Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the gubmint way....

There are those that follow all rules religiously, those that break all the rules they can, and those that adhere to rules if they make sense. (most do)

No way on God's green earth that seating a tire on a rim will cause explosion. No way. Once seated, the amount of air pressure is barely higher than atmospheric pressure.

I have seen a new car tire explode while seating the bead. The wire bead bundle broke.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post
I have seen a new car tire explode while seating the bead. The wire bead bundle broke.

Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
Ditto
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For the above posters what happened when it exploded. Did the bead just come off of the tire. Did it shoot pieces of the tire out. What was the result?
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #32

Commercial Member

Did they confirm a tensile failure of the bead wire or if the wire had been cut?

See X-Ray HERE
Old 10-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post

Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060

I enjoy learning something new, but please provide details. A bead-bust is done by applying air while man-handling the tire until the tire retains air around the whole rim, at which point it bulges and then pops onto the bead.

That point might be 40-50 psi. This is the point at which more and more air is added...making a potential hazard while pressures increase to 100psi or better.

My curiosity is centered on how a NEW tire can have a bead failure that will come apart at lower pressures. Any links to NTSB studies?
Old 10-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
It would not be unsafe to air a tire until it popped (after which caging it for full inflation)
Better cage it the whole time, there have been people killed just while trying to seat the bead.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I do not know why I am voicing my opinion. I guess just to see my name on the list. I never intend to mount another tire in my life unless it is one of those 8 inch tires on my pressure washer and they do not have a lot of pressure. What ever method the people I hire to do that uses is up to them. I just sit in the waiting room and read my book until they are done
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #36

Tire BALANCING question

One of the guys at the local gun shop was airing up a tire on a two wheeled hand truck. Apparently too much pressure and blew his thumb off! Ironic-it wasn't gun related.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, #51334. C9 CAT
Old 10-13-2014, 11:28 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
For the above posters what happened when it exploded. Did the bead just come off of the tire. Did it shoot pieces of the tire out. What was the result?

It was over twenty years ago when I worked at a tire store. I worked the sales side and heard a huge boom in the shop. Nobody was hurt other than ringing ears and the tire installer had a sore hand from the tire slapping it. The tire was on one of the horizontal mounting machines that had a cone shaped deal that screwed down and centered the rim on the machine. The wire bundle broke and the tire had a radial split from the bead out to the tread. There were no flying parts.

Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #38

Commercial Member

Quote:
I enjoy learning something new, but please provide details. A bead-bust is done by applying air while man-handling the tire until the tire retains air around the whole rim, at which point it bulges and then pops onto the bead.

That point might be 40-50 psi. This is the point at which more and more air is added...making a potential hazard while pressures increase to 100psi or better.

My curiosity is centered on how a NEW tire can have a bead failure that will come apart at lower pressures. Any links to NTSB studies?
Few points
NTSB is involved with commercial transportation like trains & planes. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is concerned with cars and related private vehicles used on highways. I have never heard of a bead burst study that didn't involve a tire size / wheel size mis-match.

Not sure what you mean by " bead-bust" The proper term is bead seating. This occurs usually at pressures from 3 to 15 psi unless the wheel is improperly made. I have identified a few wheels in my time that were larger than the Max spec. In those cases it is possible to break the bead bundle if the operator improperly exceeds the max inflation stated on the tire or if in some cases tries to mount a 16" tire on 16.5" wheel

RE New tire failure.
While it is possible to have a bead failure usually the damage is done to the tire when it is not mounted or when a tire is improperly dismounted from a wheel.
It may have appeared to be a new tire that failed but unless you were working in the tire shop I am not sure how you know the tire's history. Bead wire is High Tensile wire with multiple strands as seen in the X-Ray in my post. Tires are designed to withstand many times the inflation pressure. There is a safety warning on most tire sidewalls advising the max seating pressure.

There have been recalls due to damaged bead area rubber but this results in air leak not breakage of the steel bead wire.

Let me know if there are more questions.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #39
mff

out of round

find a shop that will "cut it round" and balance the tire on the vehicle

had this done to our RV in SA TX, solved our problem that had caused us problems for two yrs
mff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:49 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mff View Post
find a shop that will "cut it round" and balance the tire on the vehicle

had this done to our RV in SA TX, solved our problem that had caused us problems for two yrs

I'd like to think that there's a shop in either Mobile or Pensacola, but first I want the mounting shop to rotate the tire on the rim, or switch the bad tire with one from the rear.
Before any of that happens, though, I want them to spin the wheel to make sure it's round.

Shaving a tire is one thing, the the side-to-side runout is another problem to address. Doubt that it's mounted poorly because it's holding air fine.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #41

I just put on 8 new Michelins. The shop has a spin balancer. The shop foreman (I have known for years) recommended sand bags instead of spin balance...after storage in the winter the sand will rebalance and compensate for the "flat spots" until the tires are refreshed and worked over in the spring after storage. Tires run smooth as silk with no tire vibrations anywhere.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #42

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've never balanced the rear tires and I don't get any vibration up until 85-90 mph then I can feel some.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote