RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2020, 12:37 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Tiling floor

Searched the forums and found a billion posts on tiling. After much research I have a few questions.

We currently have a partial tile (ceramic or porcelain) and partial carpet floor.

The carpet has had it and we want to go with full tile.

Pulled up a bit of carpet adjacent to the current tile and it appears to be lain right on the plywood subfloor with thinset. No backerboard or uncoupling membrane. Since it is 16 years old and no cracks yet I am not too worried about flexing and cracking. The floor appears to be 2 layers of 3/4" marine grade plywood.

We are not removing / replacing the existing tile.

My questions , for those who have done this, are:

Do I use normal (sticks and bricks) thinset to lay the tile or some other polymer based adhesive? Same for the grout.

Probing under the current tile the adhesive is brittle and gritty.

2004 Travel Supreme Select 45DSO4
Towing 2018 Ford Flex 4 down
Jarhead 67-71
Airboss68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #2

You could go with just S&B Thin set but I would add the latex additive to it. It adds a lot of add a lot. I have removed tile with regular thin set had no problem and have removed tile with the additive major pain. Jmtc
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:06 PM   #3

We had the dealer do the same thing to our new 2003 40' Phaeton before we picked it up. He had a carpet/tile layer come in for the job. We ended up with a vinyl floor for the living/kitchen area. Eight years later, when we traded it back to the same dealer, the only mark was from a roller under the slide out.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:26 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Depending on how much you intend to add, I would watch how much weight you're going to add to the coach and structure.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:08 PM   #5

I have a 2000 American Eagle and a couple of years ago decided to remove the carpet and replace with tile. The existing tile had performed well so I wanted to use the same type of tile and installed porcelain tile.

I used Uniflex 916 made by C-cure to set the tile. Was advised by a good source that this is what was used when the coach was manufactured. After a couple of years we have not had any problems. Expensive and time-consuming but has performed flawlessly.

I am sure they are other products out there but leveling a motorhome and potholes puts unique stress on the floors. I was reluctant to use thinset.

It you elect to use this pm me and I will share my experience and provide some things to consider.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2016 View Post

I used Uniflex 916 made by C-cure to set the tile. Was advised by a good source that this is what was used when the coach was manufactured. After a couple of years we have not had any problems. Expensive and time-consuming but has performed flawlessly.
A second thumbs-up for Uniflex 916. It was the industry standard for a while but I think many OEMs have shifted to less expensive products. Basically, you want a high quality commercial grade thinset with a LOT of polymer additive. I am concerned that even the "premium" material from Home Depot with the latex admixture will still be a step below what you need to keep up with the way a coach floor flexes.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:15 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not sure if you have a Floor & Decor next to you, but they have a great selection and can offer some great recommendations. They helped me with a mortar selection for my newly installed backsplash.

BTW - be sure to use unsanded grout. It is more flexible.
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:54 PM   #8

Doing the same thing with my coach updating the Old ceramic tile to Porcelain 12 x 24 buying all my supplies at Floor and Decor. Would also like to install a floor heating system but still thinking. They Highly recommend using the Mapei Ultraflex LFT thinset. Check out the link I am providing, search RV flooring and finishes and watch the video. Well done and a lot of info. Get your mind ready with the correct steps and notice the joints are 1/8" nothing larger for big tile.

https://daveandljs.com/rv-flooring-and-finishes/
Old 08-14-2020, 09:46 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Thanks for all the input, this is exactly the info I was looking for.
As always the forum comes through.

2004 Travel Supreme Select 45DSO4
Towing 2018 Ford Flex 4 down
Jarhead 67-71
Airboss68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5016 View Post
BTW - be sure to use unsanded grout. It is more flexible.
I don't know that I would agree with that. Unsanded grout should be used for 1) grout joints smaller than 1/8" and 2) polished tile that would be scratched by sanded grout. But, unsanded grout will crack out just like sanded grout when the substrate flexes.

For a floor that is going to experience the flex associated with an RV floor, I would suggest one of the newer high performance grouts like TEC Power Grout or Laticrete Permacolor. These grouts will not scratch polished tile (since they don't contain any sand) and will clean as well as epoxy grout (though they don't have the heat resistance of epoxy). They are more expensive, but it is money well spent.
Ivygreen65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor