Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2019, 10:47 PM   #1

Question Tiffin vs Newmar

Hello all, I’m sure this will open a can of worms discussion, but we value all opinions.
After over a year of searching and deliberating we have narrowed our search to a shorter (& therefore gas powered) nicely built class A. We are attracted to the floor plan (& 30’ length) of the Newmar Baystar 3005, but also like the amenities and extras offered in the Tiffin 32SA.
Prices for either coach are coming in close to the same (when considering a ‘19 Tiffin and a new ‘20 Baystar). It appears that you get more “creature comforts with the Tiffin, but I’m told the build quality (something very important to us) of the Newmar is superior.
Just for a matter of discussion....what do you think?...a 2019 Open Road32SA, or a 2020 (direct from the factory) Baystar 3005? All views and opinions (educated preferred) are valued.
Thanks for your help
kdstarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2019, 11:31 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Both make great motorhomes. The liquid spring option on the Tiffin would tip the balance in their favor, IMHO.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:36 AM   #3

If buying new, you may want to consider which factory you are closest to. It could make get repairs under warranty a lot easier. Or, consider location and service repair quality of the dealership. I think both companies produce high quality gas motor homes.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:51 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We own a Newmar, or best friends have a Tiffin. IMHO the differences between the two are minuscule. The answer would be which floor plan does the wife like the best, and for me access to quality repair facility. Price, book value all being equal.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
You will be happy with either one that fits your needs. Our choice came down to the same two brands on our first DP and went with Tiffin due to dealer accessibility and layout. We have been very happy with both of our Tiffins.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #6

If you are looking at gas units, take a look at the Canyon Star from Newmar. I'm not sure of the sizes offered, but the CS is a slightly higher line than the BS.

YMMV

Tom
Old 09-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I have to lean to Tiffin, Coaches are very similar in build and quality and the aftermarket service with Tiffin cannot be beat.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #8

Comfort Steer in Newmar is a big plus and if you will be using in colder temperatures (below 45) Newmar is much better insulated.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadDad View Post
Comfort Steer in Newmar is a big plus and if you will be using in colder temperatures (below 45) Newmar is much better insulated.
I thought comfort steer was only on diesel pusher models. As for insulation, I've been in below 20 degree weather in our Tiffin and been very toasty and comfortable.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:19 PM   #10

Comfort Steer is only available in the diesel line up for Newmar.

Liquid Springs are a nice Tiffin option, but it costs 14K. It can be added after the fact on any coach and I’ve heard costs are around 15K in the after market.

As for preference between the two it’s hard to say. We liked both, but bought a Newmar as we felt the fit and finish between the two we looked at was better. The dealer was also a factor and we felt our local Newmar dealer was better equipped and staffed.

On either model I’d make sure you get at least the 24k chassis with the 22.5” wheels. The platform will be better suited for either coach.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar2856 View Post
Comfort Steer is only available in the diesel line up for Newmar.

Liquid Springs are a nice Tiffin option, but it costs 14K. It can be added after the fact on any coach and I’ve heard costs are around 15K in the after market.

As for preference between the two it’s hard to say. We liked both, but bought a Newmar as we felt the fit and finish between the two we looked at was better. The dealer was also a factor and we felt our local Newmar dealer was better equipped and staffed.

On either model I’d make sure you get at least the 24k chassis with the 22.5” wheels. The platform will be better suited for either coach.
Our 3124 Bay Star is on the 22k chassis and also has the 22.5 wheels although slightly narrower tires than the 24k. We wanted a rig no bigger than 32'. I agree that either brand is a good pick as long as you like the floor plan. We are lucky enough to have an excellent private RV service center in the city where we live. Newmar authorizes them to conduct the small amount of warranty work we had to have done.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdstarman View Post
Hello all, I’m sure this will open a can of worms discussion, but we value all opinions.
After over a year of searching and deliberating we have narrowed our search to a shorter (& therefore gas powered) nicely built class A. We are attracted to the floor plan (& 30’ length) of the Newmar Baystar 3005, but also like the amenities and extras offered in the Tiffin 32SA.
Prices for either coach are coming in close to the same (when considering a ‘19 Tiffin and a new ‘20 Baystar). It appears that you get more “creature comforts with the Tiffin, but I’m told the build quality (something very important to us) of the Newmar is superior.
Just for a matter of discussion....what do you think?...a 2019 Open Road32SA, or a 2020 (direct from the factory) Baystar 3005? All views and opinions (educated preferred) are valued.
Thanks for your help
The 32SA is 34' long isn't it? I have not checked the true specs on the Bay Star you mention but I am guessing that it is actually about 31' in length. Sounds like two quite different floor plans.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:01 PM   #13

We own a 2019 Tiffin 32SA and have had it for 6 months now. It is 35' long vs the BayStar at 31' long. Tiffin makes a quality product from paint, to fit and finish. The woodwork is great and the detail work is very obvious that these guys know what they are doing. We have had only a few minor warranty items that were resolved at out local Tiffin dealers with no questions asked. The layout on the 32SA is what really sold us as we just did not se anything else that offered the openness and brightness the 32SA offers. As to the Newmar - you really can't go wrong with that brand either, I think. Between the two builds, I think it comes down to layout, length and price to make a decision. My only squawk about my unit is the F53 chassis (we have the 24K) and the handling / suspension upgrades needed to make for (what we consider) a more comfortable and safer ride. As to the Liquid Springs option - Tiffin was not offering it on the 32SA in their brochures. It can be done aftermarket for about $15K.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:24 PM   #14

Also take some time to list what is important to you. As an example. I think Tiffin excels in the paint department, but I feel Newmar's interior cabinetry is superior. Also consider well cared for pre-owned units which will allow you to get more coach for your money and avoid the typical first year bugs.

Tags
newmar, tiffin