Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2017, 07:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I went to Michelin RV tire site and read through the Warranty document and searched the website. There is no mention anywhere of Tire balancing beads.

The warranty information document just says to have front end aligned and tires balanced for best performance.
I would be more concerned about Michelin's side wall cracks. To me there tires are JUNK!
Dave0559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave0559 View Post
I would be more concerned about Michelin's side wall cracks. To me there tires are JUNK!
What brand RV tires do you recommend?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
What brand RV tires do you recommend?
I bought hankook the truckers use them alot. 5 years old and no cracks. My michelin's started cracking in 2 years
Dave0559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:33 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I have them on the rear duals of my motor home. No Problems so far.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:53 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jks View Post
Example:
Bridgestone / Firestone: Tires with sealant, balance, or other filler material that was not originally applied or inserted by the tire manufacturer.
See page 32
https://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/BSFS1.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
It's on pages 2/3; What is not covered.

http://media.michelinman.com/content...omise_Plan.pdf
Those are passenger/LT truck tire warranties. How about commercial tires that we use on our coaches?

"Material added to a tire after leaving a factory

producing Goodyear tires (examples: tire fillers,

sealants or balancing substances). If the added

material is the cause of the tire being removed from

service, the tire will not be adjusted
."

aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
I have not heard of anyone saying that their tire was damaged by balancing beads.

I can understand the manufacturing saying they won't cover a tire under their warranty when the "beads caused the failure".
And I wouldn't be surprised if a tire manufacture tried to blame tire failures on the beads (even if you ran over a nail and the tire shredded - anything to get out of providing the warranty) - but it is still unlikely (or unreported) that these balance beads will, or have, caused any tire failures.

I was only asking if the balancing beads "work".
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Those are passenger/LT truck tire warranties. How about commercial tires that we use on our coaches?

"Material added to a tire after leaving a factory

producing Goodyear tires (examples: tire fillers,

sealants or balancing substances). If the added

material is the cause of the tire being removed from

service, the tire will not be adjusted
."

https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...gMaterials.pdf

IMO any warranty information published after the date of this bulletin would supersede the bulletin. The bulletin addresses warranty information.

For a better description of any of Michelin's truck tires consult their truck tire data book. It's easily found on the WWW.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #36

Four years ago I had a set of Michelins installed on my Motorhome and TCI recommended equal, I took it back 3 times complaining, they finally removed the equal from the front tires and spin balanced which helped some. They have never ridden smooth. At three year old one blew out and was replaced with a Goodyear (What road service was able to locate) which improved the ride. Now at 4 years I am considering replacing the Michelins with Toyo.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:54 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Four years ago I had a set of Michelins installed on my Motorhome and TCI recommended equal, I took it back 3 times complaining, they finally removed the equal from the front tires and spin balanced which helped some. They have never ridden smooth. At three year old one blew out and was replaced with a Goodyear (What road service was able to locate) which improved the ride. Now at 4 years I am considering replacing the Michelins with Toyo.

I have toyo tires on both of my motorhomes. They are awesome. I am a solid believer in those tires.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #38

I've used all kinds of balancing media over the last 10+ years, from back when Equal first came out, to running golf balls inside a set of 44" Super Swampers on a big lifted truck, to now selling a superior product that is similar to Dynabeads but like half the price. My company specializes in off road trucks and I've owned several trucks with 40" or bigger tires (I have one on 41" right now, one on 47", building another on 45"). The thing with tire diameters like this is that it's almost impossible to balance a tire with that much sidewall, when all you do is use wheel weights. So the balancing media works great since it can actually be where the tread is.

I'm new to motorhomes, but I can say that all of the years running different balancing media, selling it, having friends run it... I don't know of a single issue, other than in the early days when Equal would clump up from moisture inside the tire and would sometimes clog up the tire valve (this was before TPMS was even a thing). With the Dynabeads, they are basically metal BBs that are coated so they don't rust and don't make noise. I run them on my 2014 Ram 2500 with 37" Toyo MTs, the wheel weights couldn't balance the tires all the way by themselves. I've been running beads for a couple of years at least and no issues at all. The faster I go, the smoother it feels.

One down side to beads is that it does take some centrifugal force to get them to work. You may find that you'll have some weird vibrations (very minor) at lower speeds. Once you hit 40 mph, they seem to work great.

I'm not here to sell anything, just offering my experience. If my new motorhome has tire balancing issues, I wouldn't hesitate to use balancing beads. But if anybody needs a good source for balancing beads, we sell an 8 oz bag for $12.99 and can do any amount above or below that, we just bag and weigh them as they are sold. You can also buy Airsoft BBs basically anywhere, they work pretty well but aren't as heavy as the beads we use.
djgaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #39

I have been using beads in my dolly with good results. But for the next tire change on the coach I think I am going with the Centramatics for many of the same reasons stated previously. Want to get rid of the balance powder and the filtered valve stem cores that limit the time it takes to adjust air pressure.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #40

American Coach Owners Club
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

« Batteries | TPTM? »