Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #15

We liked the floor plan and interiors of the Tiffin. But the lack of double pane windows was a deal breaker for us.

You might also want to look under the baggage compartments of a few Tiffins. I found skimpy paint and rust on more than a few that were only a year or so old. Not to say that Newmar is perfect (I've found deficits in the chassis paint on both of ours), but their rust prevention is better in my experience.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #16

Hi, we had a Tiffin RED 38QBA, overall a good motorhome, everyone talks about how great the customer service is at Tiffin, we had the sidewall crack (about 5"long) right where the bedroom slide comes in, the unit was 2 years old. I tried to convince Tiffin that even though our 1 year warranty was over their own literature states the fibreglass construction has a 5 year warranty....true but only for delimitation not cracking. I found that odd. The repair of the crack was only cosmetic and did not address the weak spot in the side which caused the crack in the first place, still cost me approximately $3000.00. We started looking at a Ventana but ultimately let our selves get talked into a new Dutch Star. Although our new Dutch Star doesn't arrive for a few more weeks I can tell you we test drove a new Ventana and two different DS. Very impressed by the differences in the drive. Highly recommend you follow the advice previously offered and test drive both units (on and off highway for a min 30 minutes each) before making your choice.

Cheers Mike
Kimik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
We liked the floor plan and interiors of the Tiffin. But the lack of double pane windows was a deal breaker for us.

You might also want to look under the baggage compartments of a few Tiffins. I found skimpy paint and rust on more than a few that were only a year or so old. Not to say that Newmar is perfect (I've found deficits in the chassis paint on both of ours), but their rust prevention is better in my experience.
Tiffin doors are aluminum and can't rust. They are also much more stout. No way I would put my full weight on our Ventana's doors. All Tiffin doors are built the same regardless if you get a Open Road or a Bus. Tiffin basement compartments are much better in my opinion. We didn't like the carpet covering in our Ventana.
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:33 PM   #18

"Last RV first would be nice but a DS4369 type endgame too intimidating for now."

If you're truly looking for something 37' or larger, a 40' or 43' is not a stretch at all. Ventana also has the 4369 floor plan. That was the clincher for us. The Dutch Star was more expensive, and we didn't see enough difference for our needs to go the extra dollars.

I agree with the other posters that the floorplan is one of the major keys. it's the one part of the coach you will ALWAYS use and live with.
Logan Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCGibson View Post
Tiffin doors are aluminum and can't rust. They are also much more stout. No way I would put my full weight on our Ventana's doors. All Tiffin doors are built the same regardless if you get a Open Road or a Bus. Tiffin basement compartments are much better in my opinion. We didn't like the carpet covering in our Ventana.
I'm talking about the steel framing below the bins. I've seen a number of them bare steel unpainted on the inward facing surface and bottom. The side facing out that's easily visible is always painted.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #20

All thoughtful and appropriate replies.

Leaning toward Ventana if only for mainly the double pane windows, roof insulation and most importantly floor plan as mentioned above. Truely no mistake or second best with a Tiffin but south Florida heat is always an issue to mitagate.

I just test drove my first motorhome and believe I was fighting the comfort Drive, see sawing a Ventana 3709. Sales said I was perfect but he was a nice salesman.

With two tall teens, the bath and a half under 38 feet is appealing particularly if I can get the new flexsteal couch that raises into twin bunk beds. I saw one in a dutchstar and it was over six feet long. My dream floor plan would be two bathrooms and two recliners Oposite a couch/bunk as I don’t need a fireplace usually across from the standard couch in a 3709. Might have to look at a 40 with tag to get the perfect layout but parking in particular as well as turning longer rigs are not appealing for this noob. Would a 40’ with tag turn and maneuver same/similar to a 38’? Not a stretch for a 43 all of the sudden which I want to avoid.

As significant as this good problem choice seems currently, storage, learning camp/resort ritual hook ups, maintainence, making time to steal away for trips and mostly convincing the family I’m not crazy to take this ‘journey’ on will make it seem simple... sharing your good experience is priceless and hope to be able to do same in future.
MajorVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #21

Just a comment re Comfort Drive....
It's very hard to really get a feel for what it does and if you like it w a test drive.
Each person finds a comfortable setting or range they prefer. Sone... myself included change the setting at diffetent tome & conditions.
The more I experiment and use it the more I appreciate it.
Didn't know anything about it when we purchased used but SOOO glad I got lucky.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:23 PM   #22

Make sure you check access to bath and refrigerator with slides closed.
charli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:22 PM   #23

Tiffin Allegro RED v Newmar Ventana

I try and try to like a Newmar over Tiffin but it won’t happen. First I can’t stand their interior decors and lack of both inside and outside storage space. Tiffin beats Newmar hands down in those categories. Can’t beat English Chestnut cabinet colour. The half bath on all Newmars have barely enough space to be useable unless you are a child. Teho
Old 02-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
I try and try to like a Newmar over Tiffin but it won’t happen. First I can’t stand their interior decors and lack of both inside and outside storage space. Tiffin beats Newmar hands down in those categories. Can’t beat English Chestnut cabinet colour. Teho
For the most part it would be hard to get me into a Tiffin over a Newmar. But I have to agree, the Tiffin cabinetry in English Chestnut is beautiful. And, I think just better quality cabinetry than Newmar's standard vinyl wrapped stuff. They use solid doors but the frames are not solid wood.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:30 PM   #25
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
For the most part it would be hard to get me into a Tiffin over a Newmar. But I have to agree, the Tiffin cabinetry in English Chestnut is beautiful. And, I think just better quality cabinetry than Newmar's standard vinyl wrapped stuff. They use solid doors but the frames are not solid wood.
jt
Cabinetry in my Dutch Star is solid wood. There is no vinyl wrapping.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:10 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Cabinetry in my Dutch Star is solid wood. There is no vinyl wrapping.
Things must have changed. Reviewing the current features, it appears the vinyl wrapped frames may be used only on the gassers. Diesels appear to now be solid wood. Sorry if I miss spoke.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorVictory View Post
All thoughtful and appropriate replies.

Leaning toward Ventana if only for mainly the double pane windows, roof insulation and most importantly floor plan as mentioned above. Truely no mistake or second best with a Tiffin but south Florida heat is always an issue to mitagate.

I just test drove my first motorhome and believe I was fighting the comfort Drive, see sawing a Ventana 3709. Sales said I was perfect but he was a nice salesman.

With two tall teens, the bath and a half under 38 feet is appealing particularly if I can get the new flexsteal couch that raises into twin bunk beds. I saw one in a dutchstar and it was over six feet long. My dream floor plan would be two bathrooms and two recliners Oposite a couch/bunk as I don’t need a fireplace usually across from the standard couch in a 3709. Might have to look at a 40 with tag to get the perfect layout but parking in particular as well as turning longer rigs are not appealing for this noob. Would a 40’ with tag turn and maneuver same/similar to a 38’? Not a stretch for a 43 all of the sudden which I want to avoid.

As significant as this good problem choice seems currently, storage, learning camp/resort ritual hook ups, maintainence, making time to steal away for trips and mostly convincing the family I’m not crazy to take this ‘journey’ on will make it seem simple... sharing your good experience is priceless and hope to be able to do same in future.

The first time I drove a Newmar with comfort drive I felt the same as you. After some time behind the wheel you learn how to relax and let the CD work for you. Now when I get behind the wheel I feel it is a pleasure to drive and wouldn’t want anything but.
Vacationfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:14 AM   #28

Our good friends just purchased the Newmar Ventana 3412 and we just purchased the Allegro Red 33AA. Same chassis and transmission and basically the same length within 10 inches. The Newmar definitely had several features which were superior to the Tiffin including double pane windows and the drive control system. I will be adding Blue Ox Trucenter and some suspension upgrades which should take care of most of the differences in the ride and handling. Big difference for us was the fact that we paid nearly $70,000 less for our new coach. Both are 2018 models. We actually like the floor plan on the Tiffin product a little better and there was no king bed option on the Newmar.

Both are great coaches and I think you have to look at how they are going to be used.
bmwrider1946 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro, newmar, tiffin, vent, ventana