Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #1

Smile time to change tires?

I ve had the same tires on my 36ft gas rv scince 2004 is it tiem to change? they look fine
ichybackfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I suspect I'm just the first that will recommend replacement after 7 years. IF the coach has ALWAYS been parked inside, out of the elements, except for the occasional weekend outing or week of vacation, you might get another year or two, but...
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #3

Just checked my maintenance records and found I changed my tires out at 7 years and they also looked good.

I consider tires to be the weakest link between my coach and the pavement. I don't believe in pushing my luck.

Personally I wouldn't want to take a chance of a tire failure with a 7 year old tire.

Best of Luck...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
paz

Michelin says to replace tires after 10 years no matter how good they look. After 6 or 7 years, the age is getting up there, and they should be inspected by a qualified tire technician. The inspection should include breaking the tires down to look at the inside as well as the outside. Most people don't go to all that bother and just replace them around 6 or 7 years of age - or sooner if they are showing signs of excessive wear or cracking. Better safe than sorry.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ichybackfat,
Welcome to iRV2. There is not enough information in the OP to make a valid response. Could you tell us:
1. Average mileage per year?
2. Stored on what surface?
3. Stored with tires covered?
4. Are the tires kept clean?
5. Are the tires kept dressed with the tire dressing of your choice?
6. Any cracks in the side walls?
7. Tread depth still on tire?
8. Brand of the tires?
9. Tires ever been over loaded?
10. Tires ever been under water for a significant length of time?

If you could provide answers to these questions it would help in at least my answer.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Add my vote to those above. My coach is a 2007 and I'm planning on replacing my Michelins after 7 years.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Michelin says to replace tires after 10 years no matter how good they look. After 6 or 7 years, the age is getting up there, and they should be inspected by a qualified tire technician. The inspection should include breaking the tires down to look at the inside as well as the outside. Most people don't go to all that bother and just replace them around 6 or 7 years of age - or sooner if they are showing signs of excessive wear or cracking. Better safe than sorry.
For my information, what is a "qualified" tire technician and do you identify one?

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2003--mine look fine as well--which is not an answer--just that we share a similar decision.

It is an age old dilema, wanting full value a out of what you have, and operating in a manner that is safe. These are not in conflict---safety trumps thrift, but they are not necessarily mutually exclusive either.

This is probably the most comment engendering issue on this forum---tires. Getting an answer is bound to frustrate you---there is not a definative answer to "what you should do" except use your best judgement. LIsten and learn as best you can and talk to more than one "expert".

What seems to be accurate about RV tires is:

The older the tire the more likely to fail no matter how they look. Common sense.

Their "suspense" date has a lot to do with how they were treated while on the rig.

Improper tire pressure under and over and improper load shorten the prospective life of a tire dramitically and are causes for catastrophic tire failure.

Pot holes and curbs etc; can inflict serious wounds on tires that are not visable.

The longer a tire sits while on the motor home the worse it is for a tire ie; 7 years old and 70,000 miles is better than the same age and 25,000 miles---tires need exercise to preform at their peak, keep the juices flowing and age prematurely without it.

Covering a tire that is not in use can preserve and extend it's life reducing direct UV impact.

Occasional washing is good for a tire. Over washing with harsh detergents and applying tire dressings not properly formulated can shorten a tire life.

People have strong brand loyalties when discussing tires. Virtually every tire manufacturer is in court somewhere defending itself against some tire failure in their brand. By the same account virtually every manufacturer has millions of miles on their tires trouble free.

For every well thought out concise opinion about tires there is an equal and opposite one meeting the same criteria.

So what to do? Only you know the facts about your tires---how do the facts about your tires stand up against what seems to be some basic rules about tires--age, use, care, inflation etc; Do you know the entire history of your tires for sure? If so then you can make an informed decision.

It seems to me we are in the "zone" where we need to strongly consider replacing based on age alone. Some will say strongly that I am overdue. My personal experience is that I have never had any tire trouble, except a couple of nail puncture flats in my entire driving life.

In one thread I had a person explain that they simply replaced their tires in sequential order when they got to be so old. I liked the suggestion as it seems to give me, personally, the best since of full value and saftey. His suggestion helped me with my ersonal quandry. So I made my decision.

Keep in mind; I know for a fact that my tires have always been inflated properly, never been over loaded and I have cared for them gingerly---they don't just look good they look terrific and have no cracks, very smooth. I am the only owner of these tires.

This year I will replace my steers. If for any reason when we look inside if even one of them looks bad for any reason I will replace all. If my old steers look good then I will replace my outside then inside duals in successive years.

I've done my best to be objective, to be helpful---but be not suprised if someone contradicts everything I just said or takes exception.

Goog luck in your decision.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #9

Parajays, I have never met a qualified tire technician at a tire store. All the do is look at the outside of the tire and tell you it is OK. This guy may have worked at a 7-11 Mini-mart store a month ago. There is too much risk in trusting somebody that you don't know anything about. You change the tire at 7 years unless it rots sooner.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It would make sense that the "best expert" is a qualified person who has no vested interest other than saftey----yours. Finding one--------?

Replacing at seven is a sure fire best method---can't argue with that.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Just changed my Michelins after only 5 years and 15000 miles. The sidewalls were cracking severely. Installed a set of Toyos with hopes for a little longer use.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi ichybackfat,
Welcome to iRV2. There is not enough information in the OP to make a valid response. Could you tell us:
8. Brand of the tires?

If you could provide answers to these questions it would help in at least my answer.
I would want to add a couple more: when was the tire manufactured. It could have been a year or more old when it was put in service. How frequently is it driven. Both Michelin and Goodyear claim it helps to flex the tires regularly to keep their "juices" active by driving.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Michelin states in their literature that if tires are maintained you can expect to get 10 years of service life. Take your rig to a Michelin dealer and have them unmount and outside rear tire and inspect the inside. Granted, its not like inspecting them all but it will give a worst case example of the rest of them. I don't believe in changing tires by the calendar but I do believe in taking care of my tires and being cautious.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi ichybackfat,
8. Brand of the tires?

Why do you not want his 6 DOT numbers?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, pace arrow, rims, tires