Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2021, 10:12 PM   #1

Tire balance

I have a 1998 Newmar Dutch Star after installing new tires this spring I have a slight vibration around 60 it seems to be coming from the rear only felt in the seat. I am considering Centramatic wheel Balancers looking for information from those who are using these. Thanks
dillardgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2021, 10:17 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have used centramatics since 2008. They work as advertised. Would never consider having a coach without them.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:19 PM   #3

Centramatic..i love...some shops hate them
jcdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:26 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I just put new tires on this fall. They put balance beads in all 6 tires. They work perfect and are a lot cheaper.

But a lot of people like the Centrix balancers.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Centramatics are great, but so are the beads. What's unusual is to notice any rear tire vibration at all on a diesel pusher. The dual wheels tend to cancel each other out and the massive weight dampens all vibration anyway. Many truck tire shops and owners don't even balance the rear dual wheels. If you feel anything at all from the back, I would guess either a seriously out of round tire/wheel or a mistaken notion of the source. If its badly out of round, balances may not do the trick. Get it checked.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:45 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Beads and Centramatics both will balance a wheel and tire.

Only Centramatics will add the additional heat sink for braking, and act as a dust shield for brake dust.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:55 PM   #7

Before spending any $$ on balancing, jack up each side individually and check each tire's RUN-OUT.

Can be done at any truck tire dealer in a matter of minutes. Hate to see you spend $$$ only to find out you have an egg-shaped tire.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:40 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I had a 2005 Monaco Diplomat that came with the rear tires unbalanced. At about the 30K mark, they were starting to cup. I know it wasn't the shocks as I changed them early on to Koni's. Many would have left them on, but I'm finicky about tires. I lost about 10K in mileage on them. At the price of a single 22.5 tire now days, I want to do what I can to preserve them.

It's your money, but I never understood why people would go cheap and not balance the rear tires. Sure, RV tires may last a long time because of lack of yearly mileage, but why take a chance. Why have a vibration that you end up searching for, because you didn't balance the rears.

People keep using truck tires as an example of not balancing tires.....poor example. Trucks are carrying enormous amounts of weight, the tires are changed out regularly and the tires in question usually aren't being bought and paid for by the operator.

Yes, coaches are heavy, but are somewhere in between a car and semi. Would you buy tires for your car and not balance the rears? Of course not, you'd feel an out of balance tire. Semis are so heavy, you may not, but the RV falls in between. Many of us notice a difference, I guess some may not. Again, your money.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:19 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Go back to the installer and have them remount the tires. Break the bead, rotate the tire 180 degrees and reinflate, then balance
Old 11-27-2021, 10:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I'm finicky about tires. At the price of a single 22.5 tire now days, I want to do what I can to preserve them.

I never understood why people would go cheap and not balance the rear tires. Sure, RV tires may last a long time because of lack of yearly mileage, but why take a chance. Why have a vibration that you end up searching for, because you didn't balance the rears.

People keep using truck tires as an example of not balancing tires.....poor example.

Would you buy tires for your car and not balance the rears? Of course not,
EXACTLY
Being a penny wise and a pound foolish is not a good idea when it comes to RV tires and what's involved to keep them healthy. Any tires for that matter. It has always bewildered me the money most people pay for an RV, they want everything to work right and run well, but they're always looking for cheapest way to fix, maintain or upgrade something. It's just weird and makes no sense.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:28 AM   #11

I have Centramatics on the steer wheels only. I do get very slight steering wheel vibration occasionally, so they're not perfect, but considering how hard it is to find places that can balance 22.5" tires I think they're worth it.

Tried the 14" size on one of my classic cars though and they were horrible. Took them off after one day. Not sure why the difference but I suspect they don't work as well with the higher wheel rpm of small tires at faster speeds than a motorhome typically runs. They were OK up to about 65 mph on my car.

I don't have anything on the rear tires of my motorhome and don't feel that I need it. If I had a vibration at the back I wouldn't hesitate to try Centramatics back there, but I don't.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:28 AM   #12

I bought 7 new tires 18 months ago and had them balance all the wheels the old fashioned way. They are still fine. Centramatics are nice but not needed for my coach. I always have all tires balanced no matter what I have, makes a huge difference pulling a trailer too.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:07 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Tru-Balance

Have your installer re-mount your rims using these-

https://www.tru-bal.com/solution-a

I also had a vibration at the same speed every time. All my tires were balanced including the rears. I found a set of these at our shop and gave them a try. I did the rear first and noticed an immediate improvement. Proceeded with the fronts and my vibration was totally eliminated. I'll be using them every time from now on. Hub-piloted rims don't self-center when mounted, there will always be a very small gap at the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tru- Balance.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	350151  

Tags
tire