Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2020, 04:12 PM   #1

Tire blowout runflat bands

Was quoted $4500 for these bands! Does not really seem they should be that much. Anyone with experience on these. Been used in military and security for quite some time in europe and north america.
bogeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2020, 07:17 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I assume you're referring to the RettroBand product. If you don't think it's worth it for you, then don't buy them.

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #3

You still have to be prepared and take control when a steer tire blows out. Folks are lulled into a false sense of security by devices claiming to prevent accidents suffered by blow out victims. Usually the operator is not prepared and freezes or panics and over corrects steering input. Keep both hands on the wheel and maintain a relaxed state of alertness and know how to handle a blow out. There are many driver safety videos out there. So be prepared!
Old 02-03-2020, 09:43 AM   #4

There are other threads on this. Bottom line: say “NO!!”.

Here’s one: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/inte...ce-434191.html

First, they do not prevent blowouts. All they do is, in some cases, keep the damaged tire on the rim. This might be useful if driving a Humvee in enemy fire.

Other threads list a number of police departments that bought many of them and then ditched them in a year or so. They make changing tires more difficult and didn’t help much, in part because most of the time the vehicle keeps the tire while stopping without them.

They should cost about 90% less.

In any case, first get a TPMS. Check pressure each day before heading out and you will reduce (already low) probability of a blowout. Also read up on how to handle front tire blowout ( accelerator first!).

Edit: after watching video this product differs from those addressed earlier. They address the flatter one she shows in the video. This one appears better and may reduce the installation hassle. But comment directly above still applies.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:09 AM   #5

How much is your life and your wife or S/O worth? If you are a FMCA member you can get the Michelin Advantage plan. My son just got a set of tires (6) for his Bus Which is a diesel. He put TOYOs on. I believe he paid 3- grand. I put a set Of BF Goodrich on our bus 6 years ago and paid $ 3,200. Bf Goodrich are made by Michelin. I am thinking about putting two tires on the front for now as we are going to Maine and Newfoundland in May from Florida. my life and my wife’s live are worth it. Enjoy the journey.
Culpkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:18 AM   #6

If having this RettroBand installed makes you feel more secure and allows you to enjoy RVing more..... (less stress),....it's your money.
On the other hand, there's drivers like myself who actually know that whenever a front steer tire on a large motorhome suddenly fails, a "side force" does NOT appear. And, stepping on the accelerator does NOT suddenly produce more stability to the vehicle. For us, it's easy to simply keep on doing what you were already doing, STEER with the steering wheel and stay in you lane. Turn on your 4-way emergency lights, gently slow down, and pull over as soon as it's safe.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:29 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
If having this RettroBand installed makes you feel more secure and allows you to enjoy RVing more..... (less stress),....it's your money.
On the other hand, there's drivers like myself who actually know that whenever a front steer tire on a large motorhome suddenly fails, a "side force" does NOT appear. And, stepping on the accelerator does NOT suddenly produce more stability to the vehicle. For us, it's easy to simply keep on doing what you were already doing, STEER with the steering wheel and stay in you lane. Turn on your 4-way emergency lights, gently slow down, and pull over as soon as it's safe.
Cloud Dancer....while a front tire failure may not cause "A Side Force" it does affect the direction the motorhome wants to go and that is the to the same side as the tire failure.....and by increasing the acceleration it will definitely help you regain the ability to steer the motorhome straight ahead and once that is accomplished,then foot off the accelerator and coast to a straight ahead stop without using the brakes,which will make it difficult to steer the motorhome .....C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:14 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Have you investigated the Tyron Bands, which were the original tire blow-out protection device. They were around $3k the last I heard.

http://www.tyron-usa.com/

However, I'm another one who feels that the danger of a front tire blow out on a motorhome is vastly overstated. Not a pleasant experience to be sure (been there, done that!), but rarely a rampaging, out of control situation either. Stay calm, steer gently and slow gradually as you move to the shoulder.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:16 PM   #9

Chuckster52, think about what you said:...".....it will definitely help you regain the ability to steer the motorhome straight ahead......"
Obviously, if you are not incapacitated by the blowout, you have plenty of ability to steer the motorhome such that you can remain in your lane (if you are on pavement). If you are not on pavement, by definition you have lost control. Are you saying that depressing the accelerator when you are pointing away from your lane is what's expected from a driver who has lost control? I don't think so. Now, if you haven't strayed from your lane, that means to me that you REMAINED in full and proper control of the steering wheel. All of the blowout instructional videos show how easy and effortless it is to steer the motorhome, even with a failed front steer tire.
There's only one set of circumstances which will give the driver the impression that a side force appeared when the front tire suddenly failed. It's a scenario in which the side force already existed. The formula for this force is: centripetal force equals mass x velocity squared divided by the radius.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:45 PM   #10

If you are really considering these type of add-ons, get all the info you can on them and then call at least 5 or more truck tire road service firms and see if they can help you with a flat on a tire so equipped. Also as part of your research, see if you need any special tools or equipment to dismount and remount a tire on a wheel so equipped. Company claims of "everyone can do it" should definitely be viewed with caution. Ask them for names close to you so you can call them. And then call!

Personally, I think these items are great ways to separate timid RV'ers from their money. We've got over 250,000 miles on three class A's including 9 trips driven to Alaska and have NEVER had a flat on the front. In all cases where I have had a tire go down, the Tire Pressure Monitoring System picked it up before I had any problem. But... Your money, your choice.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:58 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Personally, I think these items are great ways to separate timid RV'ers from their money.

Ditto. It's aftermarket gadget marketing 101 - convince people they have a safety problem, even though they never dreamed it existed. Then sell them a high-dollar solution for it, whether it actually does much to help or not.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:39 PM   #12

All you hemen and experts try telling the people that have died from front tire blowouts that they don’t need any help. Yes, I have a set and I dare say I’m as capable of handling a Mh as any of you. Not only do the Retrobands only allow the Mh to drop half as far if you do have a blowout they allow you to continue to drive, albeit slower, to a safe place. They also save your rim.
I know women drive as well as men, but due to arm strength I wouldn’t let my wife drive without the Retrobands.
I haven’t had any reason to use my insurance for the last 30 years, but that doesn’t keep me from paying for it every year.
If nothing ever happened to a vehicle we wouldn’t need insurance, Retrobands, safetsteer etc, but stuff does happen and I certainly wouldn’t try talking someone out of an item that could quite likely save their life in a blowout situation.
As far as changing a tire if you have a blowout with the Retrobands installed you won’t have a problem getting them off. To release them to change a tire without a blow out only requires a socket and ratchet or air wrench.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #13

Are they guaranteed? What I mean is if I had them and I still panicked and died could my estate sue for a refund?
Old 02-04-2020, 01:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
Are they guaranteed? What I mean is if I had them and I still panicked and died could my estate sue for a refund?
Sounds like a real expert question.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote