Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #1

Found this video on the Michelin Tire Web Site. I learned something from it, maybe someone else will to.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv/toolbox/video...p#The_Critial_Factor

2009 Saturn VUE XE FWD
Phrog Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #2

Found this video on the Michelin Tire Web Site. I learned something from it, maybe someone else will to.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv/toolbox/video...p#The_Critial_Factor

2009 Saturn VUE XE FWD
Phrog Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:36 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very good information, Thank you
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:34 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you as well! Interesting information!

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #5

I hope everyone will check this film strip. There isn't anyone that will not learn from it.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I watched it a few years ago, used it yesterday when 2 yearold left front blew. Had just checked tire temps 2 miles before & checked air pressure that morning. It sure did come in handy, took the lurch out immediately. The bad part was Coachnet couldn't find some one to change the tire, finally gave up as I was in a roaming area & couldn't get messages. Changed it myself, but didn't like doing it.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:38 AM   #7

Very good video
Internation500HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:21 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
i got one for our gs chapter. our pres. made copies for our members. Very informative. something i didn't learn in the law enforcment academy years ago. when we get sure of our selves- watch out!!!
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:59 AM   #9

They handed the video out at Spartan rally this year.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This past Sunday, I had the opportunity (misfortune) to test the principles espoused in the film. I experienced a catastrophic failure if my right front tire at approximately 55 mph (just topped a hill with cruise control set at 60 mph) when the right front tire exploded. It did not go Pppssssssttt as it slowly deflated. It exploded. A retired Marine Sergeant Major who was behind my coach at the time, and kind enough to stop to help, said that if he didn't know better, he would have thought we had run over a land mine. I've never run over a land mine, but I can imagine that it may well sound like that noise we heard and felt.

For comparison purposes, here is a couple of pictures of tire that I posted earlier for comparison with "Fat Boy" singles on the rear of the coach.

RF 275/80R22.5 LRG XZE®

From rear angle

Here is the same tire (with a little over 18,000 miles on it) last Sunday after I got the coach stopped on the side of the road.

Close up

Different angle.

With the cruise set the coach was just starting to pick up a little speed after cresting the hill and starting downhill with a curve to the left when the tire blew. I had to tap the brake to disengage the cruise then got back on the accelerator to maintain control. I gently eased it down until I could pull off the highway without losing control.

Coach on roadside.

Coach position showing hill & curve.

I credit following the principles shown in the film, along with the Safety T Plus installed over two years ago, and the grace of God, making it possible for me to safely stop the coach and not wind up in the big ditch just out of sight in picture. There was no noticeable pull to the right. FHP Trooper Campbell, who stopped to assist and keep passing traffic from running into the coach, said most times with a major tire failure the coach is wrecked with serious damage and many times with injuries. My insurance company (Progressive) has estimated the damage to the at $3800 plus the cost of the tire. Progressive has already written a check to get the coach fixed.

Tire that blew was a Michelin 275/80R22.5 XZE LRG inflated to 105 psi cold. Both front tires were showing a running pressure (via Pressure Pro system) of 116 psi shortly before tire failure.

I replaced both front tires with Michelin 275/80R22.5 LRH XZA3®

I hope this helps anyone who may find themselves in similar circumstances.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #11

historyljc, great job! glad your ok. i'm sure you will keep us informed. jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:19 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
historyljc, sorry to hear of your tire problem. I experienced the same issue last Oct on the Adventurer I had. The tire blew off half of the side panel at the wheel.

My tires were only 2 years old and properly inflated to weight. Progressive adjuster told me the the most of blowouts they see are Michelin tires. Like you with the Sate-T-Plus and grace of God I was able to easily pull off the highway into the median. I was going quite a bit faster than you and passing a semi. I think he had to change his underwear when the tire blew. I was with a convoy of people heading to California and the ones behind me said all they could see was a cloud of white smoke when when the tire blew because the truck hit his brakes so hard. I heard the tire blow but honestly with that Safe-T-Plus never felt the blow out. I did not replace the tires with Michelins. Then I bought another coach in Dec. The first thing I did when I bought my Journey was to add the Safe-T-Plus.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:48 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think he had to change his underwear when the tire blew. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've already bought some new ones.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I heard the tire blow but honestly with that Safe-T-Plus never felt the blow out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
But for the racket and vibration caused by the tire beating on the wheel well, I don't think it would have been all that bad. I've fired mortars that didn't make that much noise when fired. Then the tire beat itself (what was left of it) to pieces as we were stopping.

Less than 45 minutes from home. Sure ruined my supper time.

Thanks for your concern and comments.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:59 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by historyljc:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think he had to change his underwear when the tire blew. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've already bought some new ones.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I heard the tire blow but honestly with that Safe-T-Plus never felt the blow out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
But for the racket and vibration caused by the tire beating on the wheel well, I don't think it would have been all that bad. I've fired mortars that didn't make that much noise when fired. Then the tire beat itself (what was left of it) to pieces as we were stopping.

Less than 45 minutes from home. Sure ruined my supper time.

Thanks for your concern and comments. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did that comming out of Vero Beach several months back. Thankfully all the damage was to the mud flaps and no people or other parts of the coach were hurt. Ruined my supper time also.

Blessing counting time indeed. A while back a family lost a child in a Damon bunkhouse model when the steel belts came through the wheel well during a blowout.

Glad you only had property damage and kept your dignity (shorts) intact.