Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2017, 03:54 PM   #1

Time For New Roof Peel & Seal?

Thank you for checking my post. We have some down time while in Arizona and I am going through our rig fixing odds and ends. During our summer in Alaska a small leak began in our fantastic fan. I ran atop the RV and put some Dicor on and it has been fine ever since. However, now that I have some time I am considering going through the entire roof. Any thoughts or advice on this? Pictures are included below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170105_142901.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	148378   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170105_142914.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	148379  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170105_142918.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	148380  
Chris Travels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2017, 04:28 PM   #2

eternabond it once and your done.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:33 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I agree. I'd Peel it, Eternabond it and Dicor the edges
tim.kyfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Count me as number three for taping. If you scrape the old stuff off it will make for a much better looking job. Electric heat gun to soften it up and it will scrape right off. Sealing the edges is optional. A bit of suspenders and a belt.

Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #5

I'm going to assume that is a sky light in your picture. One question. After doing such a great job of eternabonding the edges what would happen if your skylight cracks or breaks and needs to be replaced. It looks like it would be necessary to remove the eternabond to do that. Everything I have read says that it is almost impossible to remove. Any thoughts?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

No more impossible than removing lap sealant. But stick extremely well.

Personally, I would clean off, or at least smooth off, that crappy caulk, but it's a toss up whether I would use Dicor lap sealant or Eternabond tape to re-seal it. I do use Eternabond and love it, but am not convinced it is the best solution to every sealing need. IMO, vent openings are one of those where either method produces good results.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
I'm going to assume that is a sky light in your picture. One question. After doing such a great job of eternabonding the edges what would happen if your skylight cracks or breaks and needs to be replaced. It looks like it would be necessary to remove the eternabond to do that. Everything I have read says that it is almost impossible to remove. Any thoughts?
You mean like this?

A heat gun will soften the tape just like it will caulk. More work to get off but not impossible. A whole lot easier than chasing leaks in deteriorating caulking.

Cracked the sky light last summer south of Kansas City while on vacation. An incorrectly forecasted overnight thunder storm sent the awning over the coach at 4 AM. Skylight is still taped and water tight but awning replacement rails were waiting when we got home.

When I do finally replace the skylight I'll cut around all the screws first and remove them. The carefully cut along an edge of the skylight just enough to start lifting it as I cut more and removed the cracked layer. That only leaves me about an inch of tape around the edge to clean off which will probably take an hour or two.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:34 PM   #8

On Eternabond's website they say to cut the tape on the edges of a skylight, remove it, seal the new skylight as per manufacturers recommendations and put new Eternabond tape over the skylight and right over the remaining tape. We are replacing our skylight this spring and considering their recommendation over my more anal plan to remove all of the tape first.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I removed all the gunk off ours but the skylights were no good, the originals. So I heat gunned every thing and peeled it all off. At that
time Tom and I resealed the whole roof, we removed everything before
doing so, AC's and all. Then I put on all new skylights, new screws and
resealed and retaped. We also added the elevated covers for the fans, fantastic fan sent me new plastic covers free of charge, I mean they had lasted over 20 years with nothing over them so even those were new. Been about 5 years now and we have had to seal a couple of places. Hubby says time to relook it now and see what it needs come summer.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, seal