Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #1

Tiffin Phaeton vs Winnebago journey

Hello I'm new to this website but I feel I can get some useful information. We currently own a redwood by thor. We are pleased with the dynamics of this fifth wheel. It we want to expand our horizons towards a new motor home we just don't know which one for our money please help. Tiffin or Winnebago.? 42 ft.
Thnxs Captainron08
captainron08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I would probably opt for the Phaeton over the Journey... and I own a Winnie product.

Tiffin has just built such a great reputation and I really prefer their styling over Winnie.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought our Tiffin new back in 09 and absolutely love it. Tiffins customer service is awesome, if/when we trade up we will consider the Winnebago due to the full wall slides and innovative floor plans they offer but honestly we'd prefer to stick with Tiffin.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #4

Is it better to buy a new or used one when you are getting motor home we are looking for a 42 or 43 ft.
captainron08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainron08 View Post
Is it better to buy a new or used one when you are getting motor home we are looking for a 42 or 43 ft.
Probably the main thing we would do differently is we would buy used next time. Everything looked more rosy in 2007 when we purchased new but it probably would have been better for us to spend more time and find a good used rig. There are a lot of great deals out there right now.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #6

I don't understand why anyone buys new, but I'm sure glad they do. We can buy their used coaches at a fraction of the price. Plus they have worked out any bugs, and added lots of nice options. I could write a check for a new coach, but there are simply too many people buying new and then trading after a few years. The day a new coach leaves the lot, its value nosedives like you wouldn't believe.

Phaeton versus Journey?

We looked at both very closely. Almost flew across the country to buy a Phaeton, but in the end we preferred the Journey. And, it has definitely exceeded our expectations.

Truth is, either would be fine. The point of old man Tiffin providing great service is really terrific, but he is pretty old, and what happens when he goes? Is there some magic guarantee that the company will be run exactly the same?

Bottom line: buy what you want, what feels best in your gut to do.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #7

Some people like me buy new because we want something no one else has owned. Most of the used coaches we looked at smelled on the inside. Mine after 5 years still smells new and looks new on the inside. It's true once anything leaves the lot new or used you have lost money. Just get the best deal you can so it doesn't hurt to bad. I have never owned a tiffin but Tiffin owners say good things about them.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We intended to buy "slightly used" but ended up buying new. Why? The used dealers were unwilling to negotiate a good deal, perhaps due to the very limited used inventory of Tiffins at the time. We ended up paying less for a new coach then we could get on used.

Also, we got everything exactly to our specifications, we got more features than were offered in prior models (in our case a residential frig was a must & came standard starting in 09).

Finally, we were able to go watch it be built from chassis to paint... we took thousands of pictures, asked thousands of questions and saw how dedicated to quality the workers were.

It's really a personal choice but we have no regrets on our purchase decision.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
I don't understand why anyone buys new, but I'm sure glad they do. We can buy their used coaches at a fraction of the price. Plus they have worked out any bugs, and added lots of nice options. I could write a check for a new coach, but there are simply too many people buying new and then trading after a few years. The day a new coach leaves the lot, its value nosedives like you wouldn't believe.

Phaeton versus Journey?

We looked at both very closely. Almost flew across the country to buy a Phaeton, but in the end we preferred the Journey. And, it has definitely exceeded our expectations.

Truth is, either would be fine. The point of old man Tiffin providing great service is really terrific, but he is pretty old, and what happens when he goes? Is there some magic guarantee that the company will be run exactly the same?

Bottom line: buy what you want, what feels best in your gut to do.
Hehehe... "Old Man Tiffin" isn't THAT old... and the one thing about the company is that it's family owned.. so when he "goes", the sons will most likely continue in the same tradition. Personally, the Winne's show nicley but I personally like the quality of the real wood cabinetry in the Tiffins that most ther coaches don't have. There's a reason Tiffin has the top 3 DP's in the nation...compare them closely and you'll understand..
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #10

I'm in the "why buy new" camp. For what you are about to spend on a new Tiffin or Winnie you could have a top of the line Anything. The guy parked next to me is sitting in an 07 CC Affinity 730 which cost him less than what your thinking of spending.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
New is ok if you can get a good discount, other wise it's like buying a new car and taking a big hit when you drive it off the lot. New is some cases means having to make several trips back the dealer to get things gone wrong fixed. Used I like best as the break in for most adjustments and repairs are over with and the money saved from buying new can easily pay for any parts a used one might require.

Our last 3 motorhomes have been Winnebago products since 1998. The first two were bought used and very few problems, what there were I bought parts and made the needed repairs. The third MH was bought new and just to many trips to the dealer for repairs during the warranty period. Winnebago trying to blame us for some of the repairs (like the rust around the bay doors and them blaming us saying we had drive on salted roads) Truth is it had never seen a salted road with us driving it. Oh then the TV had problems and Winnie, you must have driven on some very bad roads. I don't need the Winnie hassle so Tiffin is high on the list for the next one and Winne is not even on the list.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #12

which motorhome

I bought a new 2011 Thor Tuscany 42RQ in 11/2011.
We love the coach. It is laid out perfect for us.
We got such a good buy that the used ones were higher then what we paid.
I was very flexible about where I bought the coach so that allowed me to negotiate with dealers all over the country.
We searched for over a year and finally narrowed it down to the Tuscany and then went shopping.
We have been on the road since 12/2011 and are loving it.
We have had to work out new coach bugs but Thor has been extremely helpful.

Good luck in your search.

John
flbluerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #13

I try and stay out of posting negative posts but I believe in hearing a balance. I sold my 2009 Allegro Bus due to it being in service for over three months to fix over 100 thing's in the first eighteen months of owning it. Tiffin has had huge structural problems recently resulting in owners having to take their coach to Redbay to fix them.

Spend some time at: tiffinrvnetwork.com and learn about what is going on. Do some historical searches for : roof radius cracks, sagging roofs, wet bay rotting, overweight front axles, etc....

I think Tiffin has great customer service, they are known to back up their warranty better than anyone etc. but before deciding to buy one know the what you are possible getting into.

Adam
Old 04-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #14

CaptRon08 - We bought a absolutely beautiful used high end coach 2 1/2 years ago at maybe 1/2 what you are going to spend for a new one. And our motor home has very high end stuff you would never get in the new ones you are looking at. Was that the right way to go with hindsight? Absolutely, our budget was not as high as you are going to spend and we got a coach that likely drives better than what you are going to get in a new one. It was a PIA getting all the stuff fixed on our coach though. The PO was a formerly rich guy who was now broke. He did not fix anything.

If I were going to buy new in the price range you are looking I would start with Entegra and Newmar, IMHO the nicest of the mid priced coaches. Make sure if you go with Tiffin you do not get one of these problem ones that posters talk about on this forum all the time. But all makers has issues. One of my best friends spent two years getting a Dutch Star to run right that he bought new in 2006.

If I were going to buy a 42' coach today I would get another used one.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote