Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2021, 10:33 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Question Tiffin Phaeton 40IH vs Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40M

I am preparing to buy a DP in the next month or so, and have been researching options for months.

I'm after a 2019 or 2020 used one, to get past the initial depreciation and punch list issues, but still be fairly modern. I also want to stick with 40 feet, as a compromise between space (to full-time in) and fitting in campsites.

My current preferences are the Tiffin Phaeton 40IH, and the Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40M. They both have similar layouts, with bath-and-a-half, heated tile floors, all-electric, dishwasher, sensible TV layout, etc.

The Tiffin is about $70k more expensive than the Fleetwood, which isn't a dealbreaker for me. The Tiffin does have some nice features that the Fleetwood lacks, like independent front suspension, higher basement, and flat floor all the way back. But the Fleetwood seems pretty nice too, e.g. with a tile shower.

I have walked through a Tiffin locally, but there aren't any Fleetwoods available anywhere near me (in Oregon), so it's hard to compare the quality and features only via pictures.

I'm sure either would be an excellent choice, and in this market I might not have much to choose from, but I'd appreciate any comments from people who have experienced either or both of these, to help me compare them.

I'd also welcome suggestions of other similar models with the above criteria, e.g. the Newmar Ventana 4037 seems fairly similar.
Facebook: Tiffin Allegro Bus 2016-2018 Owners group
Dejus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2021, 08:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejus View Post
I am preparing to buy a DP in the next month or so, and have been researching options for months.

I'm after a 2019 or 2020 used one, to get past the initial depreciation and punch list issues, but still be fairly modern. I also want to stick with 40 feet, as a compromise between space (to full-time in) and fitting in campsites.

My current preferences are the Tiffin Phaeton 40IH, and the Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40M. They both have similar layouts, with bath-and-a-half, heated tile floors, all-electric, dishwasher, sensible TV layout, etc.

The Tiffin is about $70k more expensive than the Fleetwood, which isn't a dealbreaker for me. The Tiffin does have some nice features that the Fleetwood lacks, like independent front suspension, higher basement, and flat floor all the way back. But the Fleetwood seems pretty nice too, e.g. with a tile shower.

I have walked through a Tiffin locally, but there aren't any Fleetwoods available anywhere near me (in Oregon), so it's hard to compare the quality and features only via pictures.

I'm sure either would be an excellent choice, and in this market I might not have much to choose from, but I'd appreciate any comments from people who have experienced either or both of these, to help me compare them.

I'd also welcome suggestions of other similar models with the above criteria, e.g. the Newmar Ventana 4037 seems fairly similar.
All things considered, if you can afford a $70k price swing one way or another get the one that is the best maintained. One advantage to fleetwood is there’s several rev group service centers around the country where with tiffin and newmar there’s only the factory. I have a newmar currently and I love it but I’m heavily eyeballing the new 2022 fleetwood bounder/southwind
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:10 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
All things considered, if you can afford a $70k price swing one way or another get the one that is the best maintained. One advantage to fleetwood is there’s several rev group service centers around the country where with tiffin and newmar there’s only the factory. I have a newmar currently and I love it but I’m heavily eyeballing the new 2022 fleetwood bounder/southwind
Not quite true at least regarding Tiffin. The OP's About Me page shows he is in OR. Tiffin has a number of authorized service centers on the west coast, one of them I believe is in Bend, OR. The others I have personally been to are:

Affordable RV, Newcastle, CA
Martin Hveem, Redding, CA
Phillip Hollingsworth RV, Lodi, CA
East Valley RV, Apache Junction, AZ
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:16 PM   #4

We have '19 Phaeton 40IH, all electric. It is just the right layout for our full timers needs. Handling is excellent with the IFS. Flat floor sold us. The raised rail construction provides lots of storage. You can look at owners section on Tiffin website to find authorized service centers. Red Bay is not the only option.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Not quite true at least regarding Tiffin. The OP's About Me page shows he is in OR. Tiffin has a number of authorized service centers on the west coast, one of them I believe is in Bend, OR. The others I have personally been to are:

Affordable RV, Newcastle, CA
Martin Hveem, Redding, CA
Phillip Hollingsworth RV, Lodi, CA
East Valley RV, Apache Junction, AZ
Well yeah, there’s plenty of “authorized” places I can take the Newmar to as well. But there’s only one actual Newmar facility.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:36 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Tiffin Phaeton 40IH is very popular. It sits between the higher end Bus model line and the other Phaeton models in that it has several very desirable Bus features. IFS, tall chassis for added storage and flat floor, and ISL9 engine with two stage engine brake.

The ISL9 is upgradable from 380hp/1050 to 450hp/1250 by Cummins with just a software change.

Many service facilities around the country for chassis and house. Plus very active online user forums with a huge amount of tribal knowledge.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:35 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Look at all the spec's between the two. I think you will see why the Tiffin is 70G more. But you really need to walk thru the Fleetwood to put your mind at rest. You will see the differences.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:49 AM   #8

The Fleetwood 40M was on our list when we first started looking for a DP. Walked thru one at MHSRVC. We we're very disappointed at the quality. Granted, this was one of the coaches they allow people to walk thru, but the overall quality didn't compare to the Tiffin or Newmar.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:34 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I switched from a great Newmar to a very nice 2009 Fleetwood when we decided to get a bigger coach. We have been delightfully surprised at the quality, but it's an older coach when they built them with care. For the model years you are looking at, I would lean towards the Tiffin!
Old 07-07-2021, 11:51 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Dejus"......First, I complement you as a new poster, you posted concisely what you wanted and your reasons for comparing the two. Many are so vague, that the post usually goes off the rails fast with a bunch of needless information.

With that said, for MANY years, the Phaeton was the number one diesel pusher on the market. There was a good reason for that, it offered a good bang for the buck. If you can swing the extra $70K, less than $40.00 a month more in a payment, I would go with the Phaeton and cut out two bottes of wine per month.

Lastly, heated floors has been one of the best options we've ever had in an RV. Always warm, with no noise.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:40 PM   #11

We had a 2016 Discovery 40G and we loved it. Yea, it might not be up to the trim level of a Tiffin ( I really am not familiar with Tiffins), but it was very reliable, nice to drive and we had a great 2 year go with it. We just could not use it enough to justify keeping it so we let it go and now have a small travel trailer with more suits our camping style.

Don't know how Fleetwood is doing these days or how well built the later models are, but we had a very good experience.

We did have a problem once with the full wall slide (it happens) and some issues with the washer (typical Whirlpool F7 error).
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 01:03 PM   #12

Fleetwood hands down . Both use mostly the same appliances. And everyone knows Tiffin quality sure isn't what it used to be . Take that extra 70 k and enjoy your life with it.
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:00 PM   #13

2019 Fleetwood LXE 40M

We almost pulled the trigger on a 2020 Fleetwood LXE 40M back in February 2020. COVID torpedoed our plan.

I was very impressed with the quality.

Here were my reasons I preferred it over others:

Raised rails that hide the ac units and have the nice integrated Girard armless awnings.

Collision avoidance

Solar panels

Tile shower

Washer/dryer location

Aqua hot

Overhead bed (not that much of plus)

Sidewall construction is all fiberglass and not fiberglass laminated plywood.

Freightliner chassis making it much easier to get parts and service vs the Tiffin Powerglide.

On the negative side

LXE only has 1 heat pump of the 3 units.
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 04:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Props2 View Post
Look at all the spec's between the two. I think you will see why the Tiffin is 70G more. But you really need to walk thru the Fleetwood to put your mind at rest. You will see the differences.
Agreed. Look at the Freightliner Chassis website and see the differences in the chassis specs between the two. If you buy a 2019 or 2020 it will most likely be on a Powerglide chassis but the specs are the same on the Powerglide and Tiffin specified Freightliner XCR. Fleetwood specified Freightliner XCM is different.
I’m not saying the Discovery is a bad coach, it’s a fine coach but there is a difference. You get to decide how to spend your money. If you get to drive both you’ll feel and see the differences.
Best of luck in your search.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, discovery, fleetwood, phaeton, tiffin