Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2018, 07:16 PM   #1

Tint or Awnings

I was going to install window awning on our 39' DP , but before I purchased them someone asked why not put tint on the windows? I'm hoping someone might have already researched the reason to go one way or the other
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Awning will do more then cut down light coming in through the windows. They will also shade the RV from the sun and help keep it cooler. Sometimes you have a beautiful view out the windows and you don't want to look at it through "sunglasses".
Tinting does very little to keep you cool in summer. JMHO
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:59 PM   #3
Cat

Awnings keep the heat from hitting the glass. Tint is always going to transfer some of the heat to the glass. We purchased awnings at you could see through. Don't remember who sells them but they block most of the heat and you can see the outside. Used them on our MH in Southern Arizona worked great one of the better modifications I did.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:35 PM   #4

Go camping in full sun in Florida in August. You'll learn that the answer is "both."
Old 09-07-2018, 11:21 PM   #5

I have tinted windows. Heat comes right in. Pulling the awnings down actually seems to keep the heat off the outside of the window and the coach, so much less heat transmission from what I can tell. -Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:21 AM   #6

In wind you may not be able to use your awnings. I have never had tinted windows in a MH so can't comment on them, except to say that when I bought a car in Scottsdale they told me that they automatically tint all windows before even selling the car because the climate needs it.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:21 AM   #7

Thanks for the reply's. With the thought of heat transfer it seems better for us to go with the awnings. If I did just tint then the slide between the two windows would still have a lot of heat on the slide. Thanks again for talking the time to sent responses
Old 09-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
Cat

Carefree sells the awning that you see through but blocks 80% (or something like that of the) light heat called Fullview. Safe travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
One reason we have awnings is so we can have ventilation when it rains. We also have hoods on our roof vents for that reason.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

We always had both, for the reasons others have already cited.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #11

Thanks for the continued comments and suggestions. I did fail to mention that we live in Central Florida, so we currently don't open the windows very often. Next year when we start to travel we probably would be in spots were it would be nice to open the windows and not worry about the direct sun.
CAT thanks for the Fullview suggestion. I di go to the ShadePro site and that might be the ticket.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Deep tint Dual pane windows and window awnings......(standard on our coach)...You need Both! and add a cover for your windshield while you are at it....
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:24 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My CC came with a silver reflective coating and window awnings on everything but the windows the driver need to look through.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:10 PM   #14

Shade is the better option than direct sun. Awnings provide shade. Tint does nothing to reduce heat, it reduces brightness.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning