Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2021, 08:25 AM   #1

Time to Change the Oil - Where is the Best Oil for the Money

Time to Change the Oil - Where is the Best Oil for the Money, ???

Simple, Sure many of you have already got your oil ...... - BUT - many of us only keep one oil change on the Self.

Over the years you all have clued me into some great Savings - so is it - Shell Rotella T4 Triple Protection 15W-40 or has Kirkland slipped into the Market - Kirkland Signature Heavy Duty Diesel 15W-40 Motor Oil.

Just a couple thoughts.

So who knows where the sales are now or soon - Best price ???????

I've used Rotella for 15 - 20 + years but I also used to only Drink VO or Crown Royal - Now Kirkland Canadian has made me leave those to on the Shelf and just save the money and enjoy the Drink.

So back to the Questions
  1. Is Rotella still the Go to ????????????
  2. What are the Best prices, where is it on Sale Now????????????
  3. If you have a Fav what and How Much?????????

Remember the Questions.

Best Filter Outlet - the Bonus Question?

TIA,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2021, 08:43 AM   #2

I doubt that Costco is refining their own oil, just re-branding something else. The big question is the oil specification (additives); is the lower price from large bulk purchase of a good oil, or lessor specification at lower cost?. Are the traditional brands still better, or does perception lag reality?

Browse here, but maybe too old to include Kirkland oil.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/gas-truck-q-a/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post

Simple, Sure many of you have already got your oil ...... - BUT - many of us only keep one oil change on the Self.

Over the years you all have clued me into some great Savings - so is it - Shell Rotella T4 Triple Protection 15W-40 or has Kirkland slipped into the Market - Kirkland Signature Heavy Duty Diesel 15W-40 Motor Oil.

Just a couple thoughts.

I've used Rotella for 15 - 20 + years but I also used to only Drink VO or Crown Royal - Now Kirkland Canadian has made me leave those to on the Shelf and just save the money and enjoy the Drink.

So back to the Questions

Remember the Questions.

TIA,
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:47 AM   #3

Sam's club /Walmart 15w40 this is where i see the lowest prices.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:41 AM   #4

Quote:

Just a couple thoughts.

So back to the Questions

Remember the Questions.

TIA,

Well,
The thing is, there's at least a 1/2 dozen brands of decent oil for the diesels in our coaches. In the fire department we used Delo 400 for years and years. I figured if that oil was good enough for the seriously harsh treatment of fire truck engines, then my motorhome CAT C-7 330HP would survive quite well on it too. I used it for several years. Then, Sams Club had a decent sale on Shell Rotella T-4 15W-40 one day and, I picked up enough for the change. In my engine, I use 19 quarts total, filter and all.

I've now ran that Shell Rotella for about 3 years and about 20K miles or so and the engine is purring along as usual. I now buy it at Walmart simply because, Walmart is SERIOUSLY closer than the closest Sams Club. The distance driven to obtain engine oil, just because it's at a bit of a discount price, is to me, non-warranted due to the cost of gas, just to go get that oil.

Besides, I only change it once or twice a year so, Walmart's gonna work for me.
Scott

P.S. I had Amazon deliver all my filters right to my door so, that saves a bit too.
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:

Just a couple thoughts.

So back to the Questions

Remember the Questions.

TIA,
This is what I've found on line - Rotella from WalMart is $12.47/gal - Kirkland 3 gal buy - is $11.00/gal is made by the same Distributer as Wal Mart - Super Tech - $10.00/gal and 6 gal buy - I can get free delivery from WalMart or get it with Pick up so the 7 gallons needed would be $70.00 + Tax to $87.29 + Tax - Unless I buy in Delaware when I get my Kirkland Canadian - all Tax FREE (6%)

Now with Filters - Amazon best $29.99 free delivery - ebay $44.00 - Wal Mart - $44.20

For my ISL 400 -

Keep the idea's Coming - and the Suggestions -
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:49 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Plenty of top brands for diesel oils, and several more private labels that have the same specs and are reliably good. I usually bought Rotella T4 at Sam's Club because the price was nearly as good as off-brands and I change it yearly regardless of mileage. I've also used Tractor Supply's private label 15W40, which also meets or exceeds my engine oil specs, and Chevron Delo. Both of those are on sale fairly often in my area.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Sometimes you just have to shop. I always use Shell Rotella in the motor home and Onan generator. I typically buy the 2.5 gallon jugs at Walmart, as it's convenient. Last time, they only had a 5 gallon tub. The guy said they were not suppose to get the tubs, too big for the shelf, but I could buy it. I asked him to check the price. It came up $14.00. I told him that the price was obviously wrong.....he told me he didn't care.

The time prior to that, Tractor Supply was offering a $20.00 rebate on Rotella, that was a good deal too.

Soooo......I look around, but typically just go to Walmart.

When it comes to filters, I only buy what the manufacturer recommends. My air and fuel I get at Freightliner.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:24 PM   #8

Not sure if it's the best but I have used Chevron Delo for years, ordered from Wal Mart last time out, they delivered next day.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:43 PM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
It's not just oil but also getting a sub job. I that my RV to Speedco. Easy in and out and they also have Rotella.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:47 PM   #10

For a few dollars more you can get Shell T-5 semi synthetic or T-6 full synthetic.
diesel odor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:37 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel odor View Post
For a few dollars more you can get Shell T-5 semi synthetic or T-6 full synthetic.
From someone who changes every year in late October or early November regardless of miles, why would you recommend a synthetic?

I used to buy Rotella T in 55 galon barrels for $300 at Sam’s. Looks like it’s 2X that today...$12/gallon.

And to stir the pot, I oil sampled when I changed in our new rig at 15K miles. Based on the results I’ll sample at 15K and then probably change at 20K if the results look good... probably in 3 years.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:21 PM   #12

I keep an open eye for Rotella when it goes on sale at Walmarts. Buy it at the sale price whether you need it, or not and save it.
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:47 PM   #13

Canadian Tire , this weeks flyer ; T-4 ; $64.99 CD a five US gallon pail , 1 qt more than what my Cat holds. ( $51.35 USD )

I know ,this info isn't much use to my American friends .
Old 02-20-2021, 10:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Not sure if it's the best but I have used Chevron Delo for years, ordered from Wal Mart last time out, they delivered next day.
Yep Delo 15w40 used in my ford since 2002 and in mh for 4 years good enough for me

Tags
money