Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tile Floor Removal

Thought I'd pass on a tip I discovered on removing Ceramic Tile from a Class A. Mine's a DP. I watched all the You-tube videos on removal but after four hours I found the best way.

I rented a Bosch 1-in 7.5-Amp Keyless Rotary Hammer and bought a tile chisel bit (2" width). I found that if you hit each tile about nine times with a large hammer (3 rows of three to cover the entire surface) and then use the hammer drill chisel at a 45 to 30 degree angle, its comes up fast (in little pieces but fast). None of the videos showed that. Also if some thinset does not come up just angle the hammer drill at a 50 degree plus angle and its pops off.

Hope this helps someone.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #2

Tile removal

I took up all the tile in my 94 Monaco. I found that they had in that year, not used thin set but some other kind of glue. Some of the tile were loose, several had cracks, and I couldn't find more, and couldn't find a complementary tile that would go with what I had, so removal became necessary.

Anyway at first I tried chiseling them but got lots of pieces. It was really slow and work intensive. Down on my knees lots of really sharp pieces.

Then I discovered that I could take a heat gun and get the tile up to probably 140 or a bit hotter. I could gently pry and those complete tiles and would just lift up. That made the job go really easy.

On a separate note, I have found in owning rentals, a heat gun will soften contact cement and you can put a flat bar under the Formica and lift it as you apply heat to that as well. Heat also softens many of the vinyl glues as well. I always give heat a try when stripping things off.
heat gun don't leave home with out it.

Loren
Old 10-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When I was back at the Fleetwood service in Decatur, I had a couple of cracked tiles repaired. They used a heat plate that was roughly the same size as the tile. They would leave it on the tile for a couple of minutes, and then the tile would just pop right off without any mess or dust. It was pretty neat to watch, an it seemed very effective.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
leave the windows open and a fan going the off gassing can be nasty
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
When I was back at the Fleetwood service in Decatur, I had a couple of cracked tiles repaired. They used a heat plate that was roughly the same size as the tile. They would leave it on the tile for a couple of minutes, and then the tile would just pop right off without any mess or dust. It was pretty neat to watch, an it seemed very effective.
That is good to know. I hope I don't face this problem again. I just remembered that when I was working on one tile I would put a regular clothes iron on the next tile I intended to work on. Look like I should have had two irons and maybe would be closer to what you saw.

Loren

Tags
removal