Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram-Man View Post
Back to the have no dealer to service and do warranty work. I do have a Tiffin dealer close by who I have already had a relationship with and thought all was good. When we priced it out there something told me to double check the price. I did and that's when things went down hill. I went back to them and told them the price I had gotten some where else and they still would not budge on their price and told me if I did not buy local I would regret it on the service and warranty end. Well I kinda took that as a threat that they would not service.

On the Newmar side of things, We have a local dealer and tried to purchase there. They do not have one in stock and when I mentioned ordering the salesman completely lost interest and have not heard back. I have called them and asked again about ordering where I did finally get a price spec'd out the way we want it. The only thing now is its 18k higher then a dealer 5 hrs away so right back in the same boat as not having a local dealer who will do the warranty and service.

They both say they would do the service but only when all of their customers were taken care of first and a non-customer would have to fall in when they could get to it.
I always thought dealers made a lot of money off the neverending warranty repairs. I used to run a scientific instrument service division and it was more profitable than the instrument sales division by far.

I remember when I had a new tow-behind that hadn't gotten off the lot due to warranty issues and one service fellow told his service manager that, "we should be making $5000 off each of these after the PDI." The trailer only cost me $17K - and the dealer was expecting bill the manufacturer $5K!!!!!
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ram-man - we made the comparisons for the 2017 model year and ended up with the Ventana LE. Do a search in the Newmar board and you'll find discussions of the comparisons.

Question: with the two different floor plans and lengths seems like you're comparing apples to oranges. Many differences based on layout and length that have nothing to do with the manufacturer. Why not look at two similar floor plans? For us it was the 33A (as you are considering) vs. the Ventana LE 3412. Almost identical floor plans.

Here are some of the points that factored into our decision:

- Newmar has more and larger windows in the cabin, Tiffin feels closed in
- more solid feeling in construction on the Newmar
- better insulation in the Newmar (with upgraded insulation package)
- larger engine on the Tiffin (360hp vs. 340hp)
- bathroom layout favors the Tiffin - larger countertop and easier to use sink
- King bed optional in Tiffin, Queen bed gives more room in Newmar
- flat floor in bedroom in Newmar, step for rear closet in Tiffin
- Tiffin decor is "busier" (frumpier) than Newmar (matter of taste)
- Tiffin comes with tile floor standard, optional upgrade on Newmar
- Comfort Drive on Newmar makes coach a dream to drive in windy conditions or twisty roads

Just some considerations that could guide you to one or the other make. Good luck in your choice

If you haven't already read some on the Tiffin and the Newmar boards, you'll get a sense of whether people are happy with their choice, manufacturer, etc.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemcdou View Post
Ram-man - we made the comparisons for the 2017 model year and ended up with the Ventana LE. Do a search in the Newmar board and you'll find discussions of the comparisons.

Question: with the two different floor plans and lengths seems like you're comparing apples to oranges. Many differences based on layout and length that have nothing to do with the manufacturer. Why not look at two similar floor plans? For us it was the 33A (as you are considering) vs. the Ventana LE 3412. Almost identical floor plans.

- Comfort Drive on Newmar makes coach a dream to drive in windy conditions or twisty roads

Just some considerations that could guide you to one or the other make. Good luck in your choice

If you haven't already read some on the Tiffin and the Newmar boards, you'll get a sense of whether people are happy with their choice, manufacturer, etc.
Thanks Bruce. Really appreciate the input. I can tell you did your research because you are right on point. Would really like to drive a Newmar to test the comfort drive.
The Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:47 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemcdou View Post

Good comparison. I would add that Newmar includes double pane windows in the LE. Last time I was looking, the RED used single pane glass. Additionally, the Newmar will be quieter due to the construction and insulation. I did see the standard cabinets are better quality (solid wood) in the RED. I think the LE uses vinyl wrapped frames with solid wood doors. Wood frames are optional. I think that's still the case.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Good comparison. I would add that Newmar includes double pane windows in the LE. Last time I was looking, the RED used single pane glass. Additionally, the Newmar will be quieter due to the construction and insulation. I did see the standard cabinets are better quality (solid wood) in the RED. I think the LE uses vinyl wrapped frames with solid wood doors. Wood frames are optional. I think that's still the case.
jt
Yes Sir JT you are right on the cabinets. The wrapped cabinets are standard but I think they do offer all wood as an upgrade. I just made plans to go test drive an LE tomorrow morning. I found a 34' LE an hour away.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:52 PM   #20
cvd

Compare the chassis GVWR's. Per the their web sites, the RED (all 3 versions) come on a 32k chassis; Ventana LE comes on 31.4k chassis on "34's" and 37.5k chassis on the 37's and 40's. The Ventana 37's look like a better balanced coach to me.
cvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #21

We have a 2017 Newmar Ventanna LE 4037. 360 Cummins, towing 2014 F-150 or a 2013 Jeep Wrangler. I live in S Mississippi and bought from Midway in Grand Rapids MI. I go to Freightliner in Gaffney SC for yearly service. If I need service on the house I go to the factory in Nappanee. It’s closer than my dealer.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:59 AM   #22

So much has been made regarding the Newmar Comfort Drive system I wonder if there's an aftermarket alternative that can be installed on any class A.
I'm familiar with the Safe-T-Plus but looking for any other driver assist options.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
If you are traveling a lot, having a local dealer doesn’t count for much. Why worry about the local guy if you are 1000 miles away when something goes wrong?
This is an excellent point.

FTer's that buy and then start traveling, having a local dealer for warranty work is pretty much useless. And most US dealers say pretty much say the same thing—if you didn't buy your coach with us—get in line, we'll try to get to ya. And then, if and when then do get to ya, hopefully they know what they're doing and get you back up and running. It's usually a very slow, and frustrating process with most dealers. There are exceptions of course, but few and far between from what we've heard from folks we have run into. This is a big problem and manufacturers know it.

So here's a real possible option
We've learned that many if not most MH manufacturers will authorize warranty work with approved and certified Mobile Service Companies for most house type work. There are some Mobile Service Companies that do in fact perform warranty work.

I would call both manufacturers and ask if they support this kind of policy, do they have a list of pre-approved/authorized mobile tech companies around the country, how to go about getting work & parts approved while on the road etc, etc.

Chassis warranty stuff should be covered by shops around the country.

If anything BIG goes wrong, like a major slide issue or something like that, you can always make an appointment and go back to the factory and have their service dept. take care of it. We've talked to several people who have chosen this option and all of them have had good outcomes.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
This is an excellent point.

FTer's that buy and then start traveling, having a local dealer for warranty work is pretty much useless. And most US dealers say pretty much say the same thing—if you didn't buy your coach with us—get in line, we'll try to get to ya. And then, if and when then do get to ya, hopefully they know what they're doing and get you back up and running. It's usually a very slow, and frustrating process with most dealers. There are exceptions of course, but few and far between from what we've heard from folks we have run into. This is a big problem and manufacturers know it.

So here's a real possible option
We've learned that many if not most MH manufacturers will authorize warranty work with approved and certified Mobile Service Companies for most house type work. There are some Mobile Service Companies that do in fact perform warranty work.

I would call both manufacturers and ask if they support this kind of policy, do they have a list of pre-approved/authorized mobile tech companies around the country, how to go about getting work & parts approved while on the road etc, etc.

Chassis warranty stuff should be covered by shops around the country.

If anything BIG goes wrong, like a major slide issue or something like that, you can always make an appointment and go back to the factory and have their service dept. take care of it. We've talked to several people who have chosen this option and all of them have had good outcomes.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:04 AM   #25

Based on the parameters of your original post I'd answer "where do you want to drive for service, Nappanee or Red Bay?"

However I'd suggest you'll spend MANY days living in a coach vs. FEW days in service shops, so get what most appeals in everyday use. If service becomes more important than livability, then you may have a lemon. Which can happen with any brand.

I've read many comparisons over the years of these two companies with the general consensus they both have excellent, but not perfect customer service.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
These guys obviously didn't know their coaches. There is direct engine access in the rear of all of the rear radiator Tiffin coaches. A panel is removed above the rear floor and a section of the floor lifts out for access to the top of the engine, fan clutch, etc. In addition on our RED, there was a removable panel inside the driver's side rear storage compartment that gave some access to the alternator, etc.
I wondered if that was the case. The one guy did seem knowledgeable but i do not know i did not looks inside. That is why i was asking.

The other guy that posted about rear versus side this is true but most good companies put in access panels like my winnie that allows you to do most repairs without the need of radiator removal. Is it as convenient as side no but i have found mostly we can accomplish what is needed.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:19 AM   #27

Actually sitting in the Newmar now as the wife drives. I already drove and I must say the comfort drive is a very nice option. As you turn the dial you can feel the difference. Now it’s not dramatic but there is a difference
Old 02-15-2019, 09:26 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram-Man View Post
Actually sitting in the Newmar now as the wife drives. I already drove and I must say the comfort drive is a very nice option. As you turn the dial you can feel the difference. Now it’s not dramatic but there is a difference

Yes it is nice. We drive with it turned up all the way, low speed turn it back halfway. Makes a big difference on long drives, windy days, etc.

To the previous poster who asked about aftermarket equivalents, I think the “Comfort Drive” is just Newmars name for a Freightliner option. So don’t expect you could retrofit it on an existing coach. That said, I believe Newmar is the only manufacturer who provides it standard on all models, even the lowly VTLE!

We added a safe T Steer, along with anti sway bar and upgraded shocks, to our previous Gas Class A, and it all made a big difference in handling but nowhere near the effect of Comfort Drive.

Tags
allegro, newmar, tiffin, vent, ventana