Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #1

Tire balance

Opinions or experiences with spin balance compared to bead balancing on 22.5 wheels mounted on the front.
Snapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapp View Post
Opinions or experiences with spin balance compared to bead balancing on 22.5 wheels mounted on the front.

I have had it done both ways on two different set of tires and both ways were smooth.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #3

Is there a preferred brand of bead balancing?
Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:10 PM   #4

Don't waste your $$ with tire balancing unless you have a known vibration issue while driving.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:16 PM   #5

I have used beads on the rear tires with success. On two coaches, I could not get a good enough balance on the steer tire with the beads. The spin balance worked perfectly. Those who have the Centramatic rings have been very happy.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:59 PM   #6

I have used Beads in the back, they work. I have not had great spin balance luck on my RV but most of that was the tires. I currently have Centermatics on the steer and the drive axles, I like them and prefer them to beads and spin balance.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:13 PM   #7

Commercial Member

IMO Neither "beads" nore Centermatic" would be as desirable alternative to spin balancing the front tires on the vehicle - IF YOU HAVE A RIDE PROBLEM.

Both of those methods might work after you are up to highway speed BUT that also both can mask any vibration warning of possible tire separation which sometimes can be felt as vibration before the separation grows into a tire failure.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Snapp,
First off, it's EXTREMELY RARE that a tire, ANY TIRE, of any size, can be mounted and run down the road, without SOME FORM of balancing. Some need less and some, well, need diving weights on them in order run smooth. I've been a regular "lead weight" type of balance guy for decades. I was skeptical about bead or powder etc. type balancing. Well, I thought I'd try them on my present set of tires, Yokohama 265 75 22.5" RY-103 LRG tires. And, so far, with around 6,000 or 7,000 miles on them, I'm real happy.

And I'm not one of those that SKIMPS on cost. I do ALL SIX tires. Out of balance, is out of balance, no matter what position a tire sits on, in an RV application. So, mechanical balance or beads, I can go with either one.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:13 PM   #9
PKI

More info, please. Best should be dynamic balancing with Centramatics as a backup trim mechanism. The bead balance is not to be ignored, but I really am challenged to believe it is a best practice. So, convince me .... Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:43 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've been running Centramatics for the last 7 years. At minimum, add them to the front. They work best if the tire is balanced with lead weights and then install the Centramatics. Florida Shores Truck Center has the best price and quickest shipping on Centramatics.

I disagree with the Tireman about the masking of issues. Tread separations are infrequent and can still be felt and seen, as bulges or flat spots in the tread. I'm willing to use the Centarmatics, get an exceptional ride and not worry that sometime in the next seven years, there MIGHT be a tire issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I've been running Centramatics for the last 7 years. At minimum, add them to the front. They work best if the tire is balanced with lead weights and then install the Centramatics.
Agreed. It's the best balancing solution for FTer's when you're on the road a lot. There are always nay sayers towards things that work.

There's actually a recent article here on this forum about these:
http://www.doityourselfrv.com/dynamic-tire-balancers/
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:16 PM   #12

Quote:

Centermatic and spin balance works for me

Spin balance lets the tire installer know if the tire/rim is out of round or installed wrong, if lots of weights are needed than something is wrong.
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:31 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
Centermatic and spin balance works for me

Spin balance lets the tire installer know if the tire/rim is out of round or installed wrong, if lots of weights are needed than something is wrong.
Good point....if a lot of weight is needed, as compared to other tires, have the installer break the bead and spin the tire 180 degrees. If no improvement, select another tire.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:43 AM   #14

So what happens with your balanced tire when it gets stones embedded in the threads or between tires?
?
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote