Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2016, 04:45 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Thoughts on a 2005 Holiday Rambler Imperial 42DSQ

Ok, so I've got the itch to move up a bit from my 2003 DSDP to a 2005 HR or similar.

I seen one online for a good price but am not sure how they fit in the HR line.
HR brochures don't show the model for 2005 but do for the 2006 so I guess its a mid year type of model.

Any comments on reliability overall value etc?

Used 2005 Imperial 42DSQ RV For Sale In Stoney Creek ON - autoTRADER.ca

(not sure how to shorten the url above)

Thanks

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2016, 05:17 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yeah, your right. They didn't build (or at least publish a brochure) for '05, but they did publish one for an '06 Imperial.

My '07 Endeavor has proved to be our dream unit. We had a '97 Endeavor, and it was well built, but a few years ago we got bit by the bug to upgrade. We stumbled across our '07 Endeavor and as soon as we stepped into it, we both knew we were buying it that day (I'm sure the salesman did too!). It was like stepping into our home...it had everything we wanted and it was so much like the '97 we couldn't believe it.

Both coaches were very well built and we have never regretted buying either. The company was apparently going through problems back then, but our '07 has always impressed me each time I have had to tear into it to fix something.

Good luck.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:16 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Imperial was number two behind the Navigator.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:34 AM   #4

From what I saw doing my research before I ended up buying my Safari Trek last month, it seemed HR was going through an encheapening phase around then, cutting back on standard features each year to maintain a certain price point. This may not be an issue if yours has the then optional upgrades, but still something to keep an eye out about.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:34 AM   #5

That ISL should be a Common Rail with Variable Geometry Turbo (VGT), and still before the next level of smog controls that came into being around the 2006 engine era. A solid engine. Suspect 400, maybe 425HP. It will do that size/weight coach with 6.5 - 7.5MPG possible. Should have a two stage Jake Compression brake, which is desirable over the Exhaust braking.

From memory, and that for sure could be wrong, should have the Roadmaster 10 Bag (Believe non tags used RR8S or Roadmaster S chassis. And tags bumped up to the 10 bagger.) It's a well thought of chassis, and provide good handling. Solid semi monocoque raised rail build.

I believe the Imperial, depending upon year, slotted in comparably to the Dynasty and Executive levels of Monaco coaches. (Again from memory, and may have that wrong.)

If it meets your needs, and you can come to a price that you can live with - why not!

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for all the feedback, talked to the dealer and they don't want any trades in my rice range (he would consider if my MH was worth less than 30K), so I guess that's out. I think they want cash only.

Chris
Old 11-30-2016, 02:18 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Guy View Post
Yeah, your right. They didn't build (or at least publish a brochure) for '05, but they did publish one for an '06 Imperial.

Not true, I have the original brochure for my 2005 Imperial
1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:36 PM   #8

Chris, That's an exact twin to my MH. I bought mine in July 2015 from a private seller. Price is in the ball park of what mine was listed for. (got if for less)

Mine had 17,000ish miles and now has 25,000. No major trouble with the chassis or engine. Lots of little things which were mostly easy to fix.

Just got back from a trip to Nashville and loved it. Highway mileage was close to 8 MPG if you believe the Alladin. Hard to compare actual mileage due to generator and Aquahot usage. Seems close when compared to fillups. Tried to keep it around 63 MPH.

Had to update the TV's, had the same as the ones in the ad. The old TV's can't get a digital over the air signal from the antenna. Mine does not have a satellite...yet.

Also love the rear bathroom and big shower/tub!

Mine had original tires on 6 wheels so had to replace them.

Overall, I really like this MH!
Mike
Old 11-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Here's the pages from the brochure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2548.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	145732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2546.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	145733  

1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:32 PM   #10

I have an '05 Monaco Windsor, which I think was basically the same coach (with color/cosmetic differences). It's a is a great coach. I see some things which have not been updated, such as tvs, but if mantenance records are in order, it should do great. Maintenance, tires and condition are important. If it has an Aquahot, that should especially be checked.
Is that price US or Canadian $? If US, it is a very good price.
David White '05 Windsor
Madison, MS
echo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:33 PM   #11

As said above, if everything checks out the Imperial was a well built coach from a high end builder. Good luck shopping.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:08 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo3 View Post
I have an '05 Monaco Windsor, which I think was basically the same coach (with color/cosmetic differences). It's a is a great coach. I see some things which have not been updated, such as tvs, but if maintenance records are in order, it should do great. Maintenance, tires and condition are important. If it has an Aquahot, that should especially be checked.
Is that price US or Canadian $? If US, it is a very good price.
David White '05 Windsor
Madison, MS
It is CAD so subtract around 30% to USD so its around 80$k - a real good price. A 2004 Navigator (40 ft) around here is $134K CAD, so I thought the 2005 42 DSQ was a real good deal.
DW won't let me buy it with cash as last time I did that we had two MHs for a while.

Chris
Old 12-02-2016, 08:25 PM   #13

Thumbs up 05 imperial best one yet

I started with a 99 Georgey boy v10 Then went too a 00 American dream then a 03 Monaco Windsor witch with 110k miles was the best rig I had till last month when I got my 05 imperial 42DSQ "Quadzilla" the dual rear tires make it stable as a train on the tracks and the ISL runs like a monster it has so many options I had to start reading the book on how stuff works but the darn thing dose everything including winterized it's self. So till I get one to top this rig I'm in love with my new imperial . That was maid by monaco as the sticker by the door states .

Love love love
This Rv
And I think this form is the best have been reading your guys post for yrs this is my first post
QuadZilla 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadZilla 42 View Post
I started with a 99 Georgey boy v10 Then went too a 00 American dream then a 03 Monaco Windsor witch with 110k miles was the best rig I had till last month when I got my 05 imperial 42DSQ "Quadzilla" the dual rear tires make it stable as a train on the tracks and the ISL runs like a monster it has so many options I had to start reading the book on how stuff works but the darn thing dose everything including winterized it's self. So till I get one to top this rig I'm in love with my new imperial . That was maid by monaco as the sticker by the door states .

Love love love

This Rv

And I think this form is the best have been reading your guys post for yrs this is my first post

Welcome to the fam! Love your attitude.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler