Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2018, 02:18 AM   #85

Newmar Owners Club
I have had a Class C gas, a 36 ft Class A gas, a 40 ft Class A DP and now a 45 ft Class A DP. I was driving through a mountain pass with the Class C and got blown off the road by a gust of wind. In the Class A gas every time a semi would pass by I got pushed in the beginning then sucked in when they passed. It was a constant battle driving down the highway to stay vigilant. The 40 ft Newmar Dutchstar with the Spartan chassis was a wonder. Semi's did not bother it or me. The comfort steer is also amazing. In full tight mode it tracks down the road easily. When parking in a tight campground in full loose mode it is easy to maneuver. I must confess that I have not driven any other DP other than a Newmar so I cannot comment on how they compare, but I can compare to gas RV's and there is no comparison.
Zarbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2018, 03:43 AM   #86
PDL

Slide size

We have a 2015 Tiffin Bus. We looked for 2 years at the Newmar and Tiffin. We purchased Tiffin for 3 reasons; the Bus slides are one piece fiberglass tubs(no seams to open up) and the slides are taller. Newmar slides are several inches shorter inside. We like the kitchen area and storage was larger and more functional. And third is Tiffin service. Never drove comfort steer so I don’t miss it. In reality, either manufacturer will provide what you want with quality and support. Pick a floor plan the wife likes and you will be happy.
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:29 PM   #87

Tiffin/Newmar

Just picked up our forth Tiffin coach, a 40 IP Bus. Have been here two weeks at dealer getting things fixed or ordered in. Our trade in was a 2016 lemon and quality control hasn't improved a whole lot. All coaches have some issues but not the obvious like we are seeing. In my opinion all Tiffin's son cares about is numbers, push, push, for more quanity over quality. Our coach came with a broken real lower ladder, engine door latch not properly adjusted, a solar panel not able to charge our house batteries so we had to add more. Tiffin should have had this figured out before offering it in the first place, that is their job. I could go on but won't. I would seriously look more into a Newmar Dutch Star next time. We all pay big bucks for these coaches and the quality control is not matching what we pay. It isn't all about paint and how pretty it is. Tiffin's are built in Alabama and doesn't understand four season traveling. Not in my opinion and because of policiy changes Quality control won't get any better.
loren harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:13 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren harris View Post
Just picked up our forth Tiffin coach, a 40 IP Bus. Have been here two weeks at dealer getting things fixed or ordered in. Our trade in was a 2016 lemon and quality control hasn't improved a whole lot. All coaches have some issues but not the obvious like we are seeing. In my opinion all Tiffin's son cares about is numbers, push, push, for more quanity over quality. Our coach came with a broken real lower ladder, engine door latch not properly adjusted, a solar panel not able to charge our house batteries so we had to add more. Tiffin should have had this figured out before offering it in the first place, that is their job. I could go on but won't. I would seriously look more into a Newmar Dutch Star next time. We all pay big bucks for these coaches and the quality control is not matching what we pay. It isn't all about paint and how pretty it is. Tiffin's are built in Alabama and doesn't understand four season traveling. Not in my opinion and because of policiy changes Quality control won't get any better.
Best to you as you work out the post build blues! Work your way thru them, then go out and have some fun... That's what it's all about. And from what I've seen, those in Tiffen's, Newmar's, Entegra's, Fleetwood's, Winneabago's, etc. - all seem to have a good time when in the campground!!!

It's not as much about the rig, as it is the experiences with whatever rig you're using.

(Well, except for Country Coach owners. Every ride is red carpet. Nothing every breaks or goes wrong. Bugs avoid the windshield. Mud and dirt will not cling to the paint. The fuel tanks remain magically full at all times, the black and grey empty at all times too. No wind noises. Never too hot, or too cold inside. The coaches appreciate vs depreciate. And, all member's of the CC gang, know the secret handshake too....)

Best to you, travel safe, and enjoy!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #89

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine is an 05 and I park it next to my house within inches. Many people stop and try to figure out how I got it between the oak tree and bushes and house. It is the turning capability of the Newmar that allows that. Once I get half the RV backed next to the house the turning allows the front end to virtually move sideways. I have been in places many others would have passed by but with my Newmar I am very comfortable getting into tight spaces. She may be old but delivers a wonderful ride, comfort and drive.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:41 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkm01 View Post

Part of my problem is that I like the interior styling and the tag axle and comfort steer of the Newmars, but the dealer and service center (CW north of Richmond, VA) near me for the Newmars is very poorly rated. I have a local Tiffin dealer and another within 1-hour who are both highly rated for sales and service. How much should I allow this to drive m decision?
What website did you utilize to research your dealers ratings?

Thanks in advance....
Tenacvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:58 AM   #91

Newmar Owners Club
Don't let proximity to dealer drive your decision. We live in SC and purchased our Newmar in Ft Meyers Florida. I did have some warranty work that needed to be done and I decided to drive it up to the Newmar factory in Indiana. I had a great experience while at the factory. Great people and great service. Full hookups while there as well.

2018 King Aire
2018 Equinox toad
Zarbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:45 PM   #92

Tiffin Owners Club
Tenacvols - I used internet searches to review ratings and comments on both of my local dealers. Reviews and ratings were from various sources. I also visited both dealers multiple times, talked to their staff and visited their service areas. For me personally, the decision between the two dealers was very clear and easy to make.

2019 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 IP (On Order)
wkm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:05 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkm01 View Post
Tenacvols - I used internet searches to review ratings and comments on both of my local dealers. Reviews and ratings were from various sources. I also visited both dealers multiple times, talked to their staff and visited their service areas. For me personally, the decision between the two dealers was very clear and easy to make.
Thanks. Was there any site in particular that stood out? I’ve started with BBB for my local dealers and I’ve purchased the Motorhome ratings guide from RV.org. It was interesting to see that the RV Consumer Group ratings stated under Highway Control that the Dutch Star “tend to wander and cause some driver fatigue in windy conditions, when trucks are passing, or on uneven roads”. The Allegro Bus they said “Good handling and control characteristics under most windy conditions if properly balanced”. Both rigs were rated at 4 stars. The only Class A that received a 5 star rating from them was the Foretravel....
Tenacvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:43 PM   #94

Tiffin Owners Club
Tenacvols - I think you are doing all the right research. I also used BBB, and many different internet sites. Most internet reviews for my dealerships appeared on Yelp, trustpilot, sitejabber and more. Looked at more than 100 reviews and ratings. I did not look at the Motorhome rating guide, but it sounds informative. Again, in my case, the ratings and my visits made my selection for sales and service very easy.

2019 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 IP (On Order)
wkm01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, tiffin