Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2021, 11:51 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Thought I'd throw this out there for general discussion

So, I'm thinking. And I don't want to start a barroom brawl here either.

The problem:
It's not much of a "problem" per-se, because we're about to become first-time grandparents. But our son-in-law also accepted a really fine job offer about 5 hours away so, they bought their first home in Fort Worth and next weekend is their move date.

Now, mama wants to be near her baby girl when our grandson arrives. And we ain't going to give up our acreage to go chasing anyone around the country. So I need some kind of solution and here's where me thinking usually gets me in trouble. So here goes: 1) Buy a condo within driving distance - Cost will probably be $200-300k. Or, 2) Buy a 40' Class A motorhome but keep the cost under $100k.

I'm going back and forth. 1) The condo might be easier to eventually sell someday when we no longer need it. Who knows.. the kids might move again. 2) By buying a land-yacht, we not only can stash it in Fort Worth as a place to stay, invest less money up-front, and use it for glamorous trips to FL resorts.

So, can the more sane minds here please rationalize what you would do if you were in my shoes?

Also, if you're of the "Buy the motorhome!" crowd, would you mind also chiming in on your recommendations? It would need to be about 40', in the $50-100k price range, and diesel.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2021, 12:09 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Id think about renting a small house or even an apartment for a few months (minimal expense) and see how it goes. It may turn out that those 5 hours are a comfortable cushion.

And as you said, they may pick up and move again. I have friends and family chasing their kids/grand kids around the country moving every couple years, and they could have saved themselves a lot of trouble and expense by sensing a temporary situation and applying a more temporary response.

The coach is a nice idea, but not really all that well aligned with visits from two adults and a baby and probably their dog. Not enough square feet, kitchen and bath not designed for that, and you’d be on a narrow strip of ground with effectively no yard.

On the other hand, if you kept visits to their place, you could test the waters with your current coach and toad and see how it goes. Whatever you do, Id put buying real estate last on the list after you've tried other things, determined what will work, and are reasonably sure they are going to stay put for a while.

I also tend to think we are on top of another real estate price bubble. Ive been an active real estate investor for about 30 years (Im over it now but still pay attention) and this opinion comes from watching three 10 or so year market cycles. So if thats correct (admittedly a big if) then you’d also do well to wait a while and see what happens, although that could take a couple years to find out.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:17 PM   #3
Community Moderator

You already have a nice class C motorhome. I would find a nice park close and stay for a couple of months. Maybe your class C is small enough you can even “mooch-dock” in your daughter’s new driveway?

Then evaluate from there…..

No need to jump in head first to a condo purchase or DP purchase so soon…..besides real estate and RV’s are crazy expensive right now (the bubble may burst within a year or so as interest rates climb and inflation starts to spiral)

Also if getting a class A, why the diesel requirement? Sounds like you would be pretty stationary for awhile.

If you were going to full-time and actually travel the country for months at a time, then diesel is a priority, I agree.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
You already have a nice class C motorhome. I would find a nice park close and stay for a couple of months. Maybe your class C is small enough you can even “mooch-dock” in your daughter’s new driveway?

Then evaluate from there…..

No need to jump in head first to a condo purchase or DP purchase so soon…..besides real estate and RV’s are crazy expensive right now (the bubble may burst within a year or so as interest rates climb and inflation starts to spiral)

Also if getting a class A, why the diesel requirement? Sounds like you would be pretty stationary for awhile.

If you were going to full-time and actually travel the country for months at a time, then diesel is a priority, I agree.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #5

I'm also in the crowd as why not keep what you already have? Would you actually utilize a condo for that price combined with the fees and upkeep associated with another house?
Old 10-03-2021, 01:49 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The RV market is really hot right now so if you try and upgrade you'll be paying a premium. Any type of RV is a loosing proposition in the long run and when the market goes south it will be even worse.

I'd try and use your existing rig, chances are you won't be spending much time in it anyway.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:19 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The cheap way...

For me, I'd hire an electrician to install 30 A service for the RV and a plumber to install a tie-in to their house's existing sewer system. Then, during all visits, delegate all diaper changes to the DW until she's ready to go back home.

This approach probably won't fly.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
For me, I'd hire an electrician to install 30 A service for the RV and a plumber to install a tie-in to their house's existing sewer system. Then, during all visits, delegate all diaper changes to the DW until she's ready to go back home.

This approach probably won't fly.
Not a bad thought but, you might be assuming that THE KIDS would OK this approach. Second, you're also assuming they have room for whatever kind of coach the OP ends up with. And third, it may, or may not be legal for folks using or "camping" in a driveway or even alongside the house. Lots of neighborhoods have CC&R's that prohibit this kind of activity.

Now, if the kids place is large enough for the OP to land their coach in the back yard, side yard or where ever and there's no restrictions, then maybe this might work. We do that with our kids. Both of them have accommodations for our RV WITH hookups! But, not everyone can do that.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:24 PM   #9

Seems like a no brainer to me.
Send Mama to live with the kids and you stay on your acreage.
You can go hunting, fishing, play pool, come home at any hour with no nagging.
Save big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Richard
Old 10-03-2021, 03:45 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have kids living in NC, FL, KY, CA and OH. We visit them with the motor homes. Some of ythe kids when to spend a bunch of time with us and some just a day or so when we visit. I think is has some to do with the spouces. The MH works good, it allows for nice trips. Forth Worth there is a nice COE campground.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:59 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I'm with the others. You have a brand new RV. What's wrong with using it?. If you dump something that new for something else, you're gonna take a HUGE hit & what you buy is overpriced now. Unless where the D & SIL allows parking an RV on their property, find a nearby, nice CG that offers long term stays. You're trying to make a long-term decision on something that might be short-term.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:21 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
You guys are making a ton of good sense, but I'm not thinking of selling or trading my Class C. I already put a lot of money in to the solar and it's my baby for dry-camping and getting in to small parks. That said, I'm really appreciating all the well thought-out answers. And, no I'm not sending mama up by herself. I'd miss her too much. lol..
Old 10-03-2021, 04:23 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
We have kids living in NC, FL, KY, CA and OH. We visit them with the motor homes. Some of ythe kids when to spend a bunch of time with us and some just a day or so when we visit. I think is has some to do with the spouces. The MH works good, it allows for nice trips. Forth Worth there is a nice COE campground.
I hadn't done a whole lot of investigating yet where to stay. Do you have any recommendations? Appreciate the suggestion!
Old 10-03-2021, 06:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
Seems like a no brainer to me.
Send Mama to live with the kids and you stay on your acreage.
You can go hunting, fishing, play pool, come home at any hour with no nagging.
Save big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Richard
Best answer by far! I'm still smiling at that one.