Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2018, 05:35 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchieg1965 View Post
I know this is an older post but i'm just starting to research Tiffins. I saw a used 32SA online and love the floor plan. Will try to make a trip out and walk thru one. One thing that concerned me was that the previous owner had installed the silver bubble board insulation sheets in the back wall of all of the cabinets. While this seems like a good idea i was wondering if maybe the insulation wasn't as good as in the Newmars?

If any owners of the Tiffins can speak to this i would appreciate it. The overall build quality of both coaches look great. Just wondering about insulation.

Thanks
The cabinets, when closed which is all the time, do not get the benefit from air conditioning and become rather warm when the coach is out in the sun. We met a couple who installed the aluminum foil backed bubble board in the back walls of the cabinets to keep them cooler. The fancy full-body paint jobs on the newer coaches are too dark, in my estimation. Lotsa black colors which absorb the sun's heat. Every manufacturers sidewalls are two inches thick and use foam insulation. Maybe they should consider an aluminum foil layer between the outer wall and the studs to reflect heat. Personally, going back to lighter colors would help quite a bit IMO. I would not be concerned about this subject. All of our coaches kinda had the same problem, but it's not a big deal.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2018, 10:53 AM   #58

I would buy the one with the floor plan you like the best. I have a 2015 Bay star 3401 which I love. It isn't optimum for families though - but is perfect for a couple with maybe an occasional guest.

As far as Tiffin or Newmar - both are what I consider the cream of the crop. Both are built well and use quality materials. On some plans Tiffin uses a heavier chassis which can be an advantage if you like to pack heavy - I don't. Newmars have nicer side walls and better insulation. I can cruise down the road in 100 degree weather with just the dash air going and be comfortable. It is also very quiet on the road with the exception of climbing hills when the engine is pulling hard.

Find the best floorplan and then test drive - you'll know if it's good for you.
buffgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:13 PM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I’m the OP for this thread. We couldn’t find a real reason to choose Tiffin vs Newmar.

In the end, floor plan won out.

We ended up with a Newmar Bay Star 3113.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #60

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Both good coaches from good companies. Same chassis and driveline under both. Pick the one you like best and I'm sure you will be pleased either one.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:55 PM   #61

I am following another post where many of the posters consider Newmar to be the Devil incarnate.

Just goes to show you how many folks will end up with only one of the thousands of coaches built and judge the whole company by their experiences with that one coach.

We have a 99 MA gasser our fifth class A including two Allegros, along with three TT's a fifth wheel and a Class b and it is by far the best built gas coach we ever had. Not saying it is perfect, but we are very happy with the unit.

Of the two, I would rate them about the same for different reasons. Allegro seems to be a bit more favored for its customer support and Newmar for its QC.

Good luck with your choice and keep us posted.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:16 PM   #62

These are different coaches, but still a comparison of companies. My son had a 2015 and 2016 Mountain Aire while I had our 2013 Allegro Bus. By comparison, the Newmar coaches were quieter and easier to heat or cool due to the insulation. He had lots of QC issues with the 2016 MA to the point he sold it after 18 months. My Bus on the other hand has been virtually trouble free for 53,000 miles. I can keep it cool in 100* heat and warm in the colder temps. My Powerglide chassis handles as well as the MA's and drives with two fingers. I found the Tiffin dealer and company support to be second to none. Not sure with Newmar.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
I’m the OP for this thread. We couldn’t find a real reason to choose Tiffin vs Newmar.

In the end, floor plan won out.

We ended up with a Newmar Bay Star 3113.
Knightstorm its funny you mention the 3113. That was the top floorplan we were concidering, then we started researching tiffins and like the open road 32 sa. I guess the 3226 is the new and improved 3113.
ritchieg1965 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, tiffin