Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2021, 06:01 PM   #1

Tiffin Open Road vs. Newmar Canyon Star

Considering purchasing either a 2020 Tiffin Open Road or a 2020 Newmar Canyon Star. I have had Travel Trailers in the past but this is my first step up to Motor Coach. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
BCinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2021, 06:09 PM   #2

Check them both out. You can't go too wrong with either company. It will come down to which one you think will best suit your likes and needs.

Personally I prefer the look and feel of the Tiffin open road better( we own a Tiffin 32SA and are happy campers)
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:14 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good information to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up of add information if you can.

I agree you won't go wrong with either choice as both are good units. Which one "fits" you better?

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:59 PM   #4

Take a good look at the cabinets. The recent Tiffins we looked at were poor quality. We looked at 5 different Tiffins a few weeks ago and every one of them had cabinet doors falling off and broken drawers.

I get not every rig is perfect coming off the line, but I was pretty disappointed in how bad the cabinet quality was comparable to my current Newmar and some new Newmars we were also looking at.

Also, when it comes down to floor plans, I think Newmar wins in that category as well.

Am a I biased, I guess, since we bought a Newmar.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:43 AM   #5

We looked at both Newmar and Tiffin before making our decision on a Tiffin. I spent about 3 years researching before we narrowed it down to 4 floor plans, 2 Tiffin and 2 Newmar. As we looked at the floor plans (once we were able to see them in person) I told my wife to act like she was living in them and go through the motions of cooking, relaxing, bathroom and bedroom activities, etc. to see how the floor plan fit our activities. Ended up in the Tiffin RED 37BA. I was hoping for the the Newmar, but she liked the Tiffin. The floor plan we have is perfect for us and we love our RV. Find the floor plan that fits your needs, they are both great choices.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:57 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a Harvard-Yale question. Both are very good RV manufacturers. We love our Tiffin. But we saw it first and never looked at Newmar. I'm sure there are same stories on the Newmar side. Between the two, it will ultimately be a choice of floorplan and aesthetics preference, with confidence in build quality and support for both. I know that both are experiencing corporate structure changes, but their new owners have not taken them on to plunder them. I would not avoid either because of fear.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:15 AM   #7

How is the ride on the Tiffin or Newmar? Did you consider liquid springs (LS) to soften the ride on your Class A?

My dream Class A gas coach would be to ride like the DP. Thus the interest in liquid springs. I know LS are expensive but, one must get the coach they want in order to be happy.

I admire those of you with DP coaches. I dont have the skill to drive or maintain them. Also, don't want to pay the high cost to maintain them. We would never get use out of it. But it would be nice!!

Happy New Year!!
Sarz272000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:50 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarz272000 View Post
How is the ride on the Tiffin or Newmar? Did you consider liquid springs (LS) to soften the ride on your Class A?

My dream Class A gas coach would be to ride like the DP. Thus the interest in liquid springs. I know LS are expensive but, one must get the coach they want in order to be happy.

I admire those of you with DP coaches. I dont have the skill to drive or maintain them. Also, don't want to pay the high cost to maintain them. We would never get use out of it. But it would be nice!!

Happy New Year!!
First, all I've ever driven since we started RV'ing in 2004 are F53 chassis Class A's. My choice, but I'll never dispute anyone's assertions regarding the quality of a DP's ride. But I'll say, also, that the ride and handling of my gas Class A's has been perfectly fine, with the Tiffin being the best of the two, and quietest. Only suspension upgrade on the Tiffin is Sumo Springs (plus 22.5 in.tires) vs. my 1st.

That said, when I saw the LiquidSpring ad in this month's RV Magazine showing they are now offering their product on both the front and rear axles of Fleetwood gas Class A's, it caught my attention. That, I would pay for, so long as the weight trade-off was neutral or nearly so. Will be very interesting to watch as that story develops further.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:43 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
Find the floor plan that fits your needs, they are both great choices.
What he said, best of luck choosing.

Steve
Old 01-04-2021, 04:26 PM   #10

Cant really go wrong with either. We opted for the Tiffin 32SA as our choice and never looked back.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:20 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bottom line they are both built on the Ford chassis, as long as the chassis is the same weight (mine is the 26k chassis) the engine, ride, brakes, etc. are exactly the same.

The house: floor plan is the most important thing between the two brands. Finish of cabinets, flooring etc. is all personal taste.

With gas coaches especially the available storage and tow capacity need to be in the equation!! You just can't take any gas coach and tow 5k lbs with all your personal stuff onboard. Pay attention! (I shouldn't say you can't; you can't safely)

I would also consider factory service, if one is closer to you then that's worth a check mark, if neither is really closer then it's a null.

Word Of Caution: Many times a motorhome will be built on a previous year chassis, my 2017 motorhome is built on a 2016 chassis. In my model years there were no changes so it didn't make a difference. There was a big change in the last year of gas coaches chassis, make sure you have the chassis you think you are getting!!

Steve
Old 01-05-2021, 12:57 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
Bottom line they are both built on the Ford chassis, as long as the chassis is the same weight (mine is the 26k chassis) the engine, ride, brakes, etc. are exactly the same.

Steve

Starting with the 2021 models Canyon Stars are Freightliner based FREDs. The F53 chassis was used up through the ‘20 model year. Steve is correct for the ‘20 model year in question, but I wanted to make sure everyone had the full story.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:26 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
+1 for Tiffin.

Picked up our 2016 32SA in September. We love it!

But, as many have said, you can't go wrong with either.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:40 PM   #14

In 2016 Tiffin gassers had far nicer cabinetry than Newmar gassers--Tiffins has real wood cabinets and wood drawer bottoms, Newmars had vinyl wrap MDF cabinets and wall board drawer bottoms. My wife wasn't having any of that so we bought a Tiffin.

The Tiffins had a more restrained interior design that was more to our taste than the busier Newmars.

Maybe things are different now.

Tags
canyon star, newmar, tiffin