Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2021, 12:18 PM   #1

Throttle position sensor

Hey folks, we’re purchasing a 2005 Essex and the current owner took it out for a spin today and experienced a alert regarding the throttle position sensor. He replaced the throttle pedal and thought that would fix it. He had a mobile tech look at it originally and the fix was to tap the pedal once or twice and the alert would go away.

Here’s his text today: I just took her out for a quick spin and the stop engine light is still coming on when it idles in gear. I called the tech and he said most likely it’s corrosion on electrical connectors somewhere between the front and engine. He assures me it’s nothing serious and able to be driven. Just an annoyance when you are stopped in gear and the alarm goes off.

Should have driven it yesterday but assumed (I should know better) a $1500 new gas pedal would fix it based off what the tech told me.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2021, 12:43 PM   #2

The TPS usually isn't on the pedal. It's on the throttle body shaft.

When you get the warning, you need to use a scan tool or the on-board systems to see the codes it sets. The tech should have done that.

That tech doesn't know jack.....
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:08 PM   #3

Throttle position sensor

So it’s late and I’m tired but we drove the RV and there is a definite issue with the accelerator pedal which is brand new. When you take your foot off the gas it goes into idle mode and the check engine light comes on and you cannot accelerate. If you jiggle the pedal, most times the alarm goes off. One time during the test drive I took my foot off the accelerator and started to break, the alarm of course came on. I was at a light, I took my foot off the break and quickly pushed the pedal two times, it didn’t stop the alarm, pushed it again it didn’t stop, pushed it a bunch of times the alarm never stopped and of course you cannot accelerate at that time. So the owner got down on the floor while we were at the stop light and he was shaking it shaking and shaking it, it didn’t work so he finally had to turn off the key restart the engine and then I believe when he shook the accelerator then the alarm went off.
Needless to say, that will need to be fixed before we purchase it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-27-2021, 09:16 PM   #4

Take it somewhere to get properly diagnosed before you start throwing parts at it.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
Take it somewhere to get properly diagnosed before you start throwing parts at it.

The owner took it into a Spartan and Cumins shop in Asheville North Carolina they ran diagnostics and said that the new pedal which was from a salvage yard is bad and nothing else is wrong. I’ve asked the owner to get the code or codes so that I could post them here and also do a look up online

I have to say I’m a bit disappointed as I had hoped that they would have taken it in and there would have been an aha moment and would have changed out a part and totally fix it.

But the owner is going far and above what is expected and is determined to get it fixed before we start back.

We’ve been getting cheap motels to try and keep the cost down but I think our next one we’re going to get one with a pool as it’s pretty hot here in North Carolina. May as well enjoy the area.
Old 06-28-2021, 02:46 PM   #6

The owner just texted and said the code is:” Idle validation circuit, Code 432.

He also is having some ECM software updates done.

Wow... that’s awesome right?!

So now with that code, we should be able to see if anyone else has seen this issue.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:40 PM   #7

Can one assume the coach in question is on a WorkHorse chassis with 8.1l engine? Then the throttle position sensor is on the throttle pedal and is a known high failure item. Hopefully WorkHorse can still provide the part. Yes there is a procedure to reset the code with the new throttle pedal.

Richard
Old 06-28-2021, 06:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
Can one assume the coach in question is on a WorkHorse chassis with 8.1l engine? Then the throttle position sensor is on the throttle pedal and is a known high failure item. Hopefully WorkHorse can still provide the part. Yes there is a procedure to reset the code with the new throttle pedal.

Richard
So sorry, it's 2005 Newmar Essex 4502 on a Spartan chassis. Yes, I've seen a few bulletins about it, hoping the shop will be able to handle it.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:52 PM   #9

Any chance anyone knows where we could buy an aftermarket accelerator pedal?
Old 06-29-2021, 05:35 AM   #10

https://www.blog-teknisi.com/2018/07...-code-432.html

Contact Cummins and see if you can just change the switch.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:49 PM   #11

Whew...it's been a crazy crazy time the last few days.

Summary:

While driving, whenever you would lift your foot off the accelerator, the stop engine light/alarm would come on. The owner said he had it looked at by a mobile tech and was told to order a new accelerator pedal. He was told Spartan doesn't make them anymore and to get one from a salvage yard, which he did. $1500. He had his son install it but he didn't take it for a spin until the day we flew out. Guess what? The alarm was still there.

When we test drove it, he said if the alarm comes on, just tape the accelerator a couple of times and it'll quit. Which it did. BUT, each time I pulled my foot off the pedal, it would come on. When that alarm is on, and you step on the pedal, you don't go anywhere. We found that out while test driving it.

The PO took the rig to the Spartan dealership in Asheville and they looked at it and determined the new pedal was bad too. Hmmm, that didn't, and still doesn't feel right. I asked him to please have the tech give him the error code, which is "Idle validation circuit Code 432".

I've done a few searches and to me, it seems like an easy fix. The tech said when he checked the voltages, they were not what he expected and sort of all over the place.

So long story short, the rig is still in the shop, and the PO (we went ahead and bought it with the stipulation that this had to be fixed on his dime, which they agreed to (Great people by the way) ordered another pedal, and asked the shop to ring out the wires going to the back to verify there's no issues with that.

The shop mentioned that the ECM's software is out of date and recommended that he update the software. They tried doing that today (I'm not sure how much time they spent on it) but they said it was having issues getting updated. Hmmmmm, Even though they ran diagnostics, the ONLY code was the 432...meaning everything else checked out. There were no other codes, according to the PO.

So...we are still here as we wait for the new pedal to show up, and for the shop to try and figure out why the ECM is not taking the update.

I have yet to talk with the shop, as we didn't 'own' the rig, but now we do, so I'm going to call tomorrow and see if they can explain things to me.

I've looked up that error and have found numerous things about it, but honestly, it's mostly over my head.

Here’s a couple of post that seems to validate updating the ECM and doing a recalibration of the pedal.
https://f01.justanswer.com/diesel315...3a8_432_fc.pdf

https://www.blog-teknisi.com/2018/07...e-432.html?m=1

I don't think we made a mistake buying the rig. It's well made, and I think, this 'should' be an easy fix. I don't know anything about this, but the shop has all the equipment and even better access to data about this error code, so you would think it should be a slam dunk.....unless, there is something wrong with the ECM.

Unfortunately, the owner is going out of town for 8 days.

But I am a man of faith, and I believe God's going to get us through this without having to 'learn a big lesson'.

In my mind, I'm hoping the ECM software update will get completed and it will fix the Idle validation circuit Code 432 issue, as one of the line items on the update address the accelerator issue.

So, any input you have....I'm all ears.

Thanks for reading.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:05 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
This is Cummins info on Code 432 for the ISC, it should be the same for the ISL.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ISC Fault Code 432.pdf (63.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-29-2021, 08:12 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The TPS circuits are on pages 236-238. This document is for the ISC and ISL engines.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cummins Isc Error Codes.pdf (2.24 MB, 4 views)
Old 06-30-2021, 07:47 AM   #14

The shop called the owner and said they were having problems updating the ECM software....anyone have similar experiences with their ECM software updates?