Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2018, 03:19 PM   #43

Ken - Congrats on your decision. You two are writing the check, checks! So it is all about what you two feel you wanted!

Best of ongoing luck to you both,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2018, 03:47 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Congrats on the AB 40 IP. I just watched the video from North Trail RV on the 2019. All I can say is...wow! Love the layout and flat floor thru the coach. A lot of other enhancements that make my Pheaton rather crude. If my wife see's that video, its going to get very expensive for me.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:53 PM   #45

Congrats
You were in an enviable position as all your choices were good ones.
Are you planning on FPU or dealer PDI?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:20 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkm01 View Post
OK. After considering 2019 Newmar DS 4018 or Tiffin Allegro Bus 40IP for a long time, we have made a decision. All the feedback on this thread has been very helpful as well as considerable info that exists throughout iRV2. Today, we ordered the AB 40IP. Really could not get everything we wanted in either coach, but finally selected the Bus. Wanted tag axle and comfort steer that DS offered, but ultimately the Bus had more things we really wanted including: better floorplan (for us), larger rear bathroom and shower with two sinks, bedroom fireplace, more basement and cabinet storage, two local dealer/service centers that are highly rated, larger capacities for fuel, grey and black water, larger generator, Spyder controls, white cabinets in rear bathroom Both seem to be great coaches. Expect mine to be delivered in about March, but don't have a date yet.

As a newby to RVing, any key essentials that I need to be purchasing to outfit my RV?
Ken,
Congrats on your purchase! We ordered a 40IP back in late August and will take delivery the first week of January. We went to to the Tiffin factory twice, first to see the IP coach and make selections and just recently to watch the build.

Our first additions will be a dash camera, tire pressure monitor and a Coach Proxy.

Heathtx
heathtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:23 AM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Congrats
You were in an enviable position as all your choices were good ones.
Are you planning on FPU or dealer PDI?
Winemaker2 - Have not yet decided about FPU or dealer PDI. Would enjoy a visit to the factory to see it built, but will have to see where the build dates fall and whether we can make time to visit.

2019 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 IP (On Order)
wkm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:52 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkm01 View Post
Winemaker2 - Have not yet decided about FPU or dealer PDI. Would enjoy a visit to the factory to see it built, but will have to see where the build dates fall and whether we can make time to visit.
I've never ordered new but have read great things about FPU especially w Tiffin & Newmar. Everyone said the TLC, dedication to getting it right and pleasing the customers was well worth it plus you get a superior education as a side benefit.
I think you also make some connections for follow up questions etc that are an added benefit.
I don't recall anyone reporting it wasn't worth the time and $ if there's a way to make it possible.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 01:30 PM   #49

Tiffin Build and FPU

If I remember correctly, getting to go watch your coach be built at Tiffin ceases on December 1 of this year. I'm not sure it is wise to do a factory pick up of the coach as the dealer needs to do a pre delivery inspection (PDI) on your behalf before you receive the coach.

For example, our coach will be completed about the middle of December and we are planning on being at the dealer the first few days of January. That lets them complete the PDI and make any corrections/adjustments before we get it.
heathtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #50

Never had a Newmar. We have a 2015 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH. Been thru the Tiffin repair facility several times, mostly for issues from a newly standpoint. This is our FIRST rv - ever. No 5th wheelers, no class c - nothing. Been very happy with service in Red Bay. Won't go to a dealer. Heard too many horror stories from others and techs. Everything from trimming the windshield to fit, to wrong plumbing, etc. etc. Don't know if you can do the same thing with Newmar, but it made our decision much easier to know we can always go to Red Bay for service.
twolf3820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:13 PM   #51

No experience with Newmar or tag axles, but I can tell you Tiffin's service is exceptional. They have overnighted parts to me when I was 1,000 miles from home. They replaced a step motor free of charge even though it was out of warranty. When you call their service department in Red Bay, you speak to a technician who specializes in your area of concern, and they stay on the phone to walk you through resolution. Their online parts store is great for DIY owners, like me.
MVGFWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:29 PM   #52

Smile Love our Newmar

We bought our first Newmar Ventana a little over a year ago after having an Alpine Coach for years. The comfort drive is worth every penny. Anyone who had an Alpine would tell you the drive was among the best but the Newmar is right there. Hubby does most of the driving but when I take over and it's windy (always in KS and WY) or we're in the mountains in Colorado I really notice that I'm much more relaxed behind the wheel.

The back emergency door is also a plus, you can use it for loading or just peace of mind knowing you wouldn't have to squeeze out of that little bedroom window in case of emergency.

We too have had negative feedback from our local Newmar dealer as far as service but the few times we had problems with them getting the work done we let Newmar know and right away our issues were resolved. Even received an apology from the dealer. The best part though was our recent tour through the Newmar Facility...WOW...what an experience. Easy to see why they are so nice once you see for yourself how they are constructed. While we were there we had some minor issues to repair and they treated us like royalty. Even found us a nice room with air conditioning, TV and Laundry facilities where we could relax with our 5 dogs and wait for the repairs.

You can't go wrong with a Newmar.
Fly'n Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #53

DP Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Think comfort steer is overrated as patent expired and no one else is jumping on equipping theirs with it. Besides all dp's are supposed to ride and handle fantastic.
Who says all dp's are supposed to ride and handle fantastic? Maybe the guy trying to sell them. Some dp's handle no better than gassers and the ride is not that great either.
H Steinhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #54

I don't think you can go wrong with either unit. Buy the one your wife likes!
StageCoachDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:07 PM   #55

Tiffin or Newmar and Newby Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Think comfort steer is overrated as patent expired and no one else is jumping on equipping theirs with it. Besides all dp's are supposed to ride and handle fantastic.

American Coach now features the same unit as comfort drive as well as Newell.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #56

I own a 2018 Newmar Essex 45 footer with a tag axle and comfort steer and ever other goodie Newmar could add

The Tag axle is a must for several reasons. The coach will ride quieter to begin with as well as a higher towing captivity

Comfort steer is great. I would never switch back to a non comfort steer like system.

I had a 2017 HR Endevor 40 footer with no tag and no comfort steer Had it less than a year because it was a battle to drive and was so noisy on the road.

The HR is a rattle trap compared to the Newmar and Newmar does a great st insulating the rig.

My advise is that you don’t want to be worn out by the time you reach your destination because you have to fight it down the road or it’s was too noisy to enjoy the ride.

Most Newmar owners stay Newmar owners.

Buy the best you can afford because you will always want to upgrade
DrRuss333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, tiffin