Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2017, 05:28 AM   #29

Tiffin 33aa, wind pushes all over the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinityfan View Post
Simple modifications can make a difference. Tire pressure is big. My first drive in my rig was white-knuckling to say the least. I asked if it was ready to go and drive her family he said there was nothing wrong with it it was ready to drive off a lot and go across country I just went on A5 hour drive to Dallas and was side to side on the road wondering if this is what it was going to be like to RV in a Class A when I got home and check the tire pressure all 8 tires had different pressure ranging from 90 to 110. The actual recommended tire pressure was 120 for the single axle tires and 110 for the dual axle tires proper inflation made a huge difference the only other thing that I did different was add the safety plus steering stabilizer. I just knew Robert all the way around with the proper inflation pressure and it makes an even bigger difference drive it with one hand now

I would certainly agree that weight distribution, tires properly inflated and aligned etc are the way to go but spending your money on the after market fixes, while they may work for you, I think that without being able to try them first i.e. A computer simulation as per your vehicle specs with the fix if there were such a thing, at best your just hoping and praying to make it a better ride.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2017, 09:03 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
OP here, thanks for all the comments. I am making an appointment with Freightliner in Farmington NM next month.

Can I get each tire weighed at CAT scales at Loves etc? I was also wondering about finding a local DOT station and seeing if they would do it.
cvretis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:41 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The most common places to get individual wheel weights are the factory and motorhome rallies. Most places are not equipped to do it. Trying to get weights by running only the left side or right side wheels onto a CAT scale can be difficult due to scale design. If you can do it, your weights are really not too accurate.

Since Tiffin does individual wheel weights as part of manufacturing, and you should be able to get them with a phone call. They won't be accurate because the coach is empty but it could be a starting point for you.

However, good old axle weights are more than enough to get you started. Just multiply the axle weight by 1.05 to estimate side to side differences. Make sure you use the Michelin RV tire charts when establishing your inflation pressures. Most of us add 5 PSI to that number as a little safety factor.

Ask Freightliner to check your alignment, steering box, and all other suspension related components.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:25 PM   #32

Selling our 2016 Winnebago Vista LX 27N due to a large part poor handling. Took it to Ford only to be told it is a Winnebago problem. Took it to Winnebago in Forest City, Iowa twice. First time at 7,000 miles. Coach sat 4" low on right corner. They added shims. Had it weighed at GNR only to find right rear weighed 1,400# more than left rear. Right front weighed 480# more than left front. Winnebago told me that due to the full wall passenger slide. All tires between 82 and 85psi. Second trip Factory added at my expense the Safety Steer unit. Noticed minor improvement crossing Wyoming on the way to Seattle but not enough to justify the $900 cost. Going into Ford for 3rd check engine light in six months and back to Winnebago Dealer for 3rd Powergear Slide failure and second leveling jacks problem. Along with the poor handling and noisy ride we give up at 13,000 miles. Last week we bought a 40' Itasca Horizon 40AD. Not a single issue has come up after driving 480 miles and love driving it. Took time to get my DW to buy an older Quality unit over lack of quality new.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:36 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
OP here again.....

Took it to Freightliner in Phoenix 9899 W Roosevelt St, Tolleson, AZ 85353.
Wonderful place. Overnight hookups, full 50A at no charge. RV lounge separate from trucker's lounge.

The alignment was 5 of 10 bad, got it all fixed. The service rep called Tiffin and got them to cover this under warranty since this was a problem from the start.

Then got each wheel point weighed with Escapees, so we know how much pressure front and back. Right front is 1,250 pounds heavier than the left. Right rear is 850 pounds heavier. I was told most Tiffins are like this. You have to adjust tire pressure to the heavy side, not just axle weight / 2.

Finally our Ford Flex tires had some funny wear patterns, so we replaced all of them also.

Much better ride even with some good winds. Will do more test runs later just to be sure.

Thanks for all the help and comments.
cvretis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good to read you're making progress getting the coach where you want it.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:22 PM   #35
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Sorry I can't offer advice on that problem. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:03 PM   #36

The thread is pretty well done but a couple of folks brought a good but often overlooked point: travel with your fresh water tank full. It adds weight below the center of gravity. That minimizes the body roll.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:56 PM   #37

We have moves to Bilstein shocks and it it made a huge differance.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #38

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Have you considered calling Tiffin and tell them of the handling problem you're having? If not I would call them and perhaps they can come up with a solution to resolve your problem.

Best of luck and safe travels...
Agreed. Before you call, do some ground work, and get your tire specs (make, age, tread left, pressure in each one (cold!)) Also if there has been an alignment done, or other similar work, let them know too.

Our ERA is horrid in winds. I thought it was us, until one day I followed another Sprinter and watched him blow all over the road as we were doing the same thing!
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:35 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler2 View Post
Short DPs have been a subject for years. It is not the make of the rv, it is the length vs wheelbase with the weight hanging over the back axel. Handling a 208" wheel base vs 232" is very different. I have a short DP too and have made several western trips and experienced the winds. There are ways to improve your drive as mentioned. Alingment and castor, axle and corner weight with proper tire pressure, Load front heavy and low, keep heavy items in basement, keep fresh water tank and fuel tank as full as possible if near front axel, check ride height...this is critical on a short DP. I have a Safety T Plus. Those type of steering aids have to be centered exactly correct or they will not help handling and may make it worse. Fact is, sometimes you just need to get off the road in the wind. We have discovered some great places and people during "wind breaks".
This is good advice & I 2nd the Safety T Plus suggestion. Also what another poster said and add a rear trac bar.

BTW...
Put your MH information into your signature
Take a couple of minutes to fill out your signature with information about your motorhome (MH) This will really help in all future posts.
You do this by:
1) Going to the top of this page and click the top left tab named “User CP”
2) Look at the menu on the left and scroll down to “Settings & Options” and click “Edit Signature”
3) In that text box type all the information about your MH. Year, model, length, mileage, any aftermarket extras installed and so on.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:40 PM   #40

Hey are you pulling a toad. I have to admit that our 2016 Georgetown 364 TS, was a love-hate relationship and was all over the road. This is the first year we attach the toad and I'm telling you it's been a miracle. We installed the steering stabilizer last year and it helped, but the toad brought a complete different strengths to the rear end. Just food for thought.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvretis View Post
Help

We have a new 2017 Tiffin 33AA with under 6,000 miles.

The wind is absolutely terrible as it pushes around. We installed a Blue Ox True Center and it is still bad.

Through El Paso Yesterday, winds were 6 to 11 MPH. I could barely do 45 to 50. What concerns me is other units were doing OK.

The worst thing was three yellow school buses passed me! They really were school busses with the school name on the side.

Is Tiffin just a dangerous product?
Sounds like you need a rear trac bar. This bar keeps frame and rear axle in alignment with one another. When i installed mine I couldn't believe what a difference it made.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:57 PM   #42

Biggest and most effective addition for improved handling in wind and passing big rigs was the trac bar. No more high stress!

Tags
tiffin