Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2020, 07:21 AM   #1

Tire balance beads

Last spring we purchased a 36' Winnebago Journey and have really enjoyed traveling in it. When we purchased it came with brand new tires all around (as in never been on the highway). One thing that annoyed us was the fact that at any speed above 65 mph there was quite a bit of vibration and steering shimmy.

I took it to a commercial truck tire dealer for tire balance. The dealer told me there were tire balance beads in the tires and suggested it may be alignment so I had the wheels aligned. No change.

Yesterday I took it back to the dealer and had the beads removed and the front tires balanced. What a difference. I wll take it back and have the same done to the rears.

Do tire balance beads work or were mine somehow installed incorrectly?
Warrenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2020, 08:10 AM   #2

I've used beads for my last 2 motorhomes, had no issues. I also use them in the front & rear tires on my 2000 Big Dog Bulldog.

If they used an incorrect mass for the tires they won't work well.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:20 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use beads and my drive is exceptionally smooth. I suspect that there were not enough beads in your tires or you had a tire not mounted so it was centered on the wheel. In order to remove the beads the tires would have to be unmounted and then remounted. The remounting might have fixed a not centered on the wheel issue.

If there is not enough weight in the beads they can't work. Different size tires require different amount of beads.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:35 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also used beads in my last 2 motor homes. I was very happy with the installation. The installing dealer informed me that if the installer used to much bead lubrication and the lube got on the beads they would lump up and not work properly. Just a thought.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #5

Beads will usually balance the wheel/tire. However, on this set of tires, I couldn't get a good result on the steer tires. I had the dealer remove the beads, rotate the tire 180 degrees on the wheel, remount and spin balance. Now it's perfect and has been for 2 1/2 years and 25,000 miles. It's possible that I might have gotten the same result by just rotating the tire on the wheel, but knew that spin balancing would work.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

A improperly mounted wheel (off-center on the hub) would explain that and some types of wheel require careful attention to that. If not that, I suspect you either had some condition the beads couldn't correct, or an insufficient amount of them. Spin-balance with weights can counter some problems caused by bent wheels where beads cannot compensate enough. It's rare, but it happens. BTW, the opposite is also true - there are some balance problems that are more correctable with dynamic balance (beads or a Centramatic-type device) than fixed weights.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have beads in all our tires and am very happy with the performance!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:16 PM   #8

I had beads and they never worked, best way is have the tire balanced on the rim, this way they can see if the tire is mounted correctly, also use centramatic balancers with the tire balance.

https://www.centramatic.com/wheel-balance.rhtml
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:55 PM   #9

I put breads in 2 motorhomes and my pickup and wasn't happy with any of them. I finally had to have them removed from the 3500 and have them spin balanced. The shop that did it told me they stopped putting breads in anything smaller than 22.5 tires because they had so many that didn't work. My opinion is that there's not enough room for enough beads/weight in most non commercial tires for then to work properly.
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenjo View Post
Last spring we purchased a 36' Winnebago Journey and have really enjoyed traveling in it. When we purchased it came with brand new tires all around (as in never been on the highway). One thing that annoyed us was the fact that at any speed above 65 mph there was quite a bit of vibration and steering shimmy.

I took it to a commercial truck tire dealer for tire balance. The dealer told me there were tire balance beads in the tires and suggested it may be alignment so I had the wheels aligned. No change.

Yesterday I took it back to the dealer and had the beads removed and the front tires balanced. What a difference. I wll take it back and have the same done to the rears.

Do tire balance beads work or were mine somehow installed incorrectly?

Mine work just fine maybe they didn’t put the right amount for your size tires.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:18 AM   #11

For a permanent fix, check out Centramatic.com Have had them on my last 3 450s. No problem with changing tires and losing beads. Will be getting them on the MH next month.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:43 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I'm curious about the reports of beads that "didn't work" but no explanation of what or why.

From what I read in commercial/truck newsletters and ezines, most big rig tire shops and fleet garages use the beads. Seems like the problems must be few if that's the case.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #13

A proper spin balanced tire/wheel assembly is dynamic balanced. Weights are placed on the inside or outside of the wheel depending on where its needed.

Beads run right down the center of the inside of tire giving you a static balance.

You can get away with the cheap static balance in many cases but not all. The wider the tire the more dynamic balance comes into play.

https://e-quipfix.co.uk/wheel-balanc...eel-balancing/
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote