Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2020, 09:33 AM   #1

Tiffin Allegro 36UA vs Fleetwood Bounder 36F

New to RVing and new to iRV2. Looking to buy a used 2018-2020 class A for our large family of 7. Like to haves: bunk beds, over cab bunk, 1.5 or 2 bathrooms, diesel pusher (live in CO and will be driving a fair amount in the mountains but probably not towing), on demand hot water, excellent build quality, upgraded suspension. The only DP that we found that works is the Winne Forza 38F but it is a bit out of our budget. Apart from the DP part, the Allegro 36UA and Bounder 36F check the boxes. Yes the Allegro is 1.5 baths and Bounder is 2 full baths. Looks like the Tiffin is about $10-20K more for a similarly outfitted coach with about the same miles. What does the extra $ buy and is the Tiffin worth it? Seems like Bounder owners love their rigs and are very passionate and loyal. Tough decision. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Prosper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2020, 09:39 AM   #2

You might find info in this recent thread that is helpful. The specific models discussed are different, but it will give you some ideas of what to compare that may not be obvious.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/cla...ns-492444.html

My post #15 (long) is an edited version of #7 if you want to save some reading, skip 7.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:06 AM   #3

Fleetwood is famous for using the lightest rated chassis they can get away with. Usually doesn't leave much CCC for your "stuff".
Old 07-22-2020, 11:27 AM   #4

Some of the specs I found for the models the OP has asked about, which both relate to the V10 F53 chassis (not the new V8, if that would change anything). More details and why these are important to understand in the thread I referenced above.

Bounder 36F
22k GVWR / 26k GCWR chassis
242” Wheelbase
38’9” (465”) Overall Length
52% WB/OL ratio

Tiffin
26k/30k
252” WB
38’ 0” (456”) OL
55.3% WB/OL ratio
Old 07-22-2020, 12:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Some of the specs I found for the models the OP has asked about, which both relate to the V10 F53 chassis (not the new V8, if that would change anything). More details and why these are important to understand in the thread I referenced above.

Bounder 36F
22k GVWR / 26k GCWR chassis
242” Wheelbase
38’9” (465”) Overall Length
52% WB/OL ratio

Tiffin
26k/30k
252” WB
38’ 0” (456”) OL
55.3% WB/OL ratio
Thanks for providing that information. In your experience, from a practical perspective what type of difference will this make in driving/handling and CCC? Sounds like upgrading to Sumo springs can help a fair amount as well.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:17 PM   #6

Neither of those rigs are Diesel Pushers, but plenty of hill climbing power in both. I would choose the Tiffin having owned a Bounder for the last 5 years.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood58 View Post
Neither of those rigs are Diesel Pushers, but plenty of hill climbing power in both. I would choose the Tiffin having owned a Bounder for the last 5 years.
Thanks Elwood58. Can you say a little more about why you'd choose the Tiffin over the Bounder? What's been your experience with the Bounder?
Old 07-22-2020, 03:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosper View Post
Thanks for providing that information. In your experience, from a practical perspective what type of difference will this make in driving/handling and CCC? Sounds like upgrading to Sumo springs can help a fair amount as well.
Some more for you to digest....

Here’s a relatively recent thread on F53 handling.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/f53-...ms-483756.html

In post #16, I reference this thread as well:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/supe...rs-483583.html

As for carry capacity, you’ve just got to get the actual info for the actual rig(s) you are looking at. It can vary greatly from coach to coach, even for the same year / model, due to a variety of reasons, some obvious and some not. It’s posted on every RV, Tiffin posts a paper usually in a cabinet with the details (others may do something similar) and you’ll also find a yellow sticker usually on the main door entrance on every RV. Need to be sure you are comparing OCCC to OCCC or CCC to CCC (or adjust the water / passenger weight allocations to make them the same).

A lot to think about, that’s for sure. Good luck!
Old 07-22-2020, 07:02 PM   #9

Last fall, we were looking for our full-time rig. It came down to the exact same thing as you, except ours was Bounder 35P vs Tiffin 34PA. At the end of the day, for the EXACT same specifications, the Tiffin was going to be about $20K more. Add to that three or four features that we really didn't like in the bedroom (no back window, TV in a very clunky space, some drawers in an "inconvenient" location", wardrobe was not floor to ceiling), the decision for us was quite easy. I'm not knocking Tiffin, btw. I really think they are nice looking rigs and probably a step up in terms of "prestige" over a Fleetwood. My wife put it quite simply when we were comparing the two: "$20,000 will pay for a lot of customizations and repairs." Good luck with your decision. Either way, you will have a beautiful new rig!
Old 07-24-2020, 07:15 AM   #10

Had a Fleetwood Pace Arrow (1999) that I just sold. Just bought a Tiffin Open Road 36 UA a few weeks ago and heavily considered Fleetwood Bounder consider I've had the Pace Arrow for looong time. Few thoughts on my selection and why:

The Tiffin has much better "bones" than the Fleetwood. Having breakers in the 12v system vs. fuses is such a fantastic improvement. Things are labeled! The wires are labeled! You know what goes to what. There are NO fuses stuck in line that you need to hunt down. I haven't found any particleboard yet in the cabs (besides the wall paneling). The roof is solid fiberglass, NOT rubber. That counted for a lot. Components are organized logically and again - the wires I've seen are labeled. The slide mechanism for the main slide out are hydraulic, not electric. My Tiffin has the Sumo springs - and yes, it does improve the ride and sway that is absolutely noticeable. It is quieter than the Pace to drive by a long shot. It's basically a diesel pusher body put on top of a Ford chassis - which has the downside (for my coach) of having a really low towing weight (watch for that in your unit). I mean, they could have used some thinner birch ply for the drawers and cut back on some of the wood decorative pieces and saved a few hundred pounds I guess. The water pump is EASILY accessed and drain points are easy to find - all right there. Winterizing the unit is very straightforward and the wet bay design is organized and logical. There's no PVC piping that I've found - it's all PEX which is much more resistant and durable to freezing. (don't get me started on all the CPVC I had to replace in my old unit). There is a full component list with Manufacturer, model, and serial number. You know EXACTLY what is installed in this coach without hunting down the components.

There are a few creature comforts that oddly the Fleetwood had that the Tiffin does not that I'm not sure I'll miss. Docking lights. My Pace had lights mounted on the sides of the coach by the rear wheels which really helped get me right next to the service posts when backing into sites and also assisted with getting hooked up. Master switch for cargo lights - givin the Tiffin has motion lights in the cargo hold anyway it's arguable that's not needed. But I'm used to it and like having it. The "computer desk" for the passenger is really there just to check a box. There's not a good place to keep papers by the dash for easy reference. Maybe that's a "get used to it" kinda thing. But overall - none of this matters as much as the positives I noted above.

So basically it's rather like buying a Lexus vs. a GM product. Yes, the Bounder is cheaper for sure - and my wife and I had the same conversation around $ being spent. But given that we're planning on having this thing for quite a while quality components that would be easier to service and would contribute to longevity counted for a lot. BTW - I looked at Thor Challenger, Bounder and the Tiffin. The challenger lost me when I opened the wet bay door.

Perhaps some of this Fleetwood has updated with construction techniques and such. The Tiffin was just built with higher quality techniques and materials IMO that appeared to have a better shot at working better once it's 10-15 years old.
Jonwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:28 AM   #11

I had a same decision to make. I agree with Timmy B. I live near the Tiffin factory and am very familiar with the Tiffin, but checked out our Fleetwood Southwind 39p very closely and in comparison there is little difference in the craftsmanship or quality. We have always liked a rear window and Tiffin does not put rear windows in most of their units. All things being equal the Tiffin costs more and dealerships do not seem to be able or willing to negotiate price like our dealer on the Southwind. We have had it two years and have found that we are happy with our decision. The quality and customer service has been very good. Bith are very good, you will likely be happy with whichever you choose.
Jimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:52 PM   #12

Tiffin be Fleetwood

After owning Fleetwood products for years, the last one a 2015 Bounder I could never recommend any Fleetwood product. Each Fleetwood motorhome we owned went down hill, unbelievably poor quality. We now have a 36ua that we feel is far better quality and have had great support on small issues we’ve had. The Tiffin is certainly not perfect but in my mind far and above a Fleetwood.
Ken
KenJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:21 PM   #13

Apples and Oranges. A diesel pusher is way ahead of a gas coach. You can do all the chassis upgrades to a gas coach and it will never be a diesel pusher. Look for chassis upgrades to a diesel pusher ! Probably won't find any. There is a reason for that.
Phantom13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro, bounder, fleetwood, tiffin