Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2023, 09:40 AM   #1

Tiffin coolant system service

My Tiffin Phaeton is five years old and needs coolant system service and flushing. Freightliner quotes at 1200-1400 for service and 450 for flush. Does that sound right?
Dochoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2023, 11:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

No, but I have no idea what sort of "service" that might be. $450 for a complete coolant flush is the right ball park for that (if actually needed), but I can't imagine what else would be done to the cooling system for another $1200+. $1200-$1400 sounds more like a complete chassis maintenance, e.g. oil & filter change, fuel filters, chassis lube, tranny filter, air dryer, etc.

Personally I would not buy a coolant flush unless there were indications of contamination. I'd just do a coolant change, i.e. drain as much of the old coolant as is practical and refill with fresh coolant.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 04:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
No, but I have no idea what sort of "service" that might be. $450 for a complete coolant flush is the right ball park for that (if actually needed), but I can't imagine what else would be done to the cooling system for another $1200+. $1200-$1400 sounds more like a complete chassis maintenance, e.g. oil & filter change, fuel filters, chassis lube, tranny filter, air dryer, etc.

Personally I would not buy a coolant flush unless there were indications of contamination. I'd just do a coolant change, i.e. drain as much of the old coolant as is practical and refill with fresh coolant.
What Gary said.

In addition, I got a quote for about that much including coolant from a local shop. I'd actually trust them to do the work, but a coolant change isn't hard given a place to put the drained coolant. A friend with a shop let me do it there, which saved me a few hundred bucks.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 07:03 PM   #4

What year is coach, to determine if OAT coolant is in it OEM.
Older coolant has additives that can be tested with strips to make sure safe mix per temp and anti cavitation additives for wet sleeve motors. If getting low in additives but in safe zone, a new slow release coolant filter is changed out. You can send a sample to be tested for issues and other additives like corrosion additives. Even a full flush and change to OAT coolant shouldn't be that much.
You can find threads of of swap to OAT coolant. It seems many have gone to and extreme to remove any trace of old coolant. Cummins came out to say there are completely compatible. That's not saying you want half old and new as it would be hard to know residual additives left.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 09:35 AM   #5

I missed you said coach was 5yrs old. Is Cummins that suggest 5 year flush or Tiffin. Remember Cummins info for OTR semi could be rolling 100k per year.
I can't tell you if it was filled with modern OAT coolant. like Fleetguard EScomplete often a brochure might be included in build binder. This is info below. How many miles are on coach? $450 for the flush doesn't seem to out of line. I don't know extent of the rest of service. Fluid analysis can determine quality of the fluid protection and any breakdown of the radiator aluminium, engine components such as the iron ,steel. $450 also not large cost compared to travel and ownership of for such a new coach.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230422-102631.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	390994
Old 04-22-2023, 05:05 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum.

I would also agree that a coolant flush may not necessarily be needed. You can change the coolant yourself as FCCC does recommend a coolant change a 5 years (100,000 miles or 60 months, whichever comes first).

Here's the page from FCCC's general maintenance manual that will give you step-by-step instructions:

20--03 Coolant Replacement

But yes, that's outrageous for only a coolant change. Tell us where your general location is and I can look through my journal and see if there's a good private garage that can do it for less than a Freightliner facility if you don't want to do it yourself.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 06:09 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I may have missed this suggestion above, but I would send a sample off to JG Lubricants to see if it is even needed. I recently did on my 2019 coach just to find out and it came back total hardness was way too high. They suspected someone, possibly the dealer, topped it off with tap water. Not even sure why it would have needed to be topped off. Still a mystery to me. I drained and replaced 7 of the total system of 11 gallons and replaced with Final Charge (the type Tiffin filled with). Sent in another sample and it came back well within spec. Anyway, I thought JG Lubricants sample and send process was pretty easy.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 03:25 PM   #8

That stinks maybe somebody just grabbed the wrong jug or untrained personnel . I suppose a half to gallon of well or city water depending on hardness could cost you $150 for new AF plus retesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegats1 View Post
I may have missed this suggestion above, but I would send a sample off to JG Lubricants to see if it is even needed. I recently did on my 2019 coach just to find out and it came back total hardness was way too high. They suspected someone, possibly the dealer, topped it off with tap water. Not even sure why it would have needed to be topped off. Still a mystery to me. I drained and replaced 7 of the total system of 11 gallons and replaced with Final Charge (the type Tiffin filled with). Sent in another sample and it came back well within spec. Anyway, I thought JG Lubricants sample and send process was pretty easy.

Tags
coolant, service, tiffin