Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
Both of the tires that blew where Michelin. It sounded like someone shot a shotgun off and believe me they weren’t taking any chances
And Janet Stevens at Michelin would say they were "Run Flat" and send you a letter and a stack of pictures, good enough for framing, showing what a "Run Flat" tire looks like.

I had two blow that were less than two years old. They damaged the right side of my truck bed so bad, it had to be replaced, along with the exhaust pipe. I checked my tire pressure before each trip. Tries that go Kaboom with over 80 PSI are not "Run Flat".

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #44

Freebird, let me help you out some more since you seem to think that " OTR truck tires wear the tread out, most RVer's tires 'age' out." in one post and "An RV's use and the reasons our tires go out of service are different than OTR trucks," in another.

You seem to be stuck on one potential difference when there are three firm similarities, hence the benefit of OTR truck experience. Again, to try to help you understand, and I don't know why you haven't understood yet, OTR's and RV's both see and have problems with road hazards. OTR's and RV's both have problems with underinflation, OTR's and RV's both have problems with aged tires. RV's with original tread and OTR's with recaps. There are three similarities where we can learn from those who drive more miles each year in their rigs than we do in our rigs. OTR's and RV's are not totally different, they are very similar on at least the three points I've shown you.

You said: "Ken, I have read many of the treads here" Let me help you with that, they are called threads. To quote you again, "I am a little surprised that you could not figure that out, but that is why this forum exists, to help each other out with useful and helpful information"

Smiley face right back at you,
Ken
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #45

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
One thing that strikes me about this thread: Most of us are not tire engineers and don't have the expertise to know what caused a tire to fail.

So in effect all you're seeing is opinions and we all know what they are worth!

For instance: can you look at a blown tire and tell if it was run 20% low on pressure (run flat condition) or if it was due to water in the tire (from using "wet" air)?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
Freebird, let me help you out some more since you seem to think that " OTR truck tires wear the tread out, most RVer's tires 'age' out." in one post and "An RV's use and the reasons our tires go out of service are different than OTR trucks," in another.

You seem to be stuck on one potential difference when there are three firm similarities, hence the benefit of OTR truck experience. Again, to try to help you understand, and I don't know why you haven't understood yet, OTR's and RV's both see and have problems with road hazards. OTR's and RV's both have problems with underinflation, OTR's and RV's both have problems with aged tires. RV's with original tread and OTR's with recaps. There are three similarities where we can learn from those who drive more miles each year in their rigs than we do in our rigs. OTR's and RV's are not totally different, they are very similar on at least the three points I've shown you.

You said: "Ken, I have read many of the treads here" Let me help you with that, they are called threads. To quote you again, "I am a little surprised that you could not figure that out, but that is why this forum exists, to help each other out with useful and helpful information"

Smiley face right back at you,
Ken
This thread is about tread plus tires that are tired. I sure have not figured this out yet, but my method is outlined in Post 37 and I welcome anyone to point out my mistakes or the errors of my ways (other than a few bad habits that I plan to keep). So we should all be happy campers, try to help each other out, and try to be as safe as we can where the tire meets the road.
Freebird - thanks for starting the post - Food for thought.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #47

I guess the thing about this thread that does bother me is knowing, and it serves as a reminder that that Cheapskate, Knothead that wouldn’t listen is the same one that just blew that old tire and is heading straight at me and my family when that old tire blows. Be fugal if you must but PLEASE remember “The life you save” may be mine.
Just a though
Ron
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #48

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdbus View Post
I have seen numerous threads on here dealing with tire dates and age. I know that some tire manufactures recommend replacement at five years from the tire's build date. Tires and the cause of tire failure can be simple or very complex, and I was wondering if anyone here has used tires for eight or ten years or more (specifically 22.5 sizing). The reason that I ask, is the recapped tire industry's use of casings that are that old, and their putting a new tread on to replace the worn out one, and putting that eight to ten year old casing back into service. If a tire had usable tread depth, were dismounted and inspected, and shows no signs of damage or weather checking, why wouldn't the original-ally treaded tire be just as safe as a retreaded one? Please try to limit responses to facts and first hand experience, not conjecture or speculation. Thank you
A big "Thank You" to the many of you who have offered your experiences and strategies for tire "keep it in-service or replace it" evaluation and management. There are numerous reasons, including financial and environmental, for my not wishing to replace otherwise useful tires prematurely. Likewise, I have no wish to compromise my or others safety by utilizing an otherwise good looking tire that by time should not be in service. For the vast majority that understand that, I thank you.
freebirdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Very useful info folks. My 2001 rig recently purchased with 18k miles has tires that look in sweet shape (bf goodrich commercial) but I'm convinced that all but one is original to the rig. The final digit of serial is a 1; one is a 5. The 1 is a bit of a head scratcher because a 2001 class c fleetwood rides on a 2000 chassis and this was the changeover year for DOT numbering. I'm not convinced that these are brand new 2011 tires, yet the 1 also doesn't make sense unless the rolling chassis (chevy) had no wheels and Fleetwood changed them. They should be "0" if original. Heading on a trip to Yellowstone and this thread provides the material with the wife on why to replace them regardless.

Here is a useful link that talks about the tire serial (dot) http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11
Old 01-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
Very useful info folks. My 2001 rig recently purchased with 18k miles has tires that look in sweet shape (bf goodrich commercial) but I'm convinced that all but one is original to the rig. The final digit of serial is a 1; one is a 5. The 1 is a bit of a head scratcher because a 2001 class c fleetwood rides on a 2000 chassis and this was the changeover year for DOT numbering. I'm not convinced that these are brand new 2011 tires, yet the 1 also doesn't make sense unless the rolling chassis (chevy) had no wheels and Fleetwood changed them. They should be "0" if original. Heading on a trip to Yellowstone and this thread provides the material with the wife on why to replace them regardless.

Here is a useful link that talks about the tire serial (dot) Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire
The thing they don't spell out that is helpful is that tires MFG after 2000 use 4 number in the date, previous there was only 3 number. So take another look at your tires and if the date code is 3 numbers they are pre 2000 and over 11 years old at the very best.