Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tiffin's Lack of Customer service.

I am new to the forms and blogs, but I am interested in waging a media education on Tiffin Motorhomes.
I have already found one lawsuit against them:
Document 32 :: Wade et al v. Tiffin Motorhomes, Inc. :: 5:2005cv01458 :: New York Northern District Court :: US Federal District Courts Cases :: Justia

Here is my story:
2008 Allegro Bus, bought 2nd owner in 2010, since then I have had multiple issues with the RV, mainly have been stranded on road and towed twice in a row, within 2 months time, spent 15 hours driving back and forth to get coach fixed and 9 nights in hotel room. Tiffin showed absolutely no interest in helping resolve, even though the reason we bought their product was the advertising they do on taking care of their customers and helping if they have problems. Bob Tiffin emailed me and told me no warrenty conveyed, even though the dealer who sold it to us said it did. He said it was the suppliers that Tiffin use's fault. They are totally in breach of a implied warranty they are advertising. We have replaced A/C, step motor, totally rebuilt eng., electrical problems, tv braket problems, both window wiper arms have broken off at different times. Heat pump went out, light switches getting hot, dishwasher door fell off, generator breaker throwing, service eng light keeps coming on for no reason, eng getting hot for no reason, check eng. coolant light comes on for no reason. Electrical problems in main box. Blown oil pan gasket blew oil all over coach and tow rig. I will lose thousands of dollars but will trade for another brand.
Any help out there?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter56 View Post
I am new to the forms and blogs, but I am interested in waging a media education on Tiffin Motorhomes.
I have already found one lawsuit against them:
Document 32 :: Wade et al v. Tiffin Motorhomes, Inc. :: 5:2005cv01458 :: New York Northern District Court :: US Federal District Courts Cases :: Justia

Here is my story:
2008 Allegro Bus, bought 2nd owner in 2010, since then I have had multiple issues with the RV, mainly have been stranded on road and towed twice in a row, within 2 months time, spent 15 hours driving back and forth to get coach fixed and 9 nights in hotel room. Tiffin showed absolutely no interest in helping resolve, even though the reason we bought their product was the advertising they do on taking care of their customers and helping if they have problems. Bob Tiffin emailed me and told me no warrenty conveyed, even though the dealer who sold it to us said it did. He said it was the suppliers that Tiffin use's fault. They are totally in breach of a implied warranty they are advertising. We have replaced A/C, step motor, totally rebuilt eng., electrical problems, tv braket problems, both window wiper arms have broken off at different times. Heat pump went out, light switches getting hot, dishwasher door fell off, generator breaker throwing, service eng light keeps coming on for no reason, eng getting hot for no reason, check eng. coolant light comes on for no reason. Electrical problems in main box. Blown oil pan gasket blew oil all over coach and tow rig. I will lose thousands of dollars but will trade for another brand.
Any help out there?
Welcome Cutter to IRV2.

Sorry to hear of your issues but somehow I'm a little surprised at all of those issues.
Not doubting you, but up until I read your post, I have never known Bob Tiffin to send anyone an email. He does not have a computer on his desk nor ever logged into one. I have sat in his office and can attest to that.

I can say with a certain level of assurance that if you call him or stop in to see him, he will make time to see and or hear you out. If you have not done so yet, I urge you to. Calling or writing his secretary is usually the best method to reach him. He WILL call you back.

As far as chassis and or engine issues, you did not mention which brand of either that you own. Dailing 1-800-FTL-HELP for freightliner issues as always worked for me and many others that I have spoken with over the years. Cummins and or Cat provides the same type service. Is your chassis and engine out of warranty as well? Neither is covered by Tiffin nor any other brand RV.

I'm not sure if you are in a position to travel to Red Bay or not, but I truely believe if one were to walk into Bob's office, they would leave with a certain plan of corrections.

If that is not possible, Mr. Tiffin does travel extensively and is always willing to set down and discuss his products with his customers. I think I read that he will be in attendance at the upcoming IRV2 national rally.

I will not post any phone numbers here but if you have the urge or desire please try calling Tiffin Motor Company and ask to speak to Mr. Bob Tiffin. I think you will be pleasently surprised.

Please let us all know how you make out.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Bob Tiffin does not use email!!!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #4

hmmm I have been looking for an 08 bus but this scares the begeebers out of me
Old 07-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #5

I'm sorry , but this sounds rather like another poster who was cheesed off because Tiffin wouldn't fix their 8 year old couch for free... so I'm VERY sceptical..Bob Tiffin doesn't do email. So there's a glaring deficiency in the story right off the bat.... but I digress. The first thing is, a used coach is a used coach. The factory warranty is for the ORIGINAL purchaser, not subsequent owners. So everything on or in the coach has no warranty, unless you purchased an extended warranty. IF, and this is a BIG IF.... there was any remaining warranty on the CHASSIS and drivetrain, that should have been transferred. And again, if you purchased an extended warranty, it should have covered most of, if not all the items. Now...that all being said... Tiffin does NOT manufacture the chassis, and is in NO WAY responsible for the chassis, even if it is under factory warranty from the manufacturer ( Ford, Workhorse,Freightliner ) It is the chassis manufacturers issue. And again, if its out of warranty, it's YOUR responsibility. Which chassis do you have ? If you're still having engine problems after a total overhaul, then it needs to be corrected by the repair facility that did the rebuild....again, it's NOT TIFFIN'S PROBLEM. Look through your paperwork you signed at your dealership. You signed a statement that the used coach was sold to you "AS IS" and that makes YOU responsible for any repairs at the date of delivery. Its federal law that these are signed when a used vehicle is purchased. I might at this point tell you, that I have worked for RV dealers for over 20 years, and most recently in finance, title and registration. SO..... before you go off badmouthing someone in frustration, take a deep breath and be willing to give more facts and do your homework before you start threatening to sue.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I don't own a Tiffin coach and never have but I have to side with Tiffin. Your statement "the reason we bought their product was the advertising they do on taking care of their customers" makes me wonder if you feel you are a Tiffin customer. You are a Tiffin owner not a customer. You purchased your coach second hand from a dealer who if any warranty was implied is the one responsible for that warranty. Many of the problems you have had may or may not be covered by the warranty provided by the manufacturers of the specific products involved although many manufacturers do not transfer warranties to second owners.
You purchased a 2 year old second hand coach. Right on the Tiffin web site it states "Tiffin Motor Homes, Inc. Limited Warranty is one (1) year or 12,000 miles, whichever comes FIRST, to the original purchaser only.".
The coach may really be a lemon and that is why the original owner dumped it but in your case, I think that you may have been negligent in checking out the coach when you originally purchased it. I find it odd that you slam the builder but failed to mention anything about the selling dealer.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
hmmm I have been looking for an 08 bus but this scares the begeebers out of me
Don't be alarmed.... there's more to this story than is being told, I guarantee. Tiffin builds a fine coach, and takes care of his customers.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy40 View Post
Don't be alarmed.... there's more to this story than is being told, I guarantee. Tiffin builds a fine coach, and takes care of his customers.
Agreed. We have friends who purchased a used Allegro Bus then took it to the factory to have it updated and set up the the way they wanted it to be. Of course they did not expect Tiffin to do the work for free. They are prime examples of what satisfied customers are.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #9

That's more like the story you hear about Tiffin. I work for a Tiffin dealer, so I'm around their customers on a daily basis. One guy has been buying them since they started producing motorhomes....we've sold him 3. THAT says ALOT for a manufacturer when you have customers like that.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
You have an '08 coach which was probably built sometime in '07, you are the second owner and you want the factory to warrant it? I think you have been in the kool aid. Get a grip, it is a used coach and somewhere along the line the manufacturer has to say "enough".
Old 07-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No lack of customer service here, it's a lack of understanding on the OP's part. Second owner of a used vehicle that's four years old. Warranty is for TWO YEARS to the ORIGINAL OWNER, neither of which applies.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy40 View Post
there's more to this story than is being told, I guarantee. Tiffin builds a fine coach, and takes care of his customers.
I agree, there is more to the story.... But, I think they build an average coach - they have their issues like any manufacturer.

If the OP opened his conversations with Tiffin like he did here (talking about lawsuits) I can see why they would ignore him.

Tiffin is well known for providing free or reduced services well after the warranty expires, be you the original purchaser or owner number 12. All they have ever asked is that you bring it to them in Red Bay Alabama.

While the economic crises caused many companies to close, Tiffin remained open, even when they were down to building only a couple of coaches a week. But they. like everyone else has had to tighten their belts. They are looking at some out of warranty issues and asking for larger payments than in the past. Now, if you go to the factory for anything other than warranty work they charge you to stay there ($10 a night I think).

But, on ot the facts:

The OP does not say why it stranded him twice, most probably an issue with the chassis rather then a true Tiffin issue.

I don't think Bob can spell computer.

The written warranty is 12/12 to the original owner only.

For anyone who is nervous, check out the Tiffin RV Network (TVRN). They are one of the most active owners groups who have no affiliation with the manufacturer. While Tiffin may have it's warts, I think this may not be one of those times!
Old 07-28-2012, 06:03 AM   #13

I'm sorry but I have to agree with bdpreece's post, I can promise you there are lemons made by EVERY manufacturer. It sounds like the original owner did not keep it up and dumped it to save money.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #14

So this bus is out there ; would anyone here consider buying it knowing the little that we know of its history????

Tags
service