noise

You folks are always greats for information. So here goes yet another rookie question. I have a 2013 Thor Tuscanny XTE and driving down the road there is a weird noise right above and slightly behind the driver. There is a cabinet there and no awnings. It sounds, as my wife put it, that someone is between the ceiling and roof swinging a rock on a string and knocking up against the cabinet. It doesn't seem to happen with any specific stimulus like wind or turning but just driving down the road it will start then stop for a couple of miles then there's the knocking again. I thought it was the refrig water line bumping up against the side of the RV but that doesn't seem to be able to be reproduced. Has anyone had a similar experience. I fear it might be a structural problem where the roof meets the side wall. I pray not. Help me out if you can. It won't be a restful night thinking about this noise. As always, thanks for your help!
Rookie RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
My TV antenna sometimes makes some noise if the wind is blowing a certain way traveling down the road.

Not sure if your antenna is on the driver or passenger side
Old 03-17-2016, 08:09 PM   #3

Yeah, I thought that might be the case but nothing is in that area. I even thought the slide topper was loose but that isn't even that close. And I can't seem to reproduce the noise when we are stopped. It is driving me crazy!
Old 03-17-2016, 10:25 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
how about the string that is used to release the driver side shade back up into its roller.
mine had a large plastic knob that sounded like a rock swinging on a string..it was right behind my head.
fix was loosely wrangling it with some velcro loop to hold it with the curtain rope thing
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:22 AM   #5

similar problem here, except on the passenger side - while I'm driving I can't diagnose it, the wife and kids can't seem to locate it(or even hear it!) while I'm driving, and it is certainly impossible to ascertain while stopped.
but...
nothing has fallen, nothing has come loose, nothing has shifted - so maybe it's no big deal - though aggravating for sure.

: ) been thar, and done that!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:38 AM   #6

When I bought my Georgetown used and one year old, there was a knocking sound coming from the dinette slide. After exhausting all obvious reasons to look for the noise, including the dealer driving down the road with a tech riding in the basement storage listening from underneath(!), they sought out the factory for help. Problem was the support rails the slide slides out on ride on $2 nylon bushings through the side wall. Naked to the eye, they needed replacing. Once done, which meant the dealer had to remove my slide, never a sound again. I'd check all of the guides on your slide out.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:38 AM   #7

Thanks MisterT! I can't diagnose it while driving either and my wife agrees on the apparent location. I am wondering if it is a structural problem where the ceiling meets the side wall so I worry about that but I am one who has trouble "letting things go" and the entire time while driving I am gritting my teeth.

For you it may be all the chains hanging around your neck. But then again gold doesn't bang together too much .

I wonder if I should contact Thor Customer Service but it is so nondescript that it would be hard to describe to a service guy. BUT if they have had a problem in the area they may know.

Thanks again.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:57 PM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
Likely it is the same problem we had with the driver side slide topper. In a quartering wind and at a certain speed the slide topper would unroll slightly on the end closest to the driver. Maybe a couple of inches or more depending in the wind speed. I set the driver side mirror up at an angle and could actually see the thing moving. It go so bad one day that I pulled into a parking lot at an exit on I-90 and tied the thing down with some phone cord I had on board. Strangely, we have not had that happen again, but then we have not had wind from that angle again. It may happen again tomorrow, but we'll just have to see.
I suppose the spring in the topper could be tightened if one was so inclined, but I have not been so inclined and I still have the phone wire.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a similar noise but on the passenger side, turned out to be the loop that hung down to extend the awning. Although it was nylon with a rubber liner, it sounded like something solid. I would start with anything that is in that area no matter how unlikely it seems.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:48 PM   #10

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Likely it is the same problem we had with the driver side slide topper. In a quartering wind and at a certain speed the slide topper would unroll slightly on the end closest to the driver. Maybe a couple of inches or more depending in the wind speed. I set the driver side mirror up at an angle and could actually see the thing moving. It go so bad one day that I pulled into a parking lot at an exit on I-90 and tied the thing down with some phone cord I had on board. Strangely, we have not had that happen again, but then we have not had wind from that angle again. It may happen again tomorrow, but we'll just have to see.
I suppose the spring in the topper could be tightened if one was so inclined, but I have not been so inclined and I still have the phone wire.
THANK YOU! I bet this is exactly what is happening. We have been driving in stiff wind in NewMexico and Arizona the last two days and noted when we do have a quartering wind it makes the noise and when we have a head wind it is less frequent. So tomorrow on the way to Las Vegas I will find some phone cord () and tie it down and see if it solves the problem. But I wonder if you have seen the new slide toppers that are enclosed with an "apron" to protect it from catching the wind underneath the material and keep it from unrolling. In fact we completely lost the passenger side topper yesterday in a crazy wind that tore it completely off and flew up denting the satellite dish. I had to actually take out my pocket knife and cut the material off to get the topper down in the wind. So I bet the driver's side spring is just tighter than the pax side and that is what is happening. THANKS again. This helps a lot!
Old 04-05-2016, 12:22 AM   #11

Well, I got the worst of the worst news. The noise that I am hearsing up and behind the driver......is broken roof structure. I Took the coach to get the slide cover that blew off replaced and asked them to investigate the noise and also the staples that are backing out of the roof material. Answer, prior damage improperly repaired and broken roof struts. The solution, new roof. I checked insurance which excludes the roof when repaired and rotted. I checked Thor and their warranty is only good for original new owner and I am second. And since you can't "unknow" something I can't sell without disclosing the roof and reducing the price so replace the roof is what we are doing. OUCH!
Old 04-05-2016, 12:33 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oh wow!! That's going to hurt. One of the problems with buying a used rig.
We looked at one that had roof damage and some water damage inside. Nice rig and the DW liked it enough for a second look. Called the seller (privater party) and told them I wanted to look at the roof damage. They agreed, but just before I got there they patched the roof so I couldn't look at the roof structure. The sealant was still wet in fact. Told them they ruined the sale to us at least.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor, noise