Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2021, 07:22 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
Best answer by far! I'm still smiling at that one.
The DW might not think so....
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2021, 08:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
The DW might not think so....
Maybe not, but funny nonetheless
Old 10-03-2021, 09:03 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Your kids might not relish the idea of you owning a condo near them. Your perception of how much they want you in their lives is NOT the same as their perception. A motorhome is much less threatening to them. Stick with the wheels for awhile, and see how you fit into THEIR new family... they'll appreciate you more. My 2¢.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:58 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
You may want to consider being patient and not doing anything permanent yet. Like someone suggested, either use your current RV for a trip up there or rent an apartment for a while. After a couple trips up there you will be able to settle your "new grandbaby anxiety" down some and sensibly figure out what you want to do.
Congratulations,
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:20 PM   #19

Like Richard Pryor once said, "vote 'none of the above'". Remember when you were a first-time parent, and do for them what you wished your own parents would have done for you, or didn't do. Buying a condo is $$ and also a bit "permanent" and it might not be fully welcome. Congrats, btw!
IND2SLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
Seems like a no brainer to me.
Send Mama to live with the kids and you stay on your acreage.
You can go hunting, fishing, play pool, come home at any hour with no nagging.
Save big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Richard

THIS!
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:45 AM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Very good, guys! Thanks for your shared experiences and it's giving us food for thought. We discussed it again yesterday and are going with the majority here to take a wait and see approach.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:17 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
Very good, guys! Thanks for your shared experiences and it's giving us food for thought. We discussed it again yesterday and are going with the majority here to take a wait and see approach.
That's SMART
Buying a house or a condo wouldn't even enter my mind as an option. Even renting an apartment would be way, way down the list because you can't rent an apartment without at least a 6 month or a years contract. NO WAY Jose.

I predict that 6 months—at the most—after the baby arrives, the honeymoon with the grand child will be over and the kids will be ready for you to leave.

People NEED their own space
Family is ok.....but in very small doses
Distance makes the heart grow fonder
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:27 AM   #23

As much as I love my grandkids in 11 or 12 years they will have their own busy lives and won't have a lot of time for the old folks in their life. It's a fact of life we have to live with. Be there for them if they need/want you but I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money for anything any where near permanent. I think you may be much further ahead spending the money yoiu might spend on a condo or class A for a week in Disney World or some such activity where the grand kids will remember it forever. Good luck and it seems like you're on the right path with the wait and see attitude. BTW a relatively long Air BNB might be an answer for a more that a week's stay.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:18 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well we don't like being tied down. So if my son had a baby, I wouldn't have a problem visiting him with the MoHo. But I know a thing or 2 about Murphy's law. So I thank God for Blessing us with a MoHo which I would use to take that lil booger around America. Eventually my son would want 3 weeks to a month of "Alone time" with the wife, and I bet I know who'd he come to (Daddy? can you take care of lil johnny?). So I'd do what my Gran parents did: Git on the bus and go to Disney world, Gran canyon and so on y'all know the deal.
Buying a condo? nah: mortgage, property taxes, HOA fee's and so on. At least with the Moho, I can take my "Home" down the road and have fun. But that's JMHO. To each their own.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:14 PM   #25

Our two cents: we also have kids in multiple states and one on a Naval ship (can't go and visit with him yet). We have rural acreage and home bought and paid for and aren't planning to sell. We hate flying-such a huge expense and hassle (just did it last July for a reunion). So, our answer was to get RVs and enjoy the road trip. We were facing a practically coast to coast journey depending on the kid. We started with a 24' Class-C, now have a Class A, all which were older coaches, bought and paid for. We hate debt, can fix just about any machinery, so I think you and the wife need to find that combination that appeals to your lifestyle, you're economics, and comfort level. You won't know some of these until you experience them. No matter which way you go, concessions will have to be made.
Congrats on becoming grandparents!!! We have seven grandkids and love the experience!
Roadgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:25 PM   #26

Class A MH

Quote:
So, I'm thinking. And I don't want to start a barroom brawl here either.

The problem:
It's not much of a "problem" per-se, because we're about to become first-time grandparents. But our son-in-law also accepted a really fine job offer about 5 hours away so, they bought their first home in Fort Worth and next weekend is their move date.

Now, mama wants to be near her baby girl when our grandson arrives. And we ain't going to give up our acreage to go chasing anyone around the country. So I need some kind of solution and here's where me thinking usually gets me in trouble. So here goes: 1) Buy a condo within driving distance - Cost will probably be $200-300k. Or, 2) Buy a 40' Class A motorhome but keep the cost under $100k.

I'm going back and forth. 1) The condo might be easier to eventually sell someday when we no longer need it. Who knows.. the kids might move again. 2) By buying a land-yacht, we not only can stash it in Fort Worth as a place to stay, invest less money up-front, and use it for glamorous trips to FL resorts.

So, can the more sane minds here please rationalize what you would do if you were in my shoes?

Also, if you're of the "Buy the motorhome!" crowd, would you mind also chiming in on your recommendations? It would need to be about 40', in the $50-100k price range, and diesel.
I would buy a gas Class A. Diesels don't like sitting for too long.
I am selling my 30 foot Class A as we speak. It is listed on RV Trader for 74,500. It is a 2017 Coachmen Pursuit if you are interested. We have acquired a plethora of cats recently and can no longer travel. We have momma cat and four kittens 12 weeks old and a Shithtzu. Too many litter boxes in a MH.
Good luck finding what you want.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:49 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
1. Sell the new class C.
2. Buy a used class A.
3. Visit the kids.
4. Realize that visiting the kids should not be more than 3 days.
5. Go home to paradise and sell the class A.
6. Buy a new class C and realize that life is great as-is.

Wife and I are both widowed, now married 15 years. Two daughters, one from each previous marriages, two grandkids. Used to travel in our own airplane but I lost my medical certificate so we sold the plane and bought a class C Winnebago View and haven't looked back.

We see the grandkids in person about once per month for a couple of days. That's plenty. They're busy with school and both parents work. Wife and I have margarita machine will travel. Our favorite spots right now are Texas State Parks.
drmack911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:51 PM   #28

Quote:
So, I'm thinking. And I don't want to start a barroom brawl here either.

The problem:
It's not much of a "problem" per-se, because we're about to become first-time grandparents. But our son-in-law also accepted a really fine job offer about 5 hours away so, they bought their first home in Fort Worth and next weekend is their move date.

Now, mama wants to be near her baby girl when our grandson arrives. And we ain't going to give up our acreage to go chasing anyone around the country. So I need some kind of solution and here's where me thinking usually gets me in trouble. So here goes: 1) Buy a condo within driving distance - Cost will probably be $200-300k. Or, 2) Buy a 40' Class A motorhome but keep the cost under $100k.

I'm going back and forth. 1) The condo might be easier to eventually sell someday when we no longer need it. Who knows.. the kids might move again. 2) By buying a land-yacht, we not only can stash it in Fort Worth as a place to stay, invest less money up-front, and use it for glamorous trips to FL resorts.

So, can the more sane minds here please rationalize what you would do if you were in my shoes?

Also, if you're of the "Buy the motorhome!" crowd, would you mind also chiming in on your recommendations? It would need to be about 40', in the $50-100k price range, and diesel.

Stay in their spare bedroom.

Why the big fuss ?
picker is offline   Reply With Quote